Last stand before lap band

Options
Greetings,

With all of the new information learned about my health, I am giving myself an ultimatum to either lose a significant amount of weight. (300 to 225) or else get the lap band surgery (Only step left is one more meeting with the dietician, phycologist, and attend 1 additional seminar).

Fifty-Three year old former sports active individual whose never had to try to lose weight, but can achieve anything I set out to do.

Good luck to me.

Replies

• lorilynette
    lorilynette Posts: 39
    Options
    Good luck to you! I wish you strength on your journey.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you can do it. Just keep focused. If ican help let me know. Check out my profile for a few tips and bit of my story
  • EllieHall
    EllieHall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your last stand. But let me also say that lap band is not a drastic move. I had my surgery about 18 months ago. It has really helped me keep my promises to myself and maintain my new healthier lifestyle. It is definitely not a quick fix, you still have to make the right choices but it helps to have the band and the support team of the doctors and nutritionist to help you in your journey.

Good luck in all of your endeavors.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You will find lots of support here. I am trying to lose weight on my own because I don't want gastric bypass.
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Welcome and good luck, this is a great site
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude - make a go for it. The lab band is a huge intrusion into your body. I hope you won't need it!
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!! I hope you have a lot of support around you. It is going to be a tough road. I hope you are able to lose weight on your own with out the lap band surgery just for the fact that you don't gain muscle from getting the surgery, and most of the time you end up with lots of extra skin, and that causes other body image issues. I think the first step you should take (other than speaking with a dietician) is to get up and walk.... walk in place durring tv commercials... go for a walk after dinner. Its amazing how much walking can do for you, not only physically, but mentally as well. I love evening walks! But either route you take, I know you will do well, and it will be the right choice for you. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! Keep your eyes forward and your head up and you can achieve this weight loss :)
  • honeybeaa
    honeybeaa Posts: 2
    Options
    You can do it! Slowly but Surely!! I am rooting for you!:smile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! You can do it. If you ever need inspiration check out t he success boards. MFP can help us all do amazing. :) Friends to help a long the way!
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I know you can do it. I need 35 pounds and it is a slow go but I am seeing progress. I think starting this first is a good idea for you. My son in law did the surgery. He never knew how to eat well. He lost lots of weight but because of lack of knowing what to do... guess what, it is all coming back. The surgery was a quick fix and it was needed. His health was poor. But after it was all said and done, he really needed to abandon old ways and practice good eating habits.
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    You can do it!!! Don't take the easy way out.
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you, I would defintly try loosing the weight with diet and exercise first. I think the lap band is a wonderful option for some people, however it is surgery and there are complications associated with it. Being a nurse in General Surgery, I have seen the complicatins first hand. Good luck to you on your journey to a healthier you!!!!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have just seen a first on here......You don't gain muscle from the lap band!!! .....WOW......People need to be educated!!!! You are instructed to excercise! it would be no different than some one with out the lap band cutting back calories, losing weight and not excercising how would they gain muscle??

F.Y.I A person with a heavier build actually has strong muscle underneath. There bones are also stronger! How else would they be able to move without breaking a bone or keeping thier mobility!!!!

The lap band and gastric by pass are just tools to aid someone in thier weight loss. It is usually used as a last resort when all other methods have failed, and your at some serious health risks!!! With both procedures you still have to watch what you eat, and EXCERCISE!!!!

I think it's great if someone can lose weight without having bariatric surgery. But sometimes people are ticking against the clock and have to do what is medically necessary for them.

Yes there is the sagging skin issue, but anyone who drops a significant amount of weight is going to have sagging skin. I'd much rather deal with sagging skin over not being able to tie my own shoes or wipe my own *kitten*!!!!!
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    You sound very positive so far, so I suggest you lose this naturally. It will take longer, but there is less risk in a non-surgical option and you will look MUCH better in the end. Also, if your weight gain is related to emotional eating or food addiction there is one important statement to consider: A stomach surgery doesn't cure a problem in your head.
  • los4825
    los4825 Posts: 6
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience. I had the lap band done 2 years ago and totally regret it. I only lost 40 lbs in the first year and a half and actually started gaining weight back. It never makes you feel full. Only makes you feel like you can't swallow your food and it gets stuck right by your throat. So you find ways to cheat. And yes there are plenty of ways.

So one day I finally woke up and decided that I was going to do this the right way. I began eating every 3 hours and working out for 2 hours a day. What are my results??? 90 lbs lost in 7 months. I now have it tweaked to only working out 1 hour a day and even though I haven't lost any weight in a month, I did lose 2% body fat (gained muscle). I am now down to 19% body fat.

Midway thru my weight loss I went to my doctor to ask him to remove the liquid from my band so I could eat normally. Even though he saw my huge weight loss he didn't want to, but I insisted and he did. 3 months later I went for my follow up and had lost 30 more lbs. Now I am going to have the band removed.

If you want to talk more about the surgery or what I did, feel free to message me.
  • SherleeTxn
    SherleeTxn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck and God's blessings!