Update. Confused about weight loss while weight training

Options
Today I weighed in at 109lbs but I'm confused because when I started weight training about a month ago, I was 114lbs. I have definitely gained muscle mass so how is it possible that I've lost weight, if muscle is heavier than fat? fxqkta2ftay5.jpg

Replies

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    How do you know you have gained muscle? You can gain strength especially as a beginner without gaining size simply because a month ago you almost certainly were not recruiting all the fibers ova given muscle. Lots of early gains in performance can be neurological rather than muscular.

If you are losing weight you are eating at a deficit, considering your relatively lean starting point it is almost impossible that you are going to add mass anywhere at this point.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How do you know you gained mass? Just seeing muscle definition doesn't mean you gained muscle.
  • radicalfae
    radicalfae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple. Even though muscle weight more than fat, your using more fat to make muscle. Another words you probably gained about a pound of muscle but burned 6 pounds of fat doing it. Also, muscle tends to stay if used or even get bigger when stressed by hard exercise. The only way you lose muscle is inactivity and over exercising. Fat you burn 24/7 as long as you have a calorie deficit. A pound of muscle also burns more calories to stay around than a pound of fat. It's a small amount per hour. But when you begin to add pounds of muscle and factor the hours in a day and the days in a week it adds up. The more muscle you build the more fat you burn as long as your not eating more than you should.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh okay thanks for the info guys!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!