Breastfeeding a toddler

Options
hi there! So weightloss while breastfeeding is suposted to happen.. But mine isn't. I am not new to this, my son is 14 months. The first time I trained and lost weight was when he was 6 months; and I lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks. It was slow and rough. But I did it. Then I hit a point where I didn't lose anymore so I said I'll do it when I wean the baby. (Still tried here and there but nothing would budge )
So now I am back at it! My son is 14 months and I have lost 7 lbs; been training for 7 weeks.. But now my weight loss has slowed down again.. Or almost stopped. I upped my cals by 100 and even had a day where I cheated a bit. I gained about 2 ounces after a week of busting my booty..
I do P90x, 6 days a week eat 1600 cals try to eat 1/4 to half of my exercise cals back.. What am I doing wrong? I need help. I haven't lost weight in 3 weeks.. But I'm continuing with the exercise plan. I am just frustrated and need help. My son eats 3 meals a day and snacks. Also nurses about 6 times a day.. Not long though. I'm almost thinking about going to advocare.. Seems like they never have a problem losing while nursing. But it's expensive..

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Nursing burns calories but it also increases cravings (insanely). Increasing calories will never ever ever ever ever lead to weight loss. Its the first rule of thermodynamics. Energy cannot be created or destroyed only stored or transferred. If you eat more you store more, if you eat less your body uses the storage you have.

1. Are you weighing everything you put in your mouth?
    2. Weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym. Don't do the exercise to lose the weight. Exercise to feel better and be healthier. Where are you getting your calorie count from for the exercise?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining weight, you've found your maintenance calories for that weight.

If you want to lose more weight, you could:
    eat less (the best & simplest & most effective course)
    move more
    or a combination

If you're already at a healthy weight, losing will be difficult.
    If you're close to a healthy weight, losing will be slow.
    Re-evaluate your goal.
    Stop eating exercise calories. Most people underestimate what they eat, most machines
    (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    Nursing doesn't burn all that much, and the kid will be eating completely on his own soon,
    so maybe it's a good time to get your own eating on track.

Read these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    my weight loss has slowed down again.. Or almost stopped. I upped my cals by 100 and even
    had a day where I cheated a bit. I gained about 2 ounces after a week of busting my booty.
    If you're not losing weight, why would you increase calories?? :confused:
    To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in.
  • SkiMummy
    SkiMummy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The other thing to consider is that maybe you are just loosing more slowly or have reached a plateau?
    I usually find that after loosing a bit for the first month or so, things really slow down and then I need to check measurements to stay on track. It isn't always just about the number on the scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    my weight loss has slowed down again.. Or almost stopped. I upped my cals by 100 and even
    had a day where I cheated a bit. I gained about 2 ounces after a week of busting my booty.
    If you're not losing weight, why would you increase calories?? :confused:
    To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in.

This

Also breastfeeding a toddler who has a full diet is different in calorie requirements from exclusive breastfeeding

Focus on your food logging ...tighten it up

Focus on your exercise logging ...don't take the overinflated burns from MFP or machines ..take 50%

