Plant Based lifestyle (vegan)

Options
I am slowly changing my lifestyle to a plant based one (for many reasons). I was going to eat a Paleo lifestyle, but I noticed I feel better when I don't eat a lot of meat. I also noticed that when I don't consume dairy, I am not as bloated.
I was just wondering how many of you are on the same boat? I have been on Youtube all day looking at "what I ate today" videos, but haven't found many about how it was in the beginning.

Replies

• ChicaFirme
    ChicaFirme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, not vegan so my journey was a little different
  • ChicaFirme
    ChicaFirme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a group called happy herbivores that may have some tips
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ChicaFirme wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian, not vegan so my journey was a little different

This may be the beer typing but lol
  • debsu13
    debsu13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a whole food plant based diet for about a year now. I started with the Engine 2 diet and Dr. Furman is good. Some blogs I get recipes from are: Forks over knives, Happy herbivore, Minimalist vegan and Oh she glows. Facebook pages and groups are my friends. Occasionally I treat myself to have vegan foods with added oils and refined products. But be careful not to over do it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I know it is easier to transition to vegan from vegetarian. Are you vegetarian? There are different types lacto ovo veg eat eggs and dairy no meat. Pesca eat only fish and other veg. There is fruit arian who only eat fruit. There is flexitarian who eat some vegetarian some meat.

but I have tried to do vegetarian for convenience bc my husband is but you really hace to ease yourself out of it. To me it is too hard. So I would primarily only eat meat at restaurants.

So I was pretty much a flexi. I wanted to be a raw foodist but my tummy cabt deal with that. So I tried paleo and my tummy rebelled a few again. So I eat meats that are easier digestive ly like fish and white meats.

I did want to be a vegan but I can't do that its far too restrictive for me personally but maybe you can wean into it?

I also have ad to stop eating too much vegetarian as I could no longer eat soy and I had to seek out other protein so I eat more white meats yogurts kind of stuff now.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat dairy or eggs for years. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I know it is easier to transition to vegan from vegetarian. Are you vegetarian? There are different types lacto ovo veg eat eggs and dairy no meat. Pesca eat only fish and other veg. There is fruit arian who only eat fruit. There is flexitarian who eat some vegetarian some meat.

but I have tried to do vegetarian for convenience bc my husband is but you really hace to ease yourself out of it. To me it is too hard. So I would primarily only eat meat at restaurants.

So I was pretty much a flexi. I wanted to be a raw foodist but my tummy cabt deal with that. So I tried paleo and my tummy rebelled a few again. So I eat meats that are easier digestive ly like fish and white meats.

I did want to be a vegan but I can't do that its far too restrictive for me personally but maybe you can wean into it?

I also have ad to stop eating too much vegetarian as I could no longer eat soy and I had to seek out other protein so I eat more white meats yogurts kind of stuff now.

LOL at "flexitarian." Gets me every time.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly fruit and vegetable diet myself, but I'm not a vegetarian. I'm OK with Vegans as long as they admit it is not a natural human diet. I do have an axe to grind about vegans who think they are better than others because of their diet. It's just not true. Humans are natural omnivores.

I can go days without eating any meat, eggs, or milk, but I like them all and don't restrict myself.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly fruit and vegetable diet myself, but I'm not a vegetarian. I'm OK with Vegans as long as they admit it is not a natural human diet. I do have an axe to grind about vegans who think they are better than others because of their diet. It's just not true. Humans are natural omnivores.

I can go days without eating any meat, eggs, or milk, but I like them all and don't restrict myself.

I eat everything myself, but I do think vegans have a few major sources for karma points: they contribute less to global warming (apparently farting cows emit a huge chunk of the greenhouse gases), and they don't directly cause animals to suffer (although loss of habitat is not taken into account).
    Perhaps some people can be a bit unpleasant when they feel superior, but credit where credit is due...
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian for 6 years and have started eating plant based after reading The China Study. It's a little overwhelming because dairy seems to be in everything I'm feeling good though. Feel free to add, I'd be happy to share struggles and triumphs!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do not like meat and am lactose intolerant. Eventually I decided to stop purchasing eggs.

So I am essentially vegan. I do not label myself as vegan, I do not like labels. If I accidentally purchase a product that contains honey, I will eat it, but not repurchase. This would horrify some people. I am not entirely convinced honey is unethical, but since I am unsure I do try to avoid it.

I do not eat clean. I cook most of my meals and eat lots of produce but I am also a huge fan of processed vegan junk (in moderation of course).

I enjoy my food so much more though. It's so exciting when you find vegan things that the excitement makes them better.
  • triciab79new
    triciab79new Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I eat everything myself, but I do think vegans have a few major sources for karma points: they contribute less to global warming (apparently farting cows emit a huge chunk of the greenhouse gases), and they don't directly cause animals to suffer (although loss of habitat is not taken into account).
    Perhaps some people can be a bit unpleasant when they feel superior, but credit where credit is due...

