Jaws Replaced; Need Help With Soft Diet

Options
Hi! I had an RNY gastric bypass back in November 2013, and I'd lost about 85 pounds altogether when a severe case of TMJ forced me into a soft diet. Six weeks ago I had my impaired jaw joints removed and replaced with titanium ones, and while they were at it the surgeons pulled what remaining teeth I had (about 14, I guess) plus two implants I'd had for about 20 years. Obviously, I've had nothing but liquids, baby food meats, and soft foods for about five months now, and I've gained back 5-7 pounds. Cheerios is about the hardest thing I can eat, and that's at least partially because they dissolve so quickly in my mouth. I need some ideas for things that can be eaten with no teeth and recovering jaw joints. I get protein in my morning coffee with Unjury and I'm pretty good about eating Greek yogurt, but two rounds of steroid dosepaks and a shot of Kenalog later for ear/sinus infections have me constantly hungry and the results aren't good. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Do you have a decent blender? Sounds like you'll be having a lot of soups and smoothies.

Use MFP to set your calorie and macro goals. Weigh and log accurately to try and meet these goals.

For smoothies you could use milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and protein powders for protein. Add avocados and nut butters to get some healthy fats, which will also help with satiety. Add fruit and veggies for vitamins, minerals and fibre.

Peas and beans will blend well into soups, and will add protein and fibre (which should alse make them filling). Squashes and pumpkin make a great base for soup, and are low calorie for a large volume.
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear about your mouth ,I'm no dietician but soft foods that I like are fruit/vege smoothies with milk & protien powder, soups with beans/lentils, casserole/stewed meat & veges( blitzed/blended to a good consistency for you) . Ground beef meals like spaghetti bolognaisse with grated veges in the sauce or Mexican flavoured ground meats & veges on rice , all blended/ blitzed to a good consistency. Good luck with your health and I hope you can eat well :)
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Would you consider seeing a dietitian? Considering you've had surgery that changes the way your body absorbs nutrients it might be worth getting professional advice. I hope you start feeling a bit better, sounds rough.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get a good quality blender (or even just a good enough one). When I had to go through some dental stuff, I made regular chicken and rice and then put it in the blender with water or boxed soup broth. One could even do that with pizza (water and blender).
    Other ideas: meat loaf, mac and cheese, applesauce, scrambled eggs, protein powder added to anything including soft baked goods like pancakes, pudding, and custard.
    I used to make a huge tray of high protein / low sugar bread pudding (milk, eggs, bread, vanilla, cinnamon). Some I would freeze. The rest I would eat for a few days. Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My favourite was a black bean and red pepper soup by Campbell's and available in Canada. I put a dollop of Greek yogurt on top in lieu of sour cream.

The Ninja blender, hubby says, is the best. He makes a smoothie with banana, frozen fruit, milk and whey powder.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Peanut butter makes it all better. lol

Not sure really what kinds of food you're looking for other than soft, but if you happen to need a cookie fix, what about oreos dunked in milk? Those things pretty much dissolve.

Other foods... hmm... Oatmeal would probably be good. There's some overnight recipes you could look up for things like Steel Cut oatmeal that has apple bits and whatnot.

Keep up with the Greek Yogurt because that stuff does wonders. Also, if maybe you're looking to up your protein, Shamrock has "Rockin' Refuel" Protein Drinks in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. 190 calories with 30g of protein. The chocolate actually tastes decent. I get them at Shoprite, 4 for $5.

Otherwise, as others stated, get a good blender and make some good smoothies. With peanut butter, of course. lol