Multivitamins?

Options
daisyverma
daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondering what kind/brand of multivitamins people are taking?

Do you find that it helps / makes a difference in your daily living?

Liquid vs Pill? I read that liquid is absorbed better by the body, but man is it expensive. Of course, those claims might be made by those companies selling liquid vitamins...so hard to depend on "studies"

I am mainly looking at multi's that have iron in them, as I am deficient (vegetarian), and figure I may kill two birds with one stone (lesser pills to swallow). The iron supplement was recommended by my doctor after blood work, but there were a few other issues as well, which is why I am looking at a multi + iron.

Also, being a female, wonder if I should take multis designed for women? always wondered if its a marketing gimmick

Based on just googling and reading info on forums, there seems to be a general dislike for Centrum....even though its probably the most famous brand out there for vitamins

thoughts, advice, feedback etc..

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Are you currently trying to lose weight? How long do you plan to diet? If you plan to diet for 6+ months, yeah, Centrum might fill in some holes. When I'm cutting, I take half of a One-a-day per day... but everyone's different. A pre-natal vitamin is useful for some people who are dieting. Do you have other issues you want to mention besides low iron? Need B-12? Many people need more Vitamin D and also should probably take Fish Oil.
  • ChuckeeCheezit
    ChuckeeCheezit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamins are not proven to work. I remember some group testing store brand vitamins from gnc and some brands don't even have what they advertise in it or the dosing is wrong.

And if you dont have a deficiency would not take them, even to cover your 'bases'. I did the same thing and when i got a blood test my phosphorus levels were high because the multi i was taking had too much in it. So it can actually harm you if not careful.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    It seems excessive, but you should honestly see your doctor and get a blood workup done before you start supplementing, because people seriously do give themselves health problems by overdosing on vitamins that the body can't just excrete. It's not as rare as you'd think.

I used to take the liquid ones but my doctor told me it's not worth bothering with, so now I just take sublingual B-complex, spray vitamin D, and iron (all on my doctor's advice) along with a kid's gummy multi under the "can't hurt, might help" category (also cleared by the doctor.)
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information !
  • daisyverma
    Options
    I do take omega 3 fish oil due to inflammation in the body..after I started taking it, I noticed a decrease in pain and inflammation..dunno if that's a coincidence or the omega 3 at work(?)

I am trying to lose weight, however am not being very diligent about it and this is something I am working on as well. However I do not believe in dieting and so trying to make lifestyle changes (reduce sugar, white flour etc...) along with exercise. Right now just trying to work out health issues before getting back into exercising

As per my post, the reason I am looking into the multi + iron is due to blood work. My dr suggested an iron supplement but being vegetarian, where I eat no fish (aside from the omega 3 pill), no eggs (make me feel sick), and no meat whatsoever, I figured maybe a multi + iron might do some good...I really don't like taking pills/supplements more than once a day.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Just to add: men, in general, should not supplement iron unless under a doctor's advice.
  • WBB55
    Options
    If you eat a lot of vegetables because you're vegetarian, you might not need to supplement vitamins. In particular vitamin A. You might be low in some minerals, but blood work would show that.

Honestly, you might want to see a dietician/nutritionist. You seem to have a few compounding issues: Vegetarian, low iron, other things you're being vague about. We really probably can't give you good advice. We want you to be healthy, so it's hard for anyone here on the internet to tell you what to do.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I do take a multi and have for years. I swear by a food-based non-synthetic (like rainbow) because it doesn't make me throw up like the others do. My old nutritionist recommended it after I explained that I typically get so nauseated from them. Chewables also work for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. Adding vitamins if you are not deficient can do more harm than good. Some can even be meatball if they build up in your system too much (fat soluble vitamins).
  • daisyverma
    Options
    Maybe I'll just stick with upping my iron..gonna try blackstrap molasses
  • WBB55
    Options
    Ok, I'm gonna guess that molasses is non-heme iron. Do you eat ANYTHING that comes from an animal? I guess I'd take an iron supplement with the fish oil supplement. Non-heme iron simply isn't absorbed as well by the body. You'd have to eat like 600 calories of molasses per day to get your iron. Does your doctor know that you're vegetarian? And your doctor didn't tell you what to do?

I really do suggest going to a nurtiritionist or dietition. You have special concerns. Adding a few g of non-heme iron is... a tiny step... towards adequate iron if you're anemic and have a problem with proper iron absorption. Vitamin C, avoiding foods high in tannic acid, legumes, calcium... all of this affects iron absorption if you're having health issues. I URGE YOU to seek professional advice if you are (1) diagnosed anemic and (2) vegetarian.