Lol you say global warming like its a real thing. You know the cows do not cease to exist because we do not eat them. If humans took themselves out of the food chain tomorrow it would be catastrophic to the natural balance, predators have a purpose. Do you think mice have greater karma than cats? If so let me introduce you to a piece of history known as the plague. I agree we should all do what we can for the environment and our furry friends but we are people, our greatest strength is our ability to think. We can solve all the problems without hurting other people or destroying the natural order if we slow down and look at both the big and small pictures and find solutions as a group
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for nine years.

The beginning can be a little challenging as you learn how to read labels and navigate social situations. After the first few months, I have found it very easy. I would recommend finding a cookbook or two that includes recipes of the kind you like to eat (there are vegan cookbooks for every type of cook -- I'm a cookbook junkie and can recommend some if you would like specific suggestions).

I would say the most challenging thing about being vegan is that there are always going to be people telling you, unsolicited, how they feel about it (see above if you want some examples). But honestly, this is going to happen however you live your life. You just have to realize that this says more about them than it does about you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Nobody posting on this forum is living a "natural" lifestyle. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Vegan for about 6 months. Then my doctor forbade me from it. She said "Some people are good at being vegetarian. You're not one of those people. I could prescribe you a bunch of fancy supplements, but what you really need to do is eat some fish or chicken a couple times a week." Not knocking it, just recommending studying up on deficiencies. After that for about 5 years I was vegan except for sushi! Yum!

I really did enjoy being vegan and felt great. I ate a lot of "raw" foods, just to make it easier. Like, it seemed against the purpose to eat a bunch of heavily processed vegan boutique food just to stay "vegan." Also at the start to make it easier, so I didn't have to live my life reading labels, I'd give things at restaurants and other people's houses the "benefit of the doubt." Like, "One CAN make bread vegan, so I'm just going to assume this bread is vegan." Like I said, I just did this at the start to make it easier to get the hang of things and make the eating with others easier at the beginning.

Lot's of beans, lentils and TVP :)
  • nikkib2115
    nikkib2115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    9L
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I'm not a vegan but definitely respect the sentiment behind ethical veganism and do feel that adherents walk a higher moral ground than I do:

Ethics of eating meat

In many societies, controversy and debate have arisen over the ethics of eating animals. The fundamental ethical objection to meat eating is that for most people living in the developed world it is not necessary for their survival or health;[1] hence, it is concluded, slaying animals just because people like the taste of meat is wrong and morally unjustifiable.[2][3]

Ethical vegetarians may also object to the agricultural practices underlying the production of meat, or cite concerns about animal welfare, animal rights, environmental ethics, and religious scruples. In response, proponents of meat eating have adduced various scientific, nutritional, cultural and religious arguments in support of the practice. In between, some meat eaters only object to rearing animals in certain ways, such as in factory farms, or killing them with cruelty; others avoid only certain meats, such as veal or foie gras.

...Treatment of animals

Ethical vegetarian concerns have become more widespread in developed countries particularly because of the spread of (1) factory farming, (2) more open and graphic documentation of what human meat-eating entails for its victims,[10] and (3) environmental consciousness.

Some proponents of meat eating argue that the current mass demand for meat has to be satisfied with a mass-production system, regardless of the welfare of animals.

Less extreme proponents argue that practices like well-managed free-range rearing and the consumption of hunted animals, particularly from species whose natural predators have been significantly eliminated, could satisfy the demand for mass-produced meat.[11]

Reducing the worldwide massive food waste would also contribute to reduce meat waste and therefore save animals.[12] Indeed, about a third of the food for human consumption is wasted globally (around 1.3 billion tons per year), according to the F.A.O., both in industrialized and developing countries.[13]

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_eating_meat
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I do not like meat and am lactose intolerant. Eventually I decided to stop purchasing eggs.

So I am essentially vegan. I do not label myself as vegan, I do not like labels. If I accidentally purchase a product that contains honey, I will eat it, but not repurchase. This would horrify some people. I am not entirely convinced honey is unethical, but since I am unsure I do try to avoid it.

I do not eat clean. I cook most of my meals and eat lots of produce but I am also a huge fan of processed vegan junk (in moderation of course).

I enjoy my food so much more though. It's so exciting when you find vegan things that the excitement makes them better.

This is the same story I have.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Lol you say global warming like its a real thing. You know the cows do not cease to exist because we do not eat them. If humans took themselves out of the food chain tomorrow it would be catastrophic to the natural balance, predators have a purpose. Do you think mice have greater karma than cats? If so let me introduce you to a piece of history known as the plague. I agree we should all do what we can for the environment and our furry friends but we are people, our greatest strength is our ability to think. We can solve all the problems without hurting other people or destroying the natural order if we slow down and look at both the big and small pictures and find solutions as a group

jon-stewart-confused-what.gif