Kicking butt after a lower back injury - almost at goal!

Options
Timorous_Beastie
Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
edited July 2015 in Success Stories
I always say how much I hate the scale, and I still do, but... I'm within a half pound of my goal weight! There's still some excess bodyfluff (I prefer that term over bodyfat) I'd like to see gone, but a slow recomp will do the job without feeling like torture or sacrifice. I'm not cut out for a martyr lifestyle. Or any lifestyle that involves giving up pizza and bagels.

The bigger victory in all this, is that it'll be one year this weekend since I f'ed up my back, right after I'd gotten over a round of depression and some minor injuries and started getting into the groove of eating right and exercising again. It was something with my SI joint, and recovery was a long, slow process with several months of physical therapy, several more months of narcotic painkillers, and a steroid injection that had reversed the small weight loss I'd managed over the summer. Grrrr...

It's been since January that I really cracked down. I'd taken progress pictures exactly one year ago today, so I took more this morning. I didn't realize my thighs had shrunk that much!

A little over a year ago, I thought my running days were behind me. And weights were completely out of the question. I ran 10.5 miles the other day, the longest I've ever run. My lifts aren't quite what they were several years ago, but I'm benching 80 lbs, overhead press 55 and squatting 100. Nothing amazing, but nothing to sneeze at either.

5kefm5jzi55h.jpg

mwj5w9vzoi6j.jpg

^^ That puddle? That was my sweat after running at 80% humidity! ;)

Replies

• rnsharon56
    rnsharon56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What a great success story! You look fantastic!
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!!!! Rocking that bikini!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    YES! Love having you back, and always motivated by your posts and seeing your progress, and of course, your awesome, realistic attitude! Rock on! B)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you! For a while now, looking my progress photos from a few years ago would bum me out. It bugged me that depression and injury took so much out of me. I mean... both suck enough on their own, without bringing an extra 20 pounds of fat to the party!

But now that I'm close to my goal, those photos are like looking into a crystal ball. It was just about two years ago that I bought my weight bench after quitting the gym (and weight machines). And my body isn't far off from what it was in July, 2012. Free weights and eating near maintenance did incredible things to my body composition in just two months, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next two months are going to bring to me.

9i89wv45uanz.jpg
  • ynafitness
    ynafitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking great :) an inspiring story to follow
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!