evening snack tips

Options
hello just starting up again and looking for some.ideas/tips on snack cravings and tips in the evening. Its my worst enemy. how did others deal with this?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day to include a snack at night.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If and when I get hungry for snack time in the evening(usually after I met my calorie goal) I'll drink a glass of water, but if that doesn't fix it then I just eat a few celery sticks...they really satisfy my need for crunch and you have to eat a pretty insane amount of sticks to even reach 100 calories lol :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Plan! I've tried to stop the night time snacking bc I used to overdo it and I just can't. So I always make sure I have calories left at the end of the day.The type of snack depends on my goals and if I'm hungry or just want dessert.

If I'm hungry it's usually cheese and crackers, popcorn if I want volume. Usually there is chocolate in there. Greek yogurt if I'm low on protein, a piece of fruit. I like sliced cucumbers with salt for a low-calorie snack. A sensible portion of anything is easy to fit :-)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tend to always include an optional snack in all my meal plans.

I love Jarrah Hot Chocs. At under 50 cal you get a satisfying hot choc drink at zero guilt! :smile:
    Else what I tend to do is just brush my teeth early or if I'm out, pop a strong mint because mint helps to stave off cravings and reduces the likelihood of you eating.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    hello just starting up again and looking for some.ideas/tips on snack cravings and tips in the evening. Its my worst enemy. how did others deal with this?

i know myself and knew before that i would like to eat in the evening

So i prepaln all my meals a day before and leave a lot of room for my evening snacks :) Every night!

• allyouwannado
    allyouwannado Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above! But my favorite nighttime snacks are a cheese string if I'm craving salts/fats, or a mug of vanilla protein powder with cinnamon sprinkled on it if I want something sweet! Helps me get sleepy too. Sleepytime tea is great if you don't have any calories to spare!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Evenings I keep back about 300 calories for and tend to snarfle snack

- ice cream: snickers, mars, fab, Solero style
    - Quavers
    - Hummus, carrots, pepper and salt & pepper popchips
    - Biscuits...that are dunk-worthy

It's my 20% treats time
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have LOTS of cals in the evening.
    Today's evening snack was
    Large Salad, Yogurt with Frozen Raspberries, Full Serving of Chocolate. (Yes, all 3 of those)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Just plan the calories. Have a general idea of macro needs. Prelog the snack.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I leave room for my snacks at night. Lately my go-to is greek yogurt. I freeze it and it's like having ice cream, but way less calories and a ton of protein!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to lose .5 pounds a week and every night I leave myself 200 calories for a snack.... If I need that snack, okay cool I have enough room .... but if I don't eat it. Yay more calories lost! It's a win win win situation.
  • faithyang
    Options
    If you don't like "diet" food or to feel like you're on a diet, you can always get one of those little individually portioned snack/fun sized chocolate bars. They are usually around 70-80 cal.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I leave room for my snacks at night. Lately my go-to is greek yogurt. I freeze it and it's like having ice cream, but way less calories and a ton of protein!
    Oikos sells frozen greek yogurt now
  • wifeofpepsiguy
    wifeofpepsiguy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awsome tips and ideas everyone!! thank you so much!!
    whats a full serving.of choc?
  • faithyang
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on the chocolate bar, doesn't it? Sometimes the cheap milk choc ones tend to allow you to "enjoy" more and the gourmet ones or dark choc ones tend to have smaller whole serves. The serving size is defined by the manufacturer and so they can do ridiculous things like say 1 serve = 1/4 a square of choc to make it seem like it has low calories per serve. See Doritos for example (11 chips for >150 cal).

For example, one square of Lindt choc bar 85% dark choc is 53 cal. A row is made of 2 squares and so it is 106 cal.

191.jpg

One square of Cadbury Snack bar is 50 cal and is 200 cal per 4 squares.

354.jpg

If you have control issues (like how I used to have) I would buy individual portions of chocolate type varieties. For example, Ferrero Rocher. (73 cal - alot more indulgent and satisfying! :D )

But if you're happy with your level of discipline, go for whatever you like and just be mindful of the calories you're eating!

ferrero_rocher.jpg.png
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love Alpro yoghurt (less sugar than ordinary Greek yoghurt, I'm a T2 diabetes person). I have 200g of that with either a tea spoon of honey or 100g of fresh pineapple. I eat it with the smallest teaspoon I have to make sure I don't inhale it :)

The other thing I've found is that boredom causes snacking for me.
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pre log as much as possible, then you can see if you have any cals spare. I was eating all my cal back but not anymore, I like to see a 'left over' amount every day if I can. Also taken up crochet, really enjoy it and I loose track of time so no time to snack!