Accept fluctuations in water weight as natural ...only judge loss over periods of 6-8 weeks
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You're probably overestimating your calories burned by a lot.
  • KristenDTucker
    KristenDTucker Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am using a polar watch with heart rate monitor. It has a waist strap so I assume it's more accurate than MFP estimate of Cals burned.
    I get my Cals to eat from a website, so I do 1200 just for me then I added 300 for breast feeding since he eats quiet a bit. I added 200 but bumped up to three because I was told my body can go into starvation mode and hold onto weight when it does. So when I increased I lost 1.5 lbs that week.. Then it stopped again.
    I do sit a lot being that I nurse, I am a SAHM with three kids so I move a lot as well, plus I clean A LOT.
    I was did add 25 minutes of jogging previously, and I'm not sure if it helped but it felt good.
    I do weigh food, have a pretty good diet.
    No fried food, no chips
    Lots of veggies and fruit, only allow myself 1 whole grain tortilla for a wrap or a sandwich for lunch.
    I will lower my Cals again, most of the time I was having a hard time eating 1600 and was roughly stuck at 1400 and 1500.
    I weigh my food with a scale, and I mean everything! And I measure anything else if need be.
  • KristenDTucker
    Options
    Can I just Thank everyone for responding so fast!
    It's so nice to have support! Thank you guys so much!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am using a polar watch with heart rate monitor. It has a waist strap so I assume it's more accurate than MFP estimate of Cals burned.
    I get my Cals to eat from a website, so I do 1200 just for me then I added 300 for breast feeding since he eats quiet a bit. I added 200 but bumped up to three because I was told my body can go into starvation mode and hold onto weight when it does. So when I increased I lost 1.5 lbs that week.. Then it stopped again.
    I do sit a lot being that I nurse, I am a SAHM with three kids so I move a lot as well, plus I clean A LOT.
    I was did add 25 minutes of jogging previously, and I'm not sure if it helped but it felt good.
    I do weigh food, have a pretty good diet.
    No fried food, no chips
    Lots of veggies and fruit, only allow myself 1 whole grain tortilla for a wrap or a sandwich for lunch.
    I will lower my Cals again, most of the time I was having a hard time eating 1600 and was roughly stuck at 1400 and 1500.
    I weigh my food with a scale, and I mean everything! And I measure anything else if need be.

I assume you mean chest strap :) ...great device for steady state cardio like jogging, cycling ...not for anything else though

Personally I think 300 would be too much ...but up to you

No such thing as starvation mode as it's used in dieting folklore so you can ignore that

Weight loss isn't linear...seriously average it over 6-8 weeks

No bad food, if you want chips fit them into your calorie defecit ...just hit your macros and get a good nutrient spread too

What calories did MFP give you? Set your activity at lightly active or sedentary, goal loss at 1lb a week. Eat those, plus some for BF, plus HRM for steady-state cardio

Monitor over 6-8 weeks

Good luck
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am a work from home mom of 6 boys and I still list myself a sedentary. We don't burn even close to what we think we do fetching toys.
    Most of our work is mentally exhausting - how many times have I told you, stop hitting you brother - No! that the potty is for pee and poo not books -stop hitting your brother - where is your diaper... no no no not on the carpet - the cat doesn't like mommy's lipstick - how did you even get up there - stop hitting your brother - mommy loves the pretty heart you drew her but what has she told you about crayons and the wall - all hands on deck we have a lost blankie - no we cannot give the baby back - stop hitting your brother - leggos do not go on the floor on mommy's side of the bed - how did you get pudding in your hair - wear did you put mommy's phone - stop hitting your brother - fish do not eat people food - the garbage stays in the garbage - who pee'd all over the toilet seat - stop telling your brother he smells like a racoon - no mommy doesn't know what the hardest monster in Minecraft is - stop hitting your brother - yes you absolutely must take a nap (so that mommy can take a nap).

Its tiring just to think about but it doesn't burn much sadly. The little one is probably nursing more for comfort than for intake at this point so the caloric need has probably dropped. I wouldn't track it anymore and see if that makes a difference.
  • KristenDTucker
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
    Is there a device that you reccomend? I notice sometimes when I am doing certain exercises the watch will just stop, drives me insane!
    I try to eliminate things because I would go on an all out binge if I had a small taste of something I liked. So a lack of self control.
    I'm really working on muscle, I had a skinny fat body before my kids, but my legs and butt were toned. I downed my Cals to 1200, and added 200 for nursing.
    Yeah I hear my son nurses for comfort or sleep. I think he nurses a lot but my boobs have went back to previous size so I can't be making much? I am at lightly active.. But it's true I don't get much exercise other than than p90x and cleaning or just little random things. I can't sit still but I'm not a couch potato! Lol
  • KristenDTucker
    Options
    I'm def going to try what u ladies suggested and go from there! Thanks gals I'll check in , about 7 days!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I added 300 for breast feeding since he eats quiet a bit. I added 200 but bumped up to three because I was told my body can go into starvation mode and hold onto weight when it does.
    Yeah I hear my son nurses for comfort or sleep. I think he nurses a lot but my boobs have went back to previous size so I can't be making much?

