Why I am not losing weight?

Options
Okay, I'm a 235lb, 5'11, 45 yo man. I've been disciplined for months and not losing weight. I have a 1700 diet (though I am often lower), and though I sometimes go a bit over I never binge over. I exercise 3-4 times a week, and for the last month I've amped that up--including kettle bell training.
To maintain these lower calories, I've been supplementing with Slim Fast. I drink enough water. I've cut back my carbs a lot. I get enough sleep. I am #2ing normally (sorry).
But I am not getting anywhere.
Well, that's not true: I feel much better (though sore from working out). My pants are a bit looser.
What am I doing wrong? The only things I can think of are: I do eat quite a bit more in the evening, but we eat mostly healthy food. And I don't go THAT crazy. I usually take in 500-600 calories during the day and 1000 to 1200 at night. Also, I do drink, as in alcohol. I am cutting back on that--4 ounces of red wine a night.
For the record, I am doing all this because we're having our first baby, and I want to be physically ready. I am not going to stop, though I am feeling discouraged.
Again, I've been at this for months.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
btw, for years previous (except for going up to 250 after a car accident last November) I average 235 lbs, but over the years, when I did try to lose weight, I could get down to 215 pretty easily. I am working far harder now.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake? Do you use a food scale to weigh everything that you eat, or do you eyeball or use measuring cups/spoons/etc?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • Are you weighing your foods with an electric scale?
    • Are you weighing your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

OP open your diary too please.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight it simply comes down to not being in a calorie deficit. Either you are eating more than you think or if you eat back exercise calories you are not burning as much as you think, which in turn still leads to eating more than you think.

You must be as accurate as possible when tracking calories. Meaning you need to weigh everything you put in your body to make sure you know how many calories you are consuming. Hope that helps.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Here you go, OP:

lzvxzz84mykh.jpg
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I first started doing strength training to supplement my dietary changes I stopped seeing the number on the scale go down (at least as rapidly as it was) but continued to go down notches on my belt, from what I understand that's typical and not indicative of a problem as long as you're losing fat. If you aren't losing fat then consult the flow chart that someone is probably about to post if it isn't here already.

Edit: there it is, one post up.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    labazro wrote: »
    I have a 1700 diet (though I am often lower), and though I sometimes go a bit over I never binge over.

Open your diary.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    • Are you weighing your foods with an electric scale?
    • Are you weighing your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

OP open your diary too please.

^^this.
    Here you go, OP:

lzvxzz84mykh.jpg

and also this^^
  • labazro
    labazro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such a quick response! I do not use a digital food scale. Frankly, I use fitness pal as a guide, though I try to be conservative. I will go look for a food scale today? Where can I find one?

Usually, I have a cup of coffee every morning and a slim fast. Around mid day I have another slim fast or a Zone bar. Nonfat latte or another coffee in the afternoon. Sometimes I also have nuts or some other snack like fruit or miso soup. Again, This ends up amounting to 500 to 600 calories.

At night, we usually make meals, and I do my best to estimate the calories. I try to not cheat or undervalue, particularly as many days (like yesterday) I ended up at 1500 calories when my goal is 1750.

As for my exercise calories, I do deduct them, but I cut them in half. If I use the elliptical for 40 min (as I just did and worked real hard), usually calorie calculator will say 700 calories or something. I usually reduce it to 300 or 350. Does that seem reasonable?

Let me look into opening my diet.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such a quick response! I do not use a digital food scale. Frankly, I use fitness pal as a guide, though I try to be conservative. I will go look for a food scale today? Where can I find one?

Usually, I have a cup of coffee every morning and a slim fast. Around mid day I have another slim fast or a Zone bar. Nonfat latte or another coffee in the afternoon. Sometimes I also have nuts or some other snack like fruit or miso soup. Again, This ends up amounting to 500 to 600 calories.

At night, we usually make meals, and I do my best to estimate the calories. I try to not cheat or undervalue, particularly as many days (like yesterday) I ended up at 1500 calories when my goal is 1750.

As for my exercise calories, I do deduct them, but I cut them in half. If I use the elliptical for 40 min (as I just did and worked real hard), usually calorie calculator will say 700 calories or something. I usually reduce it to 300 or 350. Does that seem reasonable?

Personal opinion- ditch the slim fast. It's unneeded for weight loss.

Invest in a food scale and weigh everything you are eating. You are probably eating more than you think.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Also look up Secret Eaters. Watch it and then question how honest you are being with yourself.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Scales are plentiful. Your local Walmart or Target will have them (I'd advise against Walmart's Mainstays brand scales though because the design is poor). Anywhere kitchen supplies are sold will generally have them.

Don't fixate on the scale brand/price too much. A simple digital scale, flat raised scale surface, "tare/zero" button, and a easy button to change from ounces/grams is all you need. Taylor has some models in the 20-30 range that are easy to find, but the brand (aside from Mainstays which I say avoid) is not important.

