What's your chocolate substitute?

Options
Rheameg
Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
My next big trouble is my chocolate craving after a meal. What silences your sweet tooth?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Very good quality, high cocoa % dark chocolate. I can knock off half a block of milk chocolate without blinking, but 10-20 grams of really good dark stuff and I'm happy.
  • fitdanes
    fitdanes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try eating a chocolate protein bar or something. They also have 100 calorie brownies or other "treats" you could use :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I just eat chocolate.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate most days. Don't substitute, you'll never really feel satisfied. Just control your portions. If I'm low on calories and desperate I might have a no sugar added chocolate pudding instead.
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I substitute my chocolate with CHOCOLATE
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Fudge pops, skinny cow ice cream bars, Jello pudding cups, cocoa dusted almonds, chocolate yogurt or Greek yogurt, chocolate chips, Hershey's cocoa powder
  • Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Hahaha I don't trust myself with portion control on my sweets yet.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have one piece of dark chocolate after lunch every day. I may or may not ask my colleague to hide the chocolate from me and just give me the one piece a day... :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When I want chocolate I have chocolate. Not hard to fit a 50-60 cal square of dark chocolate into my day if I really need it. Or cocoa flavored peanuts. Or chocolate cheerios. Or chocolate graham crackers. Or mini oreos. I think you get the picture lol. And then there's this recipe.... http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/02/03/how-to-make-100-calorie-moist-chocolate-cupcakes/
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened chocolate almond milk is pretty solid.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like one Dove chocolate. Take out one, then put the bag away right away so you don't feel tempted to eat more than one. If you take small bites and let each one melt in your mouth, one square can last several minutes and is only ~40 calories (depending on what kind you get.) Diet hot cocoa is nice also, though if you don't like artificial sweetener the aftertaste can be a little too much.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Chocolate has no substitute. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. That could mean anything from reeses, to a square or a whole bar of dark chocolate, real creamy chocolate ice cream or chocolate frozen yogurt. Or cocoa powder in greek yogurt. Whatever fits or the day (or doesn't quite fit completely, if you're looking at today's diary entry :))
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread about beating sugar cravings.

I used to be able to eat 2 full size chocolate bars at one sitting.

Now, half a bar once a week is satisfying and maybe tastes a bit too sweet. I was able to step down the chocolate this way:

1) Switch from candy bars to individually wrapped very high quality chocolate. (The better the chocolate, the less you need to satisfy.)

2) Put it in the freezer. Whenever you want chocolate, take out 1 to thaw. (The time between craving and eating helps calm the craving). Only take out 1 at a time.

3) Step down to smaller chocolate content. I used chocolate almonds, and took only 1 serving at a time.

4) Step down to not having chocolate in the house. If you have a craving, you have to make a trip to the store.

5) Once you have control, you can safely put chocolate back in the house, to enjoy in moderation.

• PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Red Man chewing tobacco. No wait... I meant, my old mouth guard from high school. Or, if that is under the bed or something, I'll try two St Joseph's Aspirin for Children.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    sometimes, a cup of hot cocoa really helps. milk, cocoa powder, a bit of your choice of sweetener. if you go heavy on the cocoa, it's quite heavy and filling. helps me with cravings.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Have a small quantity of really good dark chocolate like Lindt or Ghiradelli.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rheameg wrote: »

Hahaha I don't trust myself with portion control on my sweets yet.

You could try fruit. I personally don't really like fruit very much (apart from the fruits that people mistake for vegetables), I think it's often too sweet like straight sugar candy, and it definitely kills any desire for me for more sweets.

Personally though, I'd rather spend my calories on a 45 calorie Reese miniature than force myself to eat fruit.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!