Help Mexican For Dinner

Options
I'm joining friends for Mexican dinner tonight. Any suggestions on what to eat that won't completely break the bank? I know enough to stay away from the chips and I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat seafood so that's out. Help please.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    babybs wrote: »
    I'm joining friends for Mexican dinner tonight. Any suggestions on what to eat that won't completely break the bank? I know enough to stay away from the chips and I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat seafood so that's out. Help please.

Grilled meats, vegetables = i.e. fajitas or skirt steak are good options
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    fajitas without the tortilla, salad with some yummy guac or some chicken on top
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chimichanga soft is my favorite.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are often loaded with oil though... I'm amazed by the calories when I look up their nutrition info in restaurants.

Tostadas or a couple tacos seems like a better option, IMO... Or a salad with salsa as dressing, and light on the cheese.
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Going to be hard to stay away from the beans, my favorite.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    agree with Francl27. if you don't eat seafood, then a couple of a la carte tacos with meat and pico may be your best bet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    babybs wrote: »
    Sounds yummy. Going to be hard to stay away from the beans, my favorite.

Depending on what else you eat, you don't have to avoid beans. The calorie counts are pretty reasonable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what your calorie goal is but I get huevos con chorizo and guacamole.
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • munchkinettes
    munchkinettes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually find good soups at Mexican restaurants. Chicken tortilla soup and a side salad?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a tortilla soup is always good, but calories may vary.

honestly, do your best and just accept you eat what you eat. one day won't hurt. if you want, tomorrow do a little more in the workout department
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Taco salad, meat of your choice, dressing on the side, move the chips away from you.
  • jlnolin
    jlnolin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with @DeguelloTex. Taco salad, shredded chicken, salsa as your dressing, maybe some guac for healthy fats. Yummy!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid anything, just eat less.

For chips: ask for a plate, put about 7 to 8 and guesstimate that this is about a serving.

For meal: order what you want, ask for a to-go box right away, and put half in the box and save for tomorrow. If it's a particularly big meal, divide it into thirds, leave 1/3 on your plate and put the rest into a box for two more meals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Taco salad, meat of your choice, dressing on the side, move the chips away from you.

Yep. Great Mexican restaurant choice, except have a few chips if you want!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep. Great Mexican restaurant choice, except have a few chips if you want!
    Oh, I'm not saying don't eat the chips. As a huge fan of Tex-Mex, that's one of the sentences I'd be least likely ever to say. I'm just saying don't have the basket/bowl right in front you so you can munch mindlessly. Get a few at a time and enjoy the corn goodness.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

For chips: ask for a plate, put about 7 to 8 and guesstimate that this is about a serving.

For meal: order what you want, ask for a to-go box right away, and put half in the box and save for tomorrow. If it's a particularly big meal, divide it into thirds, leave 1/3 on your plate and put the rest into a box for two more meals.

^ This.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican because you can ask for warmed/steamed corn tortillas, load up on meat/veg and there are so many low calorie condiments - jalapeño, cilantro, lime - that really pack a flavor punch.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options

Great advice here ^^^^. Also, I have found that most Mexican restaurants will provide sliced veggies to dip in place of chips. And you could always split a meal with a friend or chose a smaller, lighter appetizer as your meal.
    Above all, enjoy yourself & realize that one meal will not undo your hard work. And, if it will assuage some guilt, add in some extra exercise tomorrow!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i assume by help you mean you need help eating all the mexican foods?