Should I see a doctor?

Options
Hip-hip-horray! I lost a grand total of 0.6 pounds for the month of June. I have stuck very closely to 1200-1400 calories a day, logged all I ate, and exercise at the gym vigorously 3-4 times a week for over an hour each time.

I am considering seeing my doctor, but I don't know if I am more afraid that they will not believe me when I "complain" about not losing weight, or that they will prescribe meds that have bad side effects.

I am coming up on using MFP for one entire year. I have lost every month but not enough when I still have quite a bit more to go. 28 pounds for a year is not really that much.

Any thoughts?

70044776.png

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Before talking about seeing a doctor, let's see if we can find any other things that might help or could be improved. Can you open your diary?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That's over two pounds a month, nothing to sneeze at!

Have you eliminated the possibility of a logging issue? If you open your diary, you may get some helpful advice.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food using a scale?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How tall and light are you ? An open diary (settings, bottom left) might provide an insight.

Apart from the weight loss rate do you have any symptoms for a doctor to work on ?
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Before talking about seeing a doctor, let's see if we can find any other things that might help or could be improved. Can you open your diary?

It is open.

• DemoraFairy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah, one glace at the diary and the problem is pretty apparent! You've got a lot of entries in cups, slices, tablespoons, 'servings', etc. Get a food scale and start weighing everything - this is the only way to be absolutely sure of how many calories you're eating. You're probably eating a lot more than you think.

Hopefully someone will post a particular video of a guy comparing measuring cups to the actual weight, it's pretty good for demonstrating this! (I'd post it but can't at the moment)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it isn't, hence my suggestion. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings bottom left set to Public
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

She must have closed it again...DemoraFairy took a look at it.
  • GreenValli
    Options

Yes, I do use a scale and measuring cups for most things. I do not bother for things like lettuce, or smaller calories items.

For example: This morning I counted out dried raisins, cranberries, and walnuts. Measured out oatmeal using a measuring cup, and teaspoon for measuring out a teaspoon of marmalade. Did not measure out the 2% milk I added to my coffee though, but still logged it.

• DemoraFairy
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »

Yes, I do use a scale and measuring cups for most things. I do not bother for things like lettuce, or smaller calories items.

For example: This morning I counted out dried raisins, cranberries, and walnuts. Measured out oatmeal using a measuring cup, and teaspoon for measuring out a teaspoon of marmalade. Did not measure out the 2% milk I added to my coffee though, but still logged it.

Problems here: teaspoon of marmalade. 1 teaspoon is very different for different people: do you pile it up? Do you scrape it level? Measuring cups aren't accurate enough, with solid foods you can get vastly different amounts in depending on how tightly you pack it, how much you allow it to pile over the top, etc. In the video I mentioned before it shows that the weight listed for 1 cup of something actually was less than 1 cup - the amount of food came up to a couple of cm below the rim of the cup. You've got a lot of things in your diary like 2 slices of cucumber, 2 large carrots - these descriptions are completely arbitrary and mean nothing. For example, if you search for egg there's an option somewhere that says 1 large egg is 70 calories. I wouldn't say the eggs I have a large at all, but when weighed they come to over 100 calories each.

Not weighing things like that makes small differences individually, but small differences add up. Trust me, try weighing everything, you'll probably be surprised.
  • GreenValli
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    How tall and light are you ? An open diary (settings, bottom left) might provide an insight.

Apart from the weight loss rate do you have any symptoms for a doctor to work on ?

Thank you so much for your help!

I am 5ft. 2in. Keep in mind, also, that I am now in my 60's, I did lose 25 lbs over the course of 4 years before I started MFP because I was losing so slowly. I thought MFP would help, and it did. I have lost the 28 more. But still 2 lbs. a month is so slow when I still have 50+ more to lose. I see so many others losing so much more. It is hard to stay motivated the last few days. I am getting very discouraged.

I do not have any specific symptoms that I know of. I have not gone to the doctor for a while, probably six months or so, because I have not been sick or anything.

