Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and exercise.

Options
Hi all, I was just wondering if any one has As and what exercises you do. I have been doing the biggest loser wii game 3 times a week., which I cover yoga, and circuit training on the game aso sometimes the boxer fit session. For no longer then 30 mins at a time . I also go swimming twice a week split between a hour and a half. I also walk my dog every day. I have also started jogging (indoors on the spot lol) trying to get to 10,000 steps a day, but I have heard that AS patients should not do this due the the impact on the spine. I'm very over weight so have a lot of impact on the spine as it is. But im so determind to concieve ( Also have poly cystic ovaries) Currently, the exercise is not causing me too much trouble. What exercises do you find easier on your spine and other joints?
Jess :-)

Replies

• rahmba
    rahmba Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jess,
    I have AS and I do spin 2-3x/week, yoga 1x/wk, sit-ups 3x/wk, light weights 2x/wk. My FAVORITE is yoga, it's the best pill around :-)
    Check with phys therapist on what you should be doing. I think the medical advice has changed over time and I believe as long as it's not causing trouble, then you should do it. There are some AS folks doing triathlons. It's such an individual disease. For me, treadmill is tough on my hips and walking is tough on my back. check out http://www.spondylitis.org/about/exercise_posture.aspx
  • FatherOfAlex
    FatherOfAlex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just created a group for AS. Surprised one didn't already exist. Feel free to join. I just figured it would be a good way to find and provide support. Search for "Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis" in groups.