Glutamine ? For healing the gut..

Options
WorkInProgress909
WorkInProgress909 Posts: 271 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey, please share your experience with Glutamine and any benefits noticed from taking it.
I heard it is great for healing the gut and also cutting cravings so I would like to try it, but is it safe? Has anyone heard of any negatives about it?

Is it ok to put this into your body.. I hate putting unclean/processed food into my body and since this comes in a powder my instinct tells me its bad.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What does "healing the gut" mean? If your gut needs healing you should probably be having surgery.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Glutamine is the most common amino acid in almost every protein you'll ever eat. It is the most common amino acid in humans. It is a completely non-essential amino acid that can be made from conversion of many other amino acids. Why would you ever need to supplement it for gut health?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your concern about "clean" and "unprocessed" is worrying. Were you in treatment?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Do you have IBS and surgery is the next route your doctor recommends?
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've never had positive gut effects from using Glutamine. Sounds like a load of bologna. I supplement it after a heavy weight lifting session. Sometimes I find it helps with recovery and sometimes I don't notice a difference. My pre-workout and intra/post workout amino acids already have glutamine in them anyway.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Sorry, I missed that your surgery comment was in reply to the other person mentioning it.
    I just don't see what impact an amino acid could have on the digestive issues. If anything, I think it would just add load the digestive track's processing, but I don't know anything specific about that for glutamine.
    Did a double check on Examine.com, what I see:
    https://examine.com/supplements/Glutamine#summary7-2
    7. Interactions with Intestinal Health

7.1. Protein Synthesis

Glutamine supplementation has been shown to stimulate protein synthesis in the gut of healthy humans to a similar potency as mixed amino acids.[55]

7.2. Intestinal Integrity/Permeability

Glutamine is investigated to aiding a 'leaky gut' as it is a regulator of intestinal tight junction barriers.[56] Intentional depletion of intracellular glutamine and inhibition of glutamine synthesis in vitro leads to rapid increases in gut permeability.[57][58][59] In the absence of dietary glutamine, de novo synthesis via glutamine synthetase is the main soruce of glutamine.[56]

Glutamine has been implicated in also alleviating the increased permeability done to the gut by acetaldehyde, the metabolite of Alcohol[60] as well as chemotherapy[61] and radiation therapy.[62] Glutamine can alleviate the increase in permeability associated with sepsis in vivo, but not prevent it.[63]

In an intervention study on preterm infants, it was demonstrated that glutamine supplementation at 0.3g/kg could aid in intestinal integrity and reduce the occurrence of septicemia and increase recovery;[64] and these results have been replicated with both positive[65] and negative results.[66]

A study with 15g oral glutamine on critically ill patients did not find significant decreases in intestinal permeability.[67]

At least one study has shown glutamine, in adults, to confer protection from adverse chemotherapy induced changes in intestinal permeability.[68]

7.3. Crohn's Disease

Crohn's disease is a disease characterized by increased intestinal permeability as well as an inflammatory response in the intestinal membrane.

One study using 21g oral glutamine daily in a small sample size noted that glutamine was not effective in reducing intestinal permeability associated with Crohn's Disease.[69] A response to this study concurred with reports of a study done on children with Crohn's having the same results[70] and hypothesized that the benefits of glutamine on the intestinal wall could be getting negated by glutamine enhancing T-cell and Nitric Oxide function,[71] of which are adverse pathology associated with Crohn's disease.[70] These results are supported by one study using intravenous glutamine at 0.3g/kg finding no apparent benefit.[72]

In contrast to the null effects, a more recent study found improvements in intestinal permeability associated with both glutamine and the active control of Whey Protein protein, both at 0.5g/kg bodyweight daily for 2 months,[73] and one intravenous study has noted improvements in intestinal permeability.[74] It is hypothesized that this may be due to the higher dosage of glutamine used.[73]

7.4. Water absorption

Glutamine has also been shown to aid in the uptake of water from the gut, potentially leading it to be a rehydration aid. However, the increase seen, when compared to other methods such as glucose or sodium is neglibible.[75]
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about probiotics? Do you take them?