Ladies... Cycle question

Options
I have been on a doctor supervised diet for about a two months now. The first month I didn't show much difference in terms of numbers/weight but this month I'm finally getting results! Last week I lost 6 pounds but this week, after I started my cycle, I gained back four pounds!!! I feel like I haven't changed anything compared to last week so I'm trying to not get discouraged... But how much weight do you generally gain during "that time of the month"?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Well, there could be two things going on here, or a mix of both.

1) A lot of (a LOT of) people who begin aggressive diets lose a ton of weight the first week. These people typically then stall out on the second or third week. One week after that, they begin losing again at a slower rate than they were before. This rate usually becomes the rate at which they lose for the rest of their journey.

The reason for this is because your body dumps a ton of water and glucogen in that first period. (In my experience, the bigger the change on your diet, the harsher the dump, but that might not be true for everyone) You do lose some fat, but it's a small, small portion of the weight you initially see drop off. On that second week, the dump stops and the weight loss slows dramatically. This, I believe, is why a lot of people give up in that second week. After that, you begin losing fat (and some lean body mass if you're at a high deficit).

2) you might just be experiencing bloat from your TOM. I've gained 5 lbs or more on some months. I wouldn't really worry about this, if this is what's causing the gain. It'll be gone in a week. Just stay hydrated.

That being said, make sure you track this since you're on a medically-supervised diet. If it doesn't go back down again, I'm sure your doctor will want to know when the gain happened and how long it lasted.
  • jstrlv
    jstrlv Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks!
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started my period today and was wondering the same thing. How do i avoid gaining a ton of weight while on my period when all I feel like doing is eating and sleeping?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How do i avoid gaining a ton of weight while on my period when all I feel like doing is eating and sleeping?

You can't avoid water weight. The good news is it comes right back off.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right, but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." All that matters is a downward trend.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-7 lbs. every month and lose it in a big "whoosh" a day or two after my period ends.
  • jstrlv
    Options
    Oh wow! Ok! I guess I've never paid this close attention to the actual number during this time... It will be interesting to see if there is a change in a few days!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i always gain about 5 pounds during my period but it leaves some time after its over

no big deal its normal
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I gain between 6 and 12 pounds. most of it being fluid. I swell all over. it usually takes about 5 days but all the weight plus a pound or two comes off
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I started my period today and was wondering the same thing. How do i avoid gaining a ton of weight while on my period when all I feel like doing is eating and sleeping?

Very unlikely to gain--remember, it's more about the overall consumption in a given time period than what you do for a few days. Maybe set it to your sedentary maintenance and eat up to that, but if you can rein it in on the days surrounding your period, overeating will be fine. I've overeaten pretty much every month since I began. What I do now is exercise more the week before (schedule permitting). But even in months when I don't do that, I see a drop on the last day of my period.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped weighing myself for that week because I can't stand to see the numbers go up, especially when I know I'm not eating enough to have actually gained weight. I skip that week and just weigh myself the week after. I'm much happier that way :smiley: .
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I gain between 3-7 pounds. When my TOM goes, those pounds leave and they take a couple pounds with them :)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 2-3 lbs during my period.

(Also, losing 6lbs in one week is a little nutty! Possible...but nutty! It may have been a fluke weigh-in? Or a crazy whoosh?)

Anyway - what I like to do is weigh myself everyday, and enter it in a weight-tracking app. I weigh first thing in the morning, before breakfast, naked. It goes up and down so much that I don't trust just the number I happen to get each Monday, or the number that happens to be excitingly low (or too low to be real). My weekly "average" is what I enter into MFP each week.

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Oh - I also track my period on an app as well. ;)
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I usually just gain one pound during my tom
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jstrlv wrote: »
    I have been on a doctor supervised diet for about a two months now. The first month I didn't show much difference in terms of numbers/weight but this month I'm finally getting results! Last week I lost 6 pounds but this week, after I started my cycle, I gained back four pounds!!! I feel like I haven't changed anything compared to last week so I'm trying to not get discouraged... But how much weight do you generally gain during "that time of the month"?

it's water weight and mine fluctuates around ovulation and menstruation by anything up to 5lbs .. I've heard others complain of nearer 10lbs

don't sweat it .. it goes
  • jstrlv
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!!
  • dorothybooth
    dorothybooth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-7 pounds during my cycle. Luckily it usually drops off fast (as long as it wasn't over indulging gain).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I "gain 4 pounds" every weekend, when I ovulate, when I get my period....There's a very limited amount of time I can even get an accurate reading.
  • HealthyHappy619
    HealthyHappy619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! I can "lose/gain" 3-5lbs in a day regardless of my TOM. I just stay focused on the overall trend, which keeps going down. Also, I find that drinking extra water and reducing my sodium intake helps a lot to get back down after a rapid "gain".
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Lots of people "gain" when they get TOM.
    I am lucky in that way. I just stand still.

This mainly because i eat salt less ( medical reason). So i "gain" less water weight.
    But it doesn't make any difference you will lose it in the days after :)
    I shouldn't worry about it.