Help Mexican For Dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Stay away from chips, alcoholic beverages, request a large salad, no sour cream, cheese or guacamole. Salsa dressing. Skip dessert.
  • Leesha387
    Leesha387 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid of the Salsa! low cal :) and Yummy!
  • cjcool88
    cjcool88 Posts: 188 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi, amiga!...I know it can be a little bit hard when mexican food is around, and I know if for a fact because, well, I am mexican (living in Mexico, don't wanna upset Donald Trump haha) and of course, we have very unhealty mexican food, but we also have very very healthy food...

So, I will stick with just 1 or 2 tortillas, cooked beans (not refried, we use pork lard to cook refried beans) and go with some charbroiled meat or chicken (carne asada or pechuga asada) or at least grilled or broiled. And some cooked or raw veggies, of course some chiles (or a bit of salsa), nopales asados (cactus), panela cheese (low fat) and maybe some chicken broth with veggies.

Avoid rice, burritos (flour tortillas), tortilla chips (fried) , chimichangas and chilaquiles.

If you can't avoid drinks, you can go for natural "Agua de jamaica" (hibiscus) and/or carbonated water (club soda) with lime (if it's a mexican restaurant , there should be plenty of lime or lemons).

Enjoy your food, buen provecho!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat what you want and what will enjoy and log it :)

i love fish tacos, and those are reasonable calorie wise. but sometimes.... im all about the enchiladas! mmmmmm
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just skip tortillas and chips. Go minimal on cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. Those can add up a lot on calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you have to work with tonight OP?

I usually figure a restaurant meal for anywhere from 800-1000 cals at a minimum, without alcohol or dessert. It's certainly possible to minimize this but that's what I usually plan for and I think one of the keys is to understand that even if you do go over, you are not going to undo all your progress. Just get back on track tomorrow.

That said, at a Mexican place I usually eat some of the chips and salsa (splitting one basket with a family of four really isn't a lot) have either a margarita or a Corona (or two) and get pork carnitas with black beans and rice.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. I'd do chicken to keep the tortillas. I like tortillas. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Two tacos. Or a steak. Depends on how many calories you have. I usually go to a restaurant with 1200 calories to spare and it's often not enough if I want a drink and eat the chips too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    7ad03a6c0d1d9eb69e631bb37821c409.jpg

Stay away from them! Just eat your desired meal, and have a good time.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I could go for some mexican right now!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Taco salad is loaded with calories and fat!!! I eat at a Mexican restaurant about every 10 days an get a tostada, rice and beans with the sour cream on the side and have managed to lose 60 pounds!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    cjcool88 wrote: »
    Hi, amiga!...I know it can be a little bit hard when mexican food is around, and I know if for a fact because, well, I am mexican (living in Mexico, don't wanna upset Donald Trump haha) and of course, we have very unhealty mexican food, but we also have very very healthy food...

So, I will stick with just 1 or 2 tortillas, cooked beans (not refried, we use pork lard to cook refried beans) and go with some charbroiled meat or chicken (carne asada or pechuga asada) or at least grilled or broiled. And some cooked or raw veggies, of course some chiles (or a bit of salsa), nopales asados (cactus), panela cheese (low fat) and maybe some chicken broth with veggies.

Avoid rice, burritos (flour tortillas), tortilla chips (fried) , chimichangas and chilaquiles.

If you can't avoid drinks, you can go for natural "Agua de jamaica" (hibiscus) and/or carbonated water (club soda) with lime (if it's a mexican restaurant , there should be plenty of lime or lemons).

Enjoy your food, buen provecho!

Great advice. Me encanta de agua de jamiaca, btw,