70044776.png
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I wasn't able to see your diary but if you are doing as you say you should easily be able to lose at least a pound week.

I am 62 and eat between 1300-1400. Walk about 3 miles a day and do light weight training 3 days a week. I don't eat any of those exercise calories back. I don't think they burn that many so I just include that as part of my activity level.

This works for me. I am trying for 4 - 6 lbs a month. For June it was slightly over 7lbs.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: Get a food scale and weigh ALL SOLID FOODS!!!!.....Measure liquids only!! Count every little secret bite you take.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Well the cheapest way to go would be to tighten up your food logging. Weighing your solid and measuring your liquids is the best way (even walnut,oatmeal) ..... if you feel you have symptoms of thyroid trouble then check with your doctor.
    Honestly the last thing you want to do is have to take a pill EVERYDAY for the rest of your life.
    Hopefully someone will post that video stated above..... very informative.
    good luck.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    She must have closed it again...DemoraFairy took a look at it.

I think she only has it opened to friends.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Weighing and measuring: I do weigh meats and most other solid foods. It seems more reasonable and accurate to me to use measuring spoons for small things like salad dressing and marmalade. I do level them off.

The only changes I can imagine implementing from what you are saying is to weigh oatmeal, which I do eat almost every morning. And eggs: I have not been weighing. With shell or after cooked?

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is hard for me to think that those few things would make that much of a difference, but I am willing to make changes. My diary might look very "full" to you, but I do cook and eat at home almost all of the time. So many of my meals have lots of ingredients that I combine to make items like salads, and such. I will leave my diary open for anyone to view, but will close it later today.

BTW, I do not eat back calories per se. I do allow myself to eat more towards 1400 on days I exercise, and closer to 1200 when I don't go to the gym.

I will look up symptoms of thyroid problems later today. Got to run for now. Thanks everyone! I so appreciate it. I have "doctor" phobia and really don't want to see one unless necessary. I am feeling great and healthy other than being frustrated about a slow weight loss.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one glace at the diary and the problem is pretty apparent! You've got a lot of entries in cups, slices, tablespoons, 'servings', etc. Get a food scale and start weighing everything - this is the only way to be absolutely sure of how many calories you're eating. You're probably eating a lot more than you think.

Hopefully someone will post a particular video of a guy comparing measuring cups to the actual weight, it's pretty good for demonstrating this! (I'd post it but can't at the moment)

I just want to say- just because entries are made in spoons and cups etc does not mean that person is not weighing their food. Most of my entries are like that but I weigh everything. I just use the "serving size" of cup to document.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    Options
    First of all for a person who is 5ft 2" and still has to intake a full amount of nutrients (I.e. you're playing in 1200 territory) a loss of MORE than 2lbs a week is NOT slow unless you engage in an insane amount of exercise.

Secondly it should be fairly simple for you to go back and cross check your "this is the deficit I believe I've had during the past month, three months, year" and this is the corresponding weight I lost. Each lb of loss requiring about a 3500 Cal deficit, how much off are your estimates?

Third you do have a bit of an accuracy problem in going by cups instead of weight. Whether it is substantial or to the order of only a few Cal a day on average, that we don't know.

Fourth, motivation/lack. This always strikes me as weird. The alternative to no longer putting in the effort is NOT maintainance, it is uncontrolled weight gain. Most of us did not end up here because we were naturally able to maintain our weight, so we will shoot right back up when we get sick and tired of....

Of what?

Somewhere in there (and you have been doing this by the sounds of it for three years+?) you (and I) must recognize that maintenance will not (and in order to succeed should not) be drastically different than whatever we've been doing during weight loss!

So whatever it is that is not sustainable for you during weight loss should probably be tinkered with to improve your outlook!

We can address other potential issues once you have more accurate logging and you know how far off your weight loss is as compared to your "believed" deficits....

Note accurate includes both by weight entries and double checking with outside sources the database entries used. (USDA database for most non packaged items. The unreliable package for the packaged ones)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »

See, that’s the problem. All those things are very calorie-dense and you’re probably underestimating how much you’re eating. Watch the above video!