Ready for balance

Number one on my balance agenda getting back to practicing healthy habits. I need to loose weight and increase healthy foods and stop the 0 nutrition carbs.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    kathiakara wrote: »
    Number one on my balance agenda getting back to practicing healthy habits. I need to loose weight and increase healthy foods and stop the 0 nutrition carbs.

What are 0 nutrition carbs?
  • kathiakara
    kathiakara Posts: 17 Member
    0 nutrional value carbs is what I meant. Which I feel I eat way too much.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Good for you!
  • kathiakara
  • kathiakara
    Why does every food I crave have so many calories? I wish I craved kale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2015
    I wish the woodchucks hadn't eaten my kale :(

I'm heading out to the garden to pick strawberries and swiss chard.

Hey - have you had fresh-picked kale? Cuz sometimes supermarket kale, especially the kind already chopped up in bags, is pretty tough.

Do you crave chocolate? Could actually be a magnesium deficiency: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat less calories than you burn.
    Very simple and plain and works like a charm

Just weigh all your food on a food scale ( dont go by cups and spoons or serving sizes) and log it. Try to eat around your calorie allowance and lose weight...
  • kathiakara
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hey - have you had fresh-picked kale? Cuz sometimes supermarket kale, especially the kind already chopped up in bags, is pretty tough.

Do you crave chocolate? Could actually be a magnesium deficiency: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html

I haven't had fresh kale...I bet some if these farms around here have some. Thanks for that tip, I'll have to try it.

Also, thanks for the info in magnesium deficiency, I'll have to read up on it.
  • kathiakara

Just weigh all your food on a food scale ( dont go by cups and spoons or serving sizes) and log it. Try to eat around your calorie allowance and lose weight...

Thank you, You're right I'm just trying to find some balance right now. I guess I was snacking too much without even realizing how much I was doing it so I just want to cut back a little.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Whu?
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Why does every food I crave have so many calories? I wish I craved kale.

Me too, lol
  • kshama2001
    I was craving swiss chard casserole earlier but was too tired to make it after I finished in the garden, showered, went shopping, and ate. Maybe tomorrow!

I don't cook it in all this water, but wilt it gently in just a little water: http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2008/07/alice-waterss-s.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I haven't had fresh kale...I bet some if these farms around here have some. Thanks for that tip, I'll have to try it.

Also, thanks for the info in magnesium deficiency, I'll have to read up on it.

My pleasure :)

• kathiakara
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Whu?
    Whu?
    Whu?

What?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

^^This is very good advice.

Kathiakara, there's no need to be eating kale if you don't like it, since it tastes like wet paper.

So much of the media promotes certain foods as being magic weight loss or health pills when there is actually no such thing.

Just eat less calories than your body uses, that's the main thing for losing weight.

Nutrition is a whole different topic. You can worry about proper macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) when you get into the habit of logging your calories and making your eating fit your calorie limit. And unless you have a medical condition that requires it, a balanced diet doesn't require worrying about micronutrients (vitamins, etc).

Good luck!
  • kathiakara
    Orphia wrote: »

^^This is very good advice.

Kathiakara, there's no need to be eating kale if you don't like it, since it tastes like wet paper.

So much of the media promotes certain foods as being magic weight loss or health pills when there is actually no such thing.

Just eat less calories than your body uses, that's the main thing for losing weight.

Nutrition is a whole different topic. You can worry about proper macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) when you get into the habit of logging your calories and making your eating fit your calorie limit. And unless you have a medical condition that requires it, a balanced diet doesn't require worrying about micronutrients (vitamins, etc).

Good luck!

Thank you, great info.
  • BWBTrish
    edited July 2015

Thank you, You're right I'm just trying to find some balance right now. I guess I was snacking too much without even realizing how much I was doing it so I just want to cut back a little.

I snack every evening..for over 600 calories most nights, popcorn & frozen fruits and ice cream are my favorites....And still lost almost 100 pounds now.
    So yes just count what you eat and it will work. ;)

• kathiakara

I snack every evening..for over 600 calories most nights, popcorn & frozen fruits and ice cream are my favorites....And still lost almost 100 pounds now.

Wow, that's inspiring. Thank you for sharing your experience...so helpful.
  • BWBTrish

Wow, that's inspiring. Thank you for sharing your experience...so helpful.

you can do it :) believe me!!!
    Just weigh ALL your food on a scale and log it.

• skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member