A couple of quick questions

Options
Hi all,

I have just started using this app, I just have a few question. Some of these question may sound a bit stupid but i just want to make sure i fully understand what I'm aiming for and how the app works.

Everyday for the last week or so i have been eating 1000 calories under my goal, is that good? or should i be trying to hit that goal everyday?

My aim is to lose 2 lbs a week, how many calories should i be aiming to burn each day to achieve that target? and does anyone have any exercises they enjoy which they find works well with weight loss, anyone youtube videos to watch or apps to download.

I don't like to weigh myself, i find it depressing, should I start weigh myself? for a target and to track my progress

Does anyone have snacks they would recommend that aren't any of the obvious like fruit and nuts?

Thanks,
Milz

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You should be eating the # of calories MyFitnessPal tells you to eat. It already has a deficit built in.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    you are a male and you are not eating enough, this is not good. Not for your body but also not for your willpower. You will start feeling bad and tired at one point. And hungry, which all can lead to crashing and giving up. Which is not needed at all. As a male you need at least 1500 calories a day.

Tips are: weigh ALL your food on a food scale ( dont use cups and spoons or serving sizes but weigh everything)
    When you exercise eat 50% of those calories
    Eat around your daily allowed calories.
    Be patient, be accurate with your logging
    Get enough rest

and you will succeed.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A GOAL is something you want to reach. Therefore when MFP gives you a calorie goal you want to eat that amount. Then when you exercise you can eat more because it increases your goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NO, it's not good. You should be trying to meet your goal.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MFP didn't give you a 1,000 calorie goal as a male did it? That seems very wrong.
    I read incorrectly. OP you should be trying to eat your goal. MFP already has the deficit factored in.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The 1000 calories has already been deducted when MFP gave you your goal. That is the number you should be eating. Chronic undereating can lead to some pretty serious health issues down the line.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    milz214 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just started using this app, I just have a few question. Some of these question may sound a bit stupid but i just want to make sure i fully understand what I'm aiming for and how the app works.

Everyday for the last week or so i have been eating 1000 calories under my goal, is that good? or should i be trying to hit that goal everyday?

My aim is to lose 2 lbs a week, how many calories should i be aiming to burn each day to achieve that target? and does anyone have any exercises they enjoy which they find works well with weight loss, anyone youtube videos to watch or apps to download.

I don't like to weigh myself, i find it depressing, should I start weigh myself? for a target and to track my progress

Does anyone have snacks they would recommend that aren't any of the obvious like fruit and nuts?

Thanks,
    Milz

1. YES you should be hitting that goal. MFP tells you how much to eat to lose 2 lbs/week. You should aim to eat that much each day, plus at least half of your exercise calories.
    2. Don't aim for burning X amount of calories. Just get moving, find activities you enjoy for cardio, and start strength training. Focus on form and making gains in fitness level and results will follow.
    3. Weigh yourself. I found weighing myself every morning helped me get over the anxiety. I know that if I eat too much sodium, I will gain. I know that exercising neglected muscle groups makes me gain. All water weight. You see it often enough and it has no power, especially since the overall trend is down.
    4. Vegetables dipped in hot sauce/salsa, mozzarella cheese wrapped in deli meat, yogurt, sugar free fudgesicles for a sweet tooth.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Everyday for the last week or so i have been eating 1000....
    When you set up mfp I assume you set your goal as 2 pounds per week. So you should be eating to the number mfp say because it includes the weightloss deficit required to reach your goal.

My aim is to lose 2 lbs a week, how many calories....
    If you exercise you should eat some of the burned calories back, 50% or so. Mfp includes the deficit to lose weight and the aim is healthy stable weightloss each week. So if you run about your weightloss might be 3 pounds one week which most say is too much. I enjoy kickboxing, active, with other people, learning skills like self defence.

I don't like to weigh myself....
    You don't have to weigh your self but I prefer to weigh myself so, I like the number going down each week.

Does anyone have snacks they....
    Greek yogurt, frozen mint peas, I don't really snack.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    do you weigh everything? Are you sure you are 1000 under?
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd like to help you a little by telling you my snacks! Keep in mind though: I always work them within my daily calorie goals so portioning is crucial!

I snack on potato chips sometimes, but only the serving size a couple times a week... I used to eat a whole family size bag to my face in one sitting, lmao.

I also snack on wheat thins with a tad of cream cheese and a little blob of chunky spicy salsa, sometimes I'll eat that for lunch too, around 3-400 calories worth. Portions are everything to me now!

Think thin high protein bars are another one of my favorites... But I often eat that for my lunch as well.

I know you said not nuts but I love to have 1/4 cup unshelled pistachios too.. I don't have a food scale yet, I'm almost two months in and that's my next step to improving my routines for more accuracy :)

Trader joe's cheese puffs are another sometimes treat for me as well!