I hate how clothing sizes vary. HATE.

Options
I ordered a pair of boardshorts in a size 14 (and I am fitting into a lot of 12s right now), and I cannot even pull them up past my thighs/hips. It feels like crap when you cannot even fit into a size that you thought you were getting out of.

I know it is the clothes, not me, but it is HARD not to internalize that.

In any case, the stupid boardshorts are going back.

Replies

• cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree! I am wearing various sizes right now because no one makes the same "size" and clothes are made so differently.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I never know what to say when someone asks me what size I am. It's never the same in anything I buy.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not about size, it's about fit. I don't buy anything I haven't tried on first, it saves me from moments like this!
  • criscruz
    criscruz Posts: 2
    Options
    same! but i LOVE it when i can fit into a smaller size, even if it's just because the sizes run weird haha!
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ugh I HATE this too! I haven't even changed a size since losing 36 lbs - I'm just fitting into DIFFERENT brands of 18's. Its so annoying!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I joke all the time that my closet is like Oprah's. If you look at it, it looks like there are multiple women living here.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit this but that is why I am now a one brand type of girl. all my jeans are from the same maker. all my shorts are from another but they have the same maker. in my closet i have from size 4 up to size 12 (which are a little big but i can still wear) depending on brand, fabric qualities and cuts. while it is annoying that's how i do it and i can still order my jeans on sale and such.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    It's not about size, it's about fit. I don't buy anything I haven't tried on first, it saves me from moments like this!
    I usually don't either, but I was having a really hard time finding a pair of black boardshorts that weren't all upmyass or past my knees. I just wanted regular length ones, which is apparently crazy talk ;) I found these online and they LOOKED perfect. Bad call!
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Here's the problem.....I'm a Canadian living in Europe. Sizes are different from country to country. A size 10 in the US is closer to a UK size 12-14. If you are in main land Europe the sizes are different here too...and when you get to Italy..forget it...most clothes are extra small. So you may have a size 14 from another country... I feel your pain...I have the same problem.:flowerforyou:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I dont order online unless its a brand Ive already bought in person because of this EXACT reason! I have a butt, a musccular round one at that (semi-irritating) so Its not going anywhere which makes me HAVE to buy stretch jeans 90% of the time, otherwise I end up too loose in the waist, or a saggy butt, or cant get them past it!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was organizing my closet today and realized the same thing... I have a varied size of clothing. When I go to the thrift stores I always look through the sizes I think I am no longer in because I can usually find something cool that fits.

It is frustrating but I am more about how it looks and feels then what size it is.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Super hate this. Why don't we go by waist measurements? I wear a 4 but in some brands I can't even fit in a 0 (too big) b/c the manufacturers are so off on their sizes. Most of the clothes that are sized by waist measurement are out of my price range so I end up having to try on, take off, etc etc. I LOVE to shop online but find myself only buying tops b/c bottoms are just so out of whack.

It is hard to deal with at any size b/c I've always had to deal with it when I was a 14 and even now. I wish I could sew!!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Oh geez that would suck! And make me mad! I know what you mean though. I was fit a size 16 dress at one store...and then went to another and I was in a size 22!! So depressing.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Oh geez that would suck! And make me mad! I know what you mean though. I was fit a size 16 dress at one store...and then went to another and I was in a size 22!! So depressing.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do any of you sew or have you been in a wedding lately?

Stores are big on vanity sizing right now. In certain stores I'm a 6, other stores I'm an 8, if I sew for myself I typically use at least a size 12 pattern (sometimes 14 depending on the cut) The last wedding I was in my gown was an 8 and I was completely wearing 6's and tiny. I tend to keep dresses I love, and I have some old ones that are size 8 and 10 that are the same exact size as the size 6 ones in my closet. These companies need to get a clue and get standardized.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ugh I HATE this too! I haven't even changed a size since losing 36 lbs - I'm just fitting into DIFFERENT brands of 18's. Its so annoying!

OH how I feel your pain!!! It is SOO freakin frustrating!! I'm at the 32 pound mark, and I'm in the same boat.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Super hate this. Why don't we go by waist measurements? I wear a 4 but in some brands I can't even fit in a 0 (too big) b/c the manufacturers are so off on their sizes. Most of the clothes that are sized by waist measurement are out of my price range so I end up having to try on, take off, etc etc. I LOVE to shop online but find myself only buying tops b/c bottoms are just so out of whack.

It is hard to deal with at any size b/c I've always had to deal with it when I was a 14 and even now. I wish I could sew!!!

Agreed, Mens pants go by waist-inch-measurements and inseam length, female clothing designers need to take a page out of that book. I mean given its a little intimidating when you pick up a 22/26/30 inch pair of jeans if youre used to buy by a particular size now, but it would make shopping a heck of alot easier
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean..I can wear some girls sizes, boys sizes and some womans sizes. But that bad thing for me is I freak when I think a size is to big..then I dont want to eat. What the hell is the difference between a 00 and a 0 anyway. I hate buying close. But even mens pants that go buy waist size depending on the cut fit different. I think that is why I like boys pants better than girls, but they arent always long enough. Well what ever size you are in keep up the good work!
    My other beef is why is it so hard to find XXS scrubs I cant be the only one out there who needs them..grr!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    yep definitely agree that wedding dress sizes are different than regular store sizes. i had to order a size 24 wedding dress...i have never worn a size 24 anything at the store, or even a size 22 anything. I wear size 20..so that is a crazy difference!
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    They just had a radio discussion about this. Apparently I size 12 in 1950 was 4 inches smaller than a size 12 last year. Some companies do this more than others they called it vanity sizing.