Getting a scale and learning to use it for everything possible will be your first step, since it is highly likely you're eating more calories than you think you are.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm a 235lb, 5'11, 45 yo man. I've been disciplined for months and not losing weight. I have a 1700 diet (though I am often lower), and though I sometimes go a bit over I never binge over. I exercise 3-4 times a week, and for the last month I've amped that up--including kettle bell training.
    To maintain these lower calories, I've been supplementing with Slim Fast. I drink enough water. I've cut back my carbs a lot. I get enough sleep. I am #2ing normally (sorry).
    But I am not getting anywhere.
    Well, that's not true: I feel much better (though sore from working out). My pants are a bit looser.
    What am I doing wrong? The only things I can think of are: I do eat quite a bit more in the evening, but we eat mostly healthy food. And I don't go THAT crazy. I usually take in 500-600 calories during the day and 1000 to 1200 at night. Also, I do drink, as in alcohol. I am cutting back on that--4 ounces of red wine a night.
    For the record, I am doing all this because we're having our first baby, and I want to be physically ready. I am not going to stop, though I am feeling discouraged.
    Again, I've been at this for months.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    btw, for years previous (except for going up to 250 after a car accident last November) I average 235 lbs, but over the years, when I did try to lose weight, I could get down to 215 pretty easily. I am working far harder now.
    • Because you are not tracking what you eat accurately
    • You are not active enough
    • you aren't lifting weights or you're not putting in enough effort when you are (try a powerlifting program, wendlers 5x5)
    • IIFYM doesn't work for everyone even though IIFYM junkies swear by it
    • higher a coach
  • labazro
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the ideas. I will got get a digital food scale today. This seems the most likely culprit. The thing is, I've been killing myself--not eating very much a lot and working out 4 times a week (to the point I am exhausted.)
    I admit, this has all been amping up over the last few months, but I'm really doing my utmost (i'll let the scale decide). I don't sneak foods. I do not do weight lifting, but I work with kettle bells. Frankly, my body exhausted and sore after.
    I will consider getting rid of the Slim Fast. Frankly, I like it because its easy. For me, thinking about food is part of the problem. I have the Slim Fast and I walk away.

I have high hopes for the scale.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the ideas. I will got get a digital food scale today. This seems the most likely culprit. The thing is, I've been killing myself--not eating very much a lot and working out 4 times a week (to the point I am exhausted.)
    I admit, this has all been amping up over the last few months, but I'm really doing my utmost (i'll let the scale decide). I don't sneak foods. I do not do weight lifting, but I work with kettle bells. Frankly, my body exhausted and sore after.
    I will consider getting rid of the Slim Fast. Frankly, I like it because its easy. For me, thinking about food is part of the problem. I have the Slim Fast and I walk away.

I have high hopes for the scale.

Good luck. Just realize the scale is not magic, so it's only as good as how well you use it.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would highly encourage you to read through this article by Tom Venuto.

https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/5-tips-to-avoid-plateaus-and-metabolic-slowdown

He answers the question "is it possible to not lose body fat because you are eating too little?"

Gives you answers to "am I the unicorn that defies science" or "is it something else"?

Should be required reading for everyone that signs up for MFP IMO.

Good luck! You'll get there if you keep at it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Instead, just buy the store brand protein powder instead and make it with milk. You'll save money and get less sugar this way. Or, buy the nutrisure that they give elderly people who have a hard time eating. Just my 2c.

Or EVEN BETTER, buy a blender and make your own smoothies. I'm not saying this will help you lose weight, I'm saying you'll be happier and have more energy for your life and workouts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like to drink my calories, as I would rather sated with food. Start using a food scale and you'll notice a huge difference.
  • labazro
    Options
    Got the food scale today. Slim Fast sates me, and I prefer just popping the bottle--again, easier to not think too much about food.

That said, I might look into the protein with skim milk. I only have four more SF bottles, so I might just give that a try.

Thanks for the article. LOL--I know I am not a unicorn, just not sure what I am doing wrong. This thread has helped me identify a good, new direction. I think my workouts are pushing me enough right now. So it must be a calorie thing. I have some ideas to cut them down more, and I think I need to spread out my calories more during the day. And, to be honest, I drink too much bourbon (while still staying under my calories), which is not a good idea. My vice, but I am going to stop.

I'll keep checking in with this thread, but I'll give an update in two weeks. THANK YOU!!
  • BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What's your diet been like in the past. How healthy is your metabolism? Have you caused any metabolic damage?
    This is our blog on IIFYM if it's any help http://www.fitwaffle.co.uk/blog-native/what-is-iifym-flexible-dieting
    I was 237lbs, dropped calories way too low. Then got control of them using IIFYM and was dieting and losing weight with 2900 cals for a good 6 months before I had to drop the calories some more.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am a 57 year old 5'7" male, and a little over 6 months ago I weighed 225 pounds.

I got an activity tracker that could also monitor my workouts and calories. I set it to lose 1 pound per week. I log my food and exercise (biking and walking) into the app, and have been losing 1 pound a week ever since. I am down to 192 now, and my goal is 150. I have absolutely no doubt that I will make my goal within the next year.

The activity tracker takes all the guess work and math out of the equation, and makes it so easy to follow. It is definitely a game changer if you can afford one. Mine costs about $250.00 (Garmin Vivoactive), but there are others that are much less expensive. But you can't put a price on health and fitness.