Protein Help/Meal Ideas (for a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian)?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am *okay* with protein and just getting settled into my new diet...today I will have had around 90grams...but I would really like to lower my fat intake a bit and up my protein intake. I will be eating some "gmo free" boca products, as well as probably some regular ones and lightlife products, which I know are processed, but are a quick way to boost my protein sometimes. I also eat a lot of eggs/egg whites and get both lots of carbs and a bit of protein from tortillas. I know I can find some canned beans maybe...or something, but what else could I use? Any meal ideas? I don't do fish or chicken either. I'm not big on sweets, but once my calorie limit goes up I guess I could toss in a protein shake. I'm 5'4", an unhappy 180-190lbs right now and exercising 30-90 minutes per day. I eat back my exercise calories (usually). I would also appreciate an idea of how much protein you would suggest I get per day. Feel free to look at my diary for today. I just started logging again though and we are low on food until the 7th. lol. I also don't log all of my veggies (unless I feel it's significant).

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your 90g of protein seems adequate for your height. Cheese has a similar fat / protein balance to eggs (whole). 1500 to 1900 calories suggests you're aiming for a fairly modest loss rate ?
  • Verity1111
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    your 90g of protein seems adequate for your height. Cheese has a similar fat / protein balance to eggs (whole). 1500 to 1900 calories suggests you're aiming for a fairly modest loss rate ?
    I lose about 1-2lbs per week. I guess that's modest. lol. Sometimes I lose 3+. If I eat a little under 1500.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Oh & I love cheese... The store by me has fat free cheese and I sometimes mix it half and half with regular for the protein. :blush: Thank you for the input @yarwell
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I lose about 1-2lbs per week. I guess that's modest. lol. Sometimes I lose 3+. If I eat a little under 1500.

If this is correct, you are already winning. Good job. Keep doing what your doing, no sense fixing what isn't broke
  • Verity1111
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

If this is correct, you are already winning. Good job. Keep doing what your doing, no sense fixing what isn't broke

I am mainly worried about losing too much muscle and having to work extra hard to build it back up. I heard that happens if you don't eat enough protein. Thank you. Yes, when I stick to it, it's easy for me to lose. I have three kids under age four..one of which is a 3 year old with non-verbal autism. I think that contributes to my activity level or something.
  • mantium999
    Options
    I am also ovo lacto. Eggs, beans, nuts, and meat analogs are my friends. If I find myself low on protein I supplement with protein powder.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I am also ovo lacto. Eggs, beans, nuts, and meat analogs are my friends. If I find myself low on protein I supplement with protein powder.

I really like your profile picture. I didn't even think of nuts. lol. I'm not too big on them unless they're covered in chocolate....Lol. or maybe almonds with fruit. Are nuts high in fat? I need to look this up... :no_mouth:
  • mantium999
    Options
    Nuts are high in fat and calorie dense, so you definitely need to pay attention to them.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    a protien shake is an inexpensive way to get more protien in. I use a rice based one (great for sensitive tummies, like mine) but there are plenty of options out there.

Lots of dairy based protiens out there, like greek yogurt (dannon makes an 80 calorie light'n'fit version) , cottage cheese, etc.

I personally have no issues with processed food, or soy-based foods, as long as they fit into my goals for the day/week. So I eat boca patties, TVP, soy milk and tofu quite often.

If you are not using a food scale yet, I highly recommend using one.

I cook up dry beans, and weigh out a 100g portion to go with my meals for a protien boost. I also use it to weigh out my protien powder, fruits/veg, and condiments.

• melimomTARDIS
    Options
    added- nuts are awesome to meet your fat macro, but I tend to not rely on them for protien.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    added- nuts are awesome to meet your fat macro, but I tend to not rely on them for protien.

HA! I go over my fat way too much.... lol def don't need that...though now I kind of want almonds and berries/maraschino cherries. Thank you for all the ideas. :blush: I hate yogurt...hate is a strong word, detest, detest is stronger. lol. I don't mind cottage cheese. I'll need to check the fat content on that.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    cottage cheese comes in varying ranges of fat percentages, from fat free to full fat, just like milk :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    cottage cheese comes in varying ranges of fat percentages, from fat free to full fat, just like milk :)

I know! I looked it up. It's already on my shopping list for Tuesday. :blush: Thank you!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Protein intake sounds adequate.
    Making your own seitan from vital wheat gluten is a pretty cheap option I've recommended a lot. You have to pair it properly for a complete protein, or make the batch with soy sauce for the same effect.
    Not sure why bocca burgers being "gmo free" matters.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Making your own seitan from vital wheat gluten is a pretty cheap option I've recommended a lot. You have to pair it properly for a complete protein, or make the batch with soy sauce for the same effect.

IDK people complain that gmos are bad for me lol just throwing it out there. I'm eventually going to want to strength train some. Any recommendations on how high to raise it then? I'm thinking 130. Not sure if it truly matters, but just in case... lol
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

IDK people complain that gmos are bad for me lol just throwing it out there. I'm eventually going to want to strength train some. Any recommendations on how high to raise it then? I'm thinking 130. Not sure if it truly matters, but just in case... lol
    Starting strength training now will help you more than anything in terms of preserving muscle. If you don't have gym access (or time) right now, there are some bodyweight resistance programs that will get you started (look at You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning).

In terms of protein, the general recommendation is 0.8-1g per pound of LBM. If you're 180 pounds and 30% body fat (I'm just making up numbers here), you'd want to get 100-126g of protein daily, so your 90g is right in the ballpark.

I average 100-120g of vegetarian protein per day, FWIW. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas, but I eat the same things over and over so it's pretty boring. My protein staples are greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars and powder and eggs, with some beans and block cheese as well.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just got a couple of cans of refried vegetarian beans(A LOT of brands have lard so have to watch out for that), a package of tortillas, some cheese, and an onion ... All for like 15$, and been eating bean and cheese burritos for dinner for like over a week... Awesome for a budget! Lol!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to bump up protein, eat more leafy greens. Also broccoli. Cut out some carbs to fit in the broccoli and yellow squash.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Starting strength training now will help you more than anything in terms of preserving muscle. If you don't have gym access (or time) right now, there are some bodyweight resistance programs that will get you started (look at You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning).

In terms of protein, the general recommendation is 0.8-1g per pound of LBM. If you're 180 pounds and 30% body fat (I'm just making up numbers here), you'd want to get 100-126g of protein daily, so your 90g is right in the ballpark.

I average 100-120g of vegetarian protein per day, FWIW. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas, but I eat the same things over and over so it's pretty boring. My protein staples are greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars and powder and eggs, with some beans and block cheese as well.

YES to all of the above, particularly the bolder parts. Eating adequate protein is important for many reasons. But if you want to preserve muscle mass while in a deficit you need to strength train.

Also, protein is MORE important in a deficit than in maintenance/bulking for retaining muscle mass-no need to increase it once you're at a stable weight. I cannot emphasize enough that you should be lifting now-not later!

ETA: you already have some great advice on the protein options. I also do not eat meat, but eat eggs and dairy. My goal is around 100g of protein, and I often find myself short since giving up meat. I've been adding in protein powder and extra Greek yogurt lately to hit my goal. FWIW, my diary is public so feel free to check it out.