Gluten Free-Diabetic Diet

Options
I am interested in knowing if anyone has any good recipes/advice for a good gluten free, diabetic diet. My doctor had just diagnosed me with a severe gluten sensitivity about 2 months ago, after what seemed like years of pain and agony in my stomach. On top of that, I just started insulin about a month before. After that appointment, I went home and started thinking about the things that were making me so sick. So, I stopped eating them. Bread was the biggest problem! But I did it...when I went back just 6 weeks later, I had lost 16 lbs! He said that if I kept it up, I could possibly be off ALL meds by the end of the summer! Man, is that exciting! But I don't want to get bored with the same old stuff after a while. I am open to any suggestions right now, because I am looking forward to not having to take any meds, and taking off some more of the weight I have been fighting for years!

Replies

• ghotiandtchoghs8192
    ghotiandtchoghs8192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you peruse this site, you will find stuff that will help. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/special-diets/gluten-free/main.aspx

Not knowing what you like I can't really say but they will have ideas for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am interested in knowing if anyone has any good recipes/advice for a good gluten free, diabetic diet. My doctor had just diagnosed me with a severe gluten sensitivity about 2 months ago, after what seemed like years of pain and agony in my stomach. On top of that, I just started insulin about a month before. After that appointment, I went home and started thinking about the things that were making me so sick. So, I stopped eating them. Bread was the biggest problem! But I did it...when I went back just 6 weeks later, I had lost 16 lbs! He said that if I kept it up, I could possibly be off ALL meds by the end of the summer! Man, is that exciting! But I don't want to get bored with the same old stuff after a while. I am open to any suggestions right now, because I am looking forward to not having to take any meds, and taking off some more of the weight I have been fighting for years!

Some of the keto recipes would work for you because they do not have grains or much sugar: Baked Mushroom and Herbs Casserole
    http://www.ketogenial.com/recipe/baked-mushrooms-and-herbs-pie/

szpkschf2jzh.jpg

Grilled Green Beans

wm5up4tqgtc2.jpg
  • moiszambra
    moiszambra Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started with cutting off anything white bread, potato, pasta and dairy products.. My sugar went down by 200 points in one month
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been eating gluten free for a few years due to celiac disease. My advice would be not to use gluten free substitutes in your diet. Avoid most GF baked goods, unless made with almond flour or coconut flour, because the starches and GF flours used have very few nutrients or fibre. Muffins, breads and crackers that are gluten free generally aren't very good for you. It is better to replace things with healthier whole foods. KWIM?

Paleo cookbooks might help you. They are gluten free but they do no use any grains, which is usually healthy for a diabetic.

Dr Bernstein has some good diabetic books and cookbooks. He's a healthy type 1 diabetic who changed his eating to become MUCH longer lived than the average diabetic when he was diagnosed about 60 years ago.

celiac.com forums have a fair bit of cooking and baking info in there too.

And congrats on doing such a great job! Keep impressing that doctor!
  • moiszambra
    moiszambra Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great info NVS thanks