Shift Work adds to the challenge of a healthy routine. Anyone else out there in my shoes?

Options
Hello! I work 12 hour shifts, so keeping a healthy routine is tough. Now, throw this in the mix: I work one week (4 days) 6p-6a. Then I get four days off. When I return I work 6a-6p, then another four off. This repeats itself back and forth, and that's my permanent work schedule. As a result I have a hard time with the constant adjustment of my sleeping pattern which I know contributes to my weight gain. On a typical day I get about four or five hours of sleep. I've been doing this same job since 1994. Is there anyone else out there with similar challenges? The past few weeks have been smooth. Lately, I'm staying on target with prepping my meals and not eating junk; that is always a challenge on night shift. I am sure this journey for me would be smoother with support and motivation. If you are facing struggles similar to mine please add me. If you are not, please add me anyway. I could use all of the motivation and support.

Replies

• heyeyeya
    heyeyeya Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I personally find the key is to take your own healthy snacks in. When I do the night shift in particular I always find that others will bring in plenty of junk, so you need to have an alternative on hand to help you say no!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do everything possible to fine a way to sleep the same times each day ---whether you are working or not. Your sleep will get improve, you food intake will lessen, and you will feel better. <3
    (I am not doing shift work but I have an understanding of where you are coming from.)
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    While not quite as extreme as your schedule, I work Mon-Thur 7:00-5:30. It can be really tough, because during the week if I didn't prepare, I simply don't have time for it. What helped me immensely is doing Sunday meal prep.

You don't have to cook on Sunday, but whatever your day off, before your week starts again. Also keeping plenty of healthy snacks around, and fresh fruits and vegetables in the home.

Your best line of defense is going to be to PLAN PLAN PLAN. Plan your breakfast, lunch, snacks. Put something in the crockpot for dinner when you get home. Pre-portion and pack the night or week before. You're going to make poor choices if you don't plan and you're tired.

Also, you really should try to find a way to get enough sleep, you're going to feel more hungry when you're tired.
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Do everything possible to fine a way to sleep the same times each day ---whether you are working or not. Your sleep will get improve, you food intake will lessen, and you will feel better. <3
    (I am not doing shift work but I have an understanding of where you are coming from.)

That won't work for OP, she alternates working morning to evening, to overnights.

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't bring much food into work with me. I tend to snack at night so I just don't bring the snacks in. I have been working night for almost 9 years now. It is hard I agree with you. However that just means you have to work harder. No excuses, just do what you know you need to be doing.
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband has a swing shift similar to this with a rotating morning to night schedule and the only way I can keep him on track is to make sure his lunches and dinners (during night shifts) are planned out. I see you have a little one does this help contribute to the lack of sleep. I have two and I know it's almost impossible to sleep even if someone else is home to help watch them. Like the above posters stated PLANNING will be your salvation on this weight loss journey. Best of luck.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Taylor676 wrote: »
    Hello! I work 12 hour shifts, so keeping a healthy routine is tough. Now, throw this in the mix: I work one week (4 days) 6p-6a. Then I get four days off. When I return I work 6a-6p, then another four off. This repeats itself back and forth, and that's my permanent work schedule. As a result I have a hard time with the constant adjustment of my sleeping pattern which I know contributes to my weight gain. On a typical day I get about four or five hours of sleep. I've been doing this same job since 1994. Is there anyone else out there with similar challenges? The past few weeks have been smooth. Lately, I'm staying on target with prepping my meals and not eating junk; that is always a challenge on night shift. I am sure this journey for me would be smoother with support and motivation. If you are facing struggles similar to mine please add me. If you are not, please add me anyway. I could use all of the motivation and support.

sounds like my schedule, almost exactly. night shifts do suck, but sometimes you just need a little sugar and carbs to help you get through them.

meal prepping and having healthy snacks on hand helps with the cravings. but man, sometimes i just know that i'm going to have those chocolate glazed donuts at 3am.

oh, and you absolutely need to be getting more that 4-5 hours of sleep. i know, easier said than done, especially when you are on nights. but you need to try and get at least 6.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I work third shift, so while it's a little different than your schedule, (most days), I understand the lack of sleep thing. The good thing with me is I only need four or five hours of sleep to get by. So I would usually tell people they will get used to it, but after 20 years, i'm going to guess you won't get used to it.

Either way. Exercise after or before work, whichever is better for you. I find after work works for me most days, but that's just me. Like everyone else says, planning is an important part of anything. If you work 4 on, 4 off, than you in reality have plenty of time to plan for the days that you do work. Healthy snacks are a big thing.

Good luck.
  • mjenkins74mj
    mjenkins74mj Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work swing shift and find it difficult to keep from snacking.
    For some reason on night shift I want to eat everything that's bad for you...lol
  • GTaylor615
    GTaylor615 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exactly! The bad stuff is what i crave on nights. So far I'm remaining strong to the temptations
  • GTaylor615
    Options
    My husband has a swing shift similar to this with a rotating morning to night schedule and the only way I can keep him on track is to make sure his lunches and dinners (during night shifts) are planned out. I see you have a little one does this help contribute to the lack of sleep. I have two and I know it's almost impossible to sleep even if someone else is home to help watch them. Like the above posters stated PLANNING will be your salvation on this weight loss journey. Best of luck.

Thank you! Yes, its so hard to sleep and still make time for loved ones during the day.
  • carlstokes8
    carlstokes8 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a Security Guard. I have had to work all kind of shifts finally landed a day shift 6 am-2 pm. Monday through Friday which is golden in Security and hard to get. If I were to lose this shift in the future. I will try to workout on my breaks. I am starting to do that now going up and down on stairs and I would try to prepare my meals for the whole week. I hope that will work for me I know how hard it is when they screw your time 12 hour shifts are horrible and I worked them they was always on the weekend and it killed my social life..Hang in there I know this would be a great challenge for me too. I hope you do find something that works...
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My job has hours that change through out the year. Ive had issues with going into Afib when my hours or longer or when Im working nights. My doctor told me shift work brings an array of health challenges.
  • TopCop7747
    TopCop7747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Shift work is very difficult for a number of reasons.
  • GTaylor615
    Options
    I am a Security Guard. I have had to work all kind of shifts finally landed a day shift 6 am-2 pm. Monday through Friday which is golden in Security and hard to get. If I were to lose this shift in the future. I will try to workout on my breaks. I am starting to do that now going up and down on stairs and I would try to prepare my meals for the whole week. I hope that will work for me I know how hard it is when they screw your time 12 hour shifts are horrible and I worked them they was always on the weekend and it killed my social life..Hang in there I know this would be a great challenge for me too. I hope you do find something that works...

Indeed! Ive been getting 30 minutes of cardio while on duty about every 4-5 hours. I walk or climb stairs as often as i can get some down time and i find a spot
  • GTaylor615
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to new friends and common goals to keep me grounded.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Taylor676 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to new friends and common goals to keep me grounded.
    Good Luck. Im a routine person. Hopefully you find a routine that works for you.