Joining the Navy

Options
Hey guys, im Areyanna, Arey for short. I am 19 years old. I live with my parents, a military family. My dad is in the navy on deployment right now. Ive always wanted to join, even in high school. I graduated class of 2014 and pretty much waisted a whole year doing nothing. I knew i needed to lose weight for the Navy ever since I was in NJROTC in high school.

In January of 2015, I was 180 lbs. For my age and height (62 in) i need to be at 149 lbs. I recently went to the recruiter and was taped for body fat. I was at 33% body fat and weighed 163 lbs .( I now weight 160 lbs )

I am waiting to go to MEPS but am trying to lose this last 11 pounds so that I dont have to be taped.

I would love comments and suggestions on the best excercises i could do besides running. My recruiter says cardio!! I am pretty good with running. Anything else I could try??

Sorry for the long post, i would love some comments and suggestions or even some motivation :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Areyanna_
    Areyanna_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thought I should clarify thats if you are overweight when joining the military, you can be taped for body fat percentage and then let in. I am overweight by 11 pounds, but have 33% body fat which means i can join
  • dembly
    dembly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are definitely on the right path and well done for getting this far!

Cardio definitely works but don't discount resistance training, interval training and making sure you have strength and flexibility...

Are you increasing the length or distance of your run? What was difficult at a higher weight or lessor fitness may not be pushing your body enough now you are 20 pounds lighter!

Good luck!
  • Areyanna_
    Areyanna_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely look into resistance training and interval training.
    I do believe I am not completely pushing myself on my runs, so I will work on that also.
    Thanks for the tips.

Ps. Also working on my push-ups for boot camp. My upper body strength is not the best :'(