Cardio Queen that wants to lift

Options
So, Ive been running about 4x/ week for the past 5 months...and havent seen much change in my body. I have been trying to eat clean, but have had my fair share of weak moments/days/weekends. I keep saying I want to start lifting, but I dont know where to start. I do have a gym membership and access to weight machines, free weights, pools and more. . . does anyone have a beginners weight trainging program that they've seen results with? or could recommend one to me? Thanks!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eating clean? Pointless arbitrary term with no real definition. Eat what you want.

Follow a program such as;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Up your protein to 0.6-0.8g per lb of body mass seeing as you will need more. Eat in a deficit or eat in a surplus because you didn't really say what your goal was (lose weight, build muscle?).
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Eating clean? Pointless arbitrary term with no real definition. Eat what you want.

Follow a program such as;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Up your protein to 0.6-0.8g per lb of body mass seeing as you will need more. Eat in a deficit or eat in a surplus because you didn't really say what your goal was (lose weight, build muscle?).

Cosigned to all of the above
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I want to lose body fat and gain lean muscle. I dont want much, just a tighter abdomen and little overall definition..
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    I want to lose body fat and gain lean muscle. I dont want much, just a tighter abdomen and little overall definition..

You might like the idea of a recomp then: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

muscle is by definition lean.

you won't gain a bulk of muscle as a woman it's hard to gain even 1lb of muscle a month trying.

Going to the gym and starting one of the aforementioned programs will not "bulk you up" I've been lifting for 2 years...do I look "bulky"
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Which is what all of the above recommendations will get you. You'll never accidently get ripped using those. You'd have to work really hard and eat for it.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who actually wanted to look huge and bulky and bulked very aggressively and lifted heavy for almost a year. You won't get big without a TON of hard work and patience, so don't be scared of doing the programs the people above me suggested.