What's your chocolate substitute?

Options

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for good chocolate!

I eat a couple of pieces of Lindt's 90% dark chocolate a few nights a week... it's enough to satisfy my chocolate addiction. :D
  • get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    There is no substitute for good chocolate!

I eat a couple of pieces of Lindt's 90% dark chocolate a few nights a week... it's enough to satisfy my chocolate addiction. :D

This. I also wait until after I work out to eat it.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just eat the chocolate. Have always loved dark chocolate though and a couple of squares of 70-80% and I'm happy :) also enjoy various chocolate protein bars
  • get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also, a 250ml carton of chocolate milk after I workout hits the spot nicely too!
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have chocolate smooth protein shakes which taste amazing and are no sugar/high protein.

Also, I just discovered a chocolate chip granola which I have as breakfast, so i can make it fit into my daily calories and I get some delicious 70% chocolate chips to boot!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have a square or two of high quality dark chocolate a few times a week. Most nights I have a herbal tea which is 'chilli and chocolate' flavoured (it's a blend of chilli, licorice, cocoa & other spices) - it hits the spot and has essentially no calories.

I also have a dark chocolate protein shake which I love.

Chocolate is hard to replace. If you're having trouble with portion control, going cold turkey and then starting on very dark chocolate might help. It's hard to eat too much of it.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have mini pieces of chocolate. Mini reeces cups are excellent!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Very good quality, high cocoa % dark chocolate. I can knock off half a block of milk chocolate without blinking, but 10-20 grams of really good dark stuff and I'm happy.

^^^This!

And when I want chocolate ice cream without the cals.... one frozen banana in pieces, 5-10g of dark cacoa powder, a dash of almond milk (or other liquid) in a blender. It's really lush, chocolaty and filling. Also good with PB2 or PB2 chocolate, if you like the peanut butter taste, but not the cals.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have preferred dark (not sweet) chocolate for years, so if I feel like some chocolate, I have chocolate. If I want sweets, that is a whole different issue. I love baking, so I sometimes keep homemade cookies or squares or whatever in the freezer, so I can grab one (or one piece) when I want something sweet. I build my recipes in MFP so I know the calorie count for the entire batch, and can easily divide it up into serving sizes before freezing.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Follow IIFYM and just eat chcoclate
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow......oh how I love you! I'm almost always able to fit in a small bag of Reeses Pieces into my macros.
  • radicalfae
    radicalfae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could dip a wet popsicle stick into a packet of lower calorie cocoa. Takes forever to eat that way thus makes it easier to satisfy a chocolate craving with less as it takes a while for the brain to register it's had enough sweets. But you get the sweet chocolate taste.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Usually I just eat chocolate when I want it, but if you want to stay away from it, try ground cacao in a smoothie for a treat. It's high in fiber, and a similar flavor. Also brown.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Alpro soya chocolate dessert. If I engender right 125 calories. Fills a spot :-)
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Mix in with trail mix.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I found if I have a fiber brownie in the morning, I do much better the whole day with those sweet cravings. But if I want it, I make sure I have enough calories to eat it
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Have one or two Hershey's kisses, a piece of Dove chocolate or another small piece of chocolate. One Hershey's kiss is 22 calories. A piece of Dove dark chocolate is 42 calories. Usually one or two pieces will satisfy my craving for something sweet and/or chocolate after a meal.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You could get those swiss miss chocolate packets and mix it with hot milk...that way you can get a taste of chocolate and the protein in the milk will keep you satisfied. If chocolate is a "binge" food, then stick with popsicles or maybe some sweetened cereal, anything other than chocolate that will satisfy sweet tooth. I had to do it with ice cream for a while and now I can portion control even with ice cream.
  • jennifermi
    jennifermi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread about beating sugar cravings.

I used to be able to eat 2 full size chocolate bars at one sitting.

Now, half a bar once a week is satisfying and maybe tastes a bit too sweet. I was able to step down the chocolate this way:

1) Switch from candy bars to individually wrapped very high quality chocolate. (The better the chocolate, the less you need to satisfy.)

2) Put it in the freezer. Whenever you want chocolate, take out 1 to thaw. (The time between craving and eating helps calm the craving). Only take out 1 at a time.

3) Step down to smaller chocolate content. I used chocolate almonds, and took only 1 serving at a time.

4) Step down to not having chocolate in the house. If you have a craving, you have to make a trip to the store.

5) Once you have control, you can safely put chocolate back in the house, to enjoy in moderation.

That is what I have decided to do. Nice to know it worked for someone else :)
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just have chocolate. I had an affair with dark chocolate few years ago but right now I go for milk kind most of the time and don't see a big problem with it. I buy chocolate in thin bars (Lindt, Villars, Ameri etc), so a 10 gram square allows for plenty of bites and is only 50-60 calories, so it's easy to fit into my calorie budget.

There's something I noticed lately though. It's quite common for me to make myself a plate of bite-size cut fruits, berries, carrots, grapes and occasionally nuts or candy to accompany my evening tea in front of a computer. I just make enough to use up my remaining calories for the day. Sometimes I throw a square of chocolate in there too. And it never ends to be my favourite thing on a plate. Put side to side with other things, it feels too sweet and lacking freshness. I almost regret putting it there instead of 1 more apple.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!