Multivitamin

Options
Do any guys here take Multi Vitamins and if so, which ones? I'm looking for the best one to take but i'm unsure as to which one to get.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I take a generic store brand multi. I think they are more or less all about the same.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum. If I ever get to the point where I'm able to eat all of that as part of a healthy, balanced diet, I'll quit the vitamin.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are eating right then you don't need it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Reputable sources I have consulted and my own doctor confirm that multi-vitamins do nothing except make expensive pee. No difference in general health and no difference in life expectancy between those who take vitamins and those who don't.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Reputable sources I have consulted and my own doctor confirm that multi-vitamins do nothing except make expensive pee. No difference in general health and no difference in life expectancy between those who take vitamins and those who don't.

Is that for people with an already healthy and well rounded diet?

What about between two people who eat nothing by macorni cheese. Except one takes a multivitamin.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This

Do you have a shortness of something?

I do take them btw, so i am not against it. But i needed them ( and i eat pretty balanced) But along my way i could cut more and more "medication and supplements i needed) I am left now with one fish-oil and a multi vitamin for woman.
    But i get lab work regular.
    So you better inform and talk with your doctor first if is needed.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Is that for people with an already healthy and well rounded diet?

What about between two people who eat nothing by macorni cheese. Except one takes a multivitamin.

It's for the average person. Vitamin supplements are only effective if you have an actual deficiency.
  • Orphia
    Options

Yep. To add to this:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I first heard the expensive pee thing on the Big Bang Theory. IKR! Then I did research. Yeah, I'm not sure if I do need to take them. I am however doing a little test of my own right now. My nails have always been weak and I've been taking a daily vitamin for about two months now. The last of my gel damage is just growing out. I want to see of my nails are better taking vitamins, than not taking vitamins. If they're not I'll not bother because other than less food it's really the only thing in my diet that's changed.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Ask 10 people what "eating right" means and get 10 different answers.

And do we mean eating right 100% of the time? Or 80%? Or 60%?

And does does being on a reduced calorie diet, where fewer nutrients may be consumed, change the situation? Most people in the studies referred to above were in a calorie surplus, if they were "average Americans". ;)

OP, it's an unregulated industry, so the brands are probably not all the same. Here are some brands verified by an independent, non-profit lab (US Pharmacopeia):
    usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements/verified-supplements
  • Orphia
    Options
    I first heard the expensive pee thing on the Big Bang Theory. IKR! Then I did research. Yeah, I'm not sure if I do need to take them. I am however doing a little test of my own right now. My nails have always been weak and I've been taking a daily vitamin for about two months now. The last of my gel damage is just growing out. I want to see of my nails are better taking vitamins, than not taking vitamins. If they're not I'll not bother because other than less food it's really the only thing in my diet that's changed.

Do you know if the vitamins that help nail growth are included in your vitamin tablets?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I tried taking Wellwoman Plus for a bit because I was tired all the time. I figured I might as well try supplements for a bit and see if they make any difference. They didn't, not that I noticed anyway. The doctor prescribed then iron and vitamin D tablets so I'm now taking those and so far not noticing a difference, but it's only been a couple of weeks, so maybe it hasn't started to kick in yet. Either way I'm much happier taking the new tablets than the Wellwoman ones - they were huge and tasted like plastic lol
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Do you know if the vitamins that help nail growth are included in your vitamin tablets?

Yep and they are.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, unless your doctor tells you to take one, multivitamins are money down the drain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Those of us who have had gastric surgery have known mal-absorption issues so I am on vitamins for life. Weight Watchers clients are similarly advised to take a multivitamin. People on reduced calories might miss something . Double the chances of they are restricting a Macro like fats. Some vitamins are fat soluble.

If I were to advise a generic North American I would suggest a gender based multivitamin (for men, for women) and don't worry about the brand. Women will get more iron and Folic Acid.

Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere needs more vitamin D.

Nail growth is encouraged I believe by having enough protein, calcium, and Vitamin E in the diet.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins might be unregulated but do they need to be regulated? Just got to do some research, go with a trusted or well known brand etc

And being a waste of money or money down the drain, why not see it as vitamin deficit insurance. Unless your getting regular blood works etc or never eat any fruit and veg how can you really be sure your getting all the vitamins and minerals.

A small price to pay for vitamin and mineral peace of mind?
  • Orphia
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Multivitamins might be unregulated but do they need to be regulated? Just got to do some research, go with a trusted or well known brand etc

And being a waste of money or money down the drain, why not see it as vitamin deficit insurance. Unless your getting regular blood works etc or never eat any fruit and veg how can you really be sure your getting all the vitamins and minerals.

A small price to pay for vitamin and mineral peace of mind?

If you don't have any health problems, you don't need to spend money on vitamins.

I'm inclined to think buying them as "insurance" is a bit of hypochondria.