Ankylosing Spondylitis (Form of Arthritis) and exercise.

Options
Hey MFP world.

I am 28 and consider myself healthy, minus the one chronic disease I have. This makes it very painful, but not impossible, to run. So instead I do a lot of walking. Since my days of playing collegiate lacrosse are over and I am no longer as physically fit and watched over as I was previously by trainers, doctors etc, I want to begin adding in some low impact exercises to help increase my endurance.

My weight and size are where I want to be, but I really really want to get back to the point that I can at least do a few sprints without being winded before the pain sets in.

Any tips for low impact endurance builders?

Thanks!

-ZE

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Bump

Any physical therapists around here?
  • ZombieJmau5
    ZombieJmau5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Bump

Anyone?
  • ZombieElephant
    ZombieElephant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess no one around can help us. Oh well!

I'll keep on trying.

kickas.org has some great information too.

-ZE
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Sorry :(

I hope you find what you need :smile:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Is there an issue with one of the vertebrae in your spine which is out of alignment? I'm not sure if I have the exact same condition with my back but I do have a similar issue. I'm not a physical therapist but have dealt with many back issues. Has your doctor given you the go ahead for cycling? I can ride my bike outdoors and in spin class with no back issues. Using the elliptical also seems to do just fine.
    These are some workouts that are agreeable with my back. I hope you can find something you can do which won't cause you any pain! Take care and good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • FatherOfAlex
    FatherOfAlex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just created a group for AS. Surprised one didn't already exist. Feel free to join. I just figured it would be a good way to find and provide support. Search for "Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis" in groups.