What foods do you meal prep with?

Options
I always make my lunch for work the night before, but I think I'm going to start doing it on Sunday night for the whole weekend.

What do you like to meal prep with?

I eat a lot of chicken, rice and veggies (broccoli, carrots, onions, bell peppers).

I don't usually like salad or sweet potatoes.

I'm also nervous the chicken won't last...will it be good for 5 days? I guess I could just freeze it...

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I use the 2-day rule on chicken. Most people think that's very limiting, though. They might be right. Five days would scare me, though.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I use the 2-day rule on chicken. Most people think that's very limiting, though. They might be right. Five days would scare me, though.

What do you make for the rest of the week? :)
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Rice is a great carb and filler. I meal prep on Sunday. Same as you, grilled chicken, rice, and green veggies like broccoli or edamame. You said you don't like sweet potatoes but try putting turkey chili over them. Very filling and healthy. Cook a large turkey breast in a crock pot for a meal on Monday or Tuesday evening and use the left over turkey instead of the chicken with your rice and veggies.

Add me and we can exchange ideas and recipes.
  • countrybeau01
    countrybeau01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My meal preps usually last 5 days. Each of my meals contains usually the same thing. Chicken, broccoli, and rice. These are just my meals when I am not at home too. It is a pain cooking all your meals at once, but it takes away any temptation of eating fast food or bad food outside of your home. My other three meals I do make at home; Meal one (breakfast time), and meal 6 (usually dinner time), and meal 7 before bed. Food prep is ideal for reaching your goals, fueling your body, and staying away from the dreaded fast food chains. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't meal prep very far in advance but I'll get the "base" of my salads weighed and ready. Usually greens, black beans, tomato, mushroom, shrimp/tuna/turkey, chipotle hot sauce, avocado, and a laughing cow cheese but I keep it in the wrapper until it's time to eat.
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of the tips! :)
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I make just about anything for meal preps. I get bored eating the same stuff all the time (not knocking it at all because that's what works for some people, but I just lose interest). Some of my usuals are Loaded potato soup (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html), salsa chicken (just put chicken breast or thighs in the crockpot with a cup of salsa and some cumin for 4-6 hours on low and shred it with two forks when done- can be used for tacos, burritos, naked burrito bowls, or quesadillas), Spaghetti with ground turkey, sausages, or meatballs, turkey meatloaf with roasted parmesean green beans, Chicken salad (to make sandwiches with through the week), and baked fish. Basically anything I would normally cook I just make in a large batch and portion out.
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    I think I'll definitely be trying the soup and salsa chicken! Makes me hungry already!
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cook pasta, toss in a little oil, and fridge/freeze in bags. I also do chicken pieces and a few kinds of vegetable, rice. That way I can mix/match a carb, meat, and vegetable to satisfy wanting varied meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

What do you make for the rest of the week? :)

I'm not Kalikel, but I often make double what I need for dinner and use the leftovers for lunch over the next couple of days (often with different sides).

For Sunday meal prep I tend to like to make a batch of some kind of meat in the slow cooker (often a turkey part, but also stuff like osso bucco or pork shoulder--anything I couldn't so easily do during the week because the cooking time is longer), and then I cook up veggies and other sides when cooking dinner and portion things into tupperware containers to be available as lunches or a quick dinner if I need one.

On occasion I will do the slow cooker overnight and that makes it possible to do mid-week.

If the meat hasn't been hanging around in the refrigerator when I cook it I tend to think it will be okay for 4-5 days.
  • miahh
    miahh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I meal prep by making a large batch of soup (often chicken with vegetables and some type of carb like noodles or barley) and dividing it into portions, cutting up fresh veggies to eat for 2-3 days, and fresh fruits. I also just started doing smoothie prep with frozen fruits and spinach because it has been hot and drinking my breakfast is rather convenient.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm basically a landfill and just eat whatever I can jam into my face. As long as I'm under my calories, I'm happy. I am here for ideas though because I may have to start preparing in advance soon.
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    Tonight I prepped a few rice/chicken/veggies lunches. I also portioned how much soy sauce I will use. I also prepped some of my snacks! (I portioned my fruit and my edamame)