I think the solution may found be around here somewhere... Your son is a "big" boy now and maybe you aren't producing as much milk as you think you are?

And - starvation mode is definately not what you think it means ;)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I lost last year while nursing my toddler about 6 times a day, I was eating 200 extra calories for breastfeeding I think. But I think it's different for each woman's body.

Maybe you answered this (didn't see it) but how long has it been since your weight loss slowed down? It says you lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks which sounds pretty great to me. It's not unusual to have weeks where you don't lose much or anything. I've lost 50 lbs in the past 5 months (while nursing my baby!) and I have weeks where I lose 3 lbs and weeks where I don't lose anything. I feel confident with what I'm doing so I keep doing it, knowing that my weight loss will pick up again at some point. ETA oh I just saw it, 3 weeks of maintaining your weight. I think 6 weeks is "officially" a stall right?
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice to give because I failed immensely trying to lose weight whilst breastfeeding, gave up put on tons of weight and only managed to do something about it once my baby had stopped being breastfed.

I just wanted say that I wouldn't be able to praise you enough. Your achievment is admirable!!
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    I am a work from home mom of 6 boys and I still list myself a sedentary. We don't burn even close to what we think we do fetching toys.
    Most of our work is mentally exhausting - how many times have I told you, stop hitting you brother - No! that the potty is for pee and poo not books -stop hitting your brother - where is your diaper... no no no not on the carpet - the cat doesn't like mommy's lipstick - how did you even get up there - stop hitting your brother - mommy loves the pretty heart you drew her but what has she told you about crayons and the wall - all hands on deck we have a lost blankie - no we cannot give the baby back - stop hitting your brother - leggos do not go on the floor on mommy's side of the bed - how did you get pudding in your hair - wear did you put mommy's phone - stop hitting your brother - fish do not eat people food - the garbage stays in the garbage - who pee'd all over the toilet seat - stop telling your brother he smells like a racoon - no mommy doesn't know what the hardest monster in Minecraft is - stop hitting your brother - yes you absolutely must take a nap (so that mommy can take a nap).

Its tiring just to think about but it doesn't burn much sadly. The little one is probably nursing more for comfort than for intake at this point so the caloric need has probably dropped. I wouldn't track it anymore and see if that makes a difference.

I can relate to you in this 100% although i have 2 boys and 1 girl. Bless your heart!!! Being a mom is a blessing however its a lot of hard work physically, mentally and emotionally. I just loved how you put these words together, you had me laughing so hard...(no offense).
  • KristenDTucker
    Options
    Yeah was in a stall with not losing anything for 3 weeks. I downed my Cals to 1400, so about 200 for nursing.
    I eat some of my Cals back from working out. Just started so this is day 3 . So far I can say that my diet has tightened up quiet a bit! Feels like I'm eating 1200 Cals ahaha I def think that was the prob. But now I'm almost scared to weigh in. I upped my work out with heavier weights. I think I was getting used to my bands. Any who thanks ladies! I'll check in a few weeks, pretty nervous to weigh in but either way I know I should keep going.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The whole breastfeeding burns calories thing isn't all it's cracked up to be. I also nursed a toddler (until way past 14 months). Losing weight during that time was arduous and sometimes nearly impossible. Once my son was weaned the weight started falling off. I basically started back on MFP the week after I weaned him and have lost 2lbs a week since then. Just hang in there and know that you're doing the best you can for your child and this is only temporary. Eat well and healthy while you're nursing and don't beat yourself up too much while you're waiting for weaning time. The truth is that nursing doesn't make every woman lose weight... for some it makes them gain or at least stagnate.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of women who struggle to lose weight while breastfeeding. I know I'm one of them.

Washing fewer bottles was more important to me than fitting into jeans so...
  • KristenDTucker
    Options
    Thanks ladies! My son just turned 14 months, I'm ready to wean him. Not because of weightloss, but because I'm ready to stop.hes eating mearly for comfort which is fine, but he is starting to throw tantrums when he wants to eat. I feel like it's time. Anyone have any advice on weaning ? My toddler refuses milk !