Trader Joe's - what do you buy?

Options

Replies

• Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many things listed here, but the TJs in my area seem kinda small. How can they carry so much? I'll admit I don't shop there, but I might make a list from your suggestions and check it out tomorrow.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cheri1218 wrote: »
    There are sooo many things listed here, but the TJs in my area seem kinda small. How can they carry so much? I'll admit I don't shop there, but I might make a list from your suggestions and check it out tomorrow.

Since they (mostly) only carry their own store brand, there's only one or maybe two versions of everything. Think of a supermarket where you might have 15 different kinds of ham cold cuts; at Trader Joe's there are 2. Instead of an entire aisle for soda, they have one shelf unit. 2 kinds of frozen mac n cheese (regular and reduced calorie) instead of 10 different brands, etc.
    Also, they have a lot of seasonal items that are fun to wait/watch for. In the fall they get a lot of cranberry and pumpkin items, later in the winter they get a lot of holiday stuff (and dark chocolate covered peppermint Joe-Joe's (Oreos, basically) which are probably G-d's perfect food.)
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    #BUYALLTHETHINGS
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Trader Joe's and was really very impressed with the produce. Their prices are great on fresh veggies and most things are very reasonably priced. I do think their meats are rather expensive. I also like the Thai red curry sauce. Usually I go just for veggies and then enjoy browsing to see what interesting things I can take home to try.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate, raisins, sunflower seeds and lavender sea salt.....and or course flowers
  • craftergin
    craftergin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mild Pico de Gallo. It's to die for! And the frozen Chili Rellano. 350 calories. Just in case I'm too lazy to cook. I also get most of my fruit and veg there.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    they have a really good frozen meal -- salmon with orzo, mint and yogurt -- that's really goo, only 30 cals and pretty low in sodium. I keep it in my freezer for those days when I'm in a hurry and nee something quick, easy and good. I also buy wine, greek yogurt, organic milk, and their pecan praline granola.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Croissants, Thai peanut sauce, marcona almonds with rosemary, wine.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only person ever that was totally underwhelmed by TJ's.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only person ever that was totally underwhelmed by TJ's.

You're not. I was never too impressed with any of their stuff.

Ditto.
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    their fiber cakes are perfect for dieting (the 80 cal apple cranberry and blueberry ones). the packaged chicken sausages come in handy as well. shishito peppers. reddi egg. their spicy ranchero egg white salad. guiltless chicken salad. rolled oats. spelt bread
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, cookie butter. Lots of cookie butter.

I was disappointed with the cookie butter. Couldn't even get my kids to like the stuff, so I ended up throwing away a nearly full jar. :(
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My newest food love affair at Trader Joe's is their creamy asparagus soup. It's 200 calories for the container. It's spicy and tastes a lot like potato soup to me.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Organic coffee

Whatever new kind of dark chocolate

Weird produce and fruit I have not ate/made before

Cool place

• illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The produce at my local Trader Joe's isn't amazing, but everything else is pretty good. I usually get the frozen veggies and rice, organic foursome, their version of rice krispies, some kind of dried fruit (usually the organic Turkish apricots), their multicolored pasta, tofu, tempeh, soy chorizo, whatever I've run out of that week really.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I go for the 85% dark chocolate and maybe get a few groceries while I'm there. lol I usually always grab a frozen spinach and kale pie, some pomegranate yogurt, and a bottle of wine. Hubby loved the beef and broccoli we picked up to try last time, so that'll be on the permanent list. We usually grab a couple of new things to try each time we go.

A cooler bag is definitely a must for my fellow cross-border shoppers. I can get ice cream home without difficulty in mine. I'd recommend having at least a couple.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's. I used to work there in college and it was the best job I've ever had!

Cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream
    baguette
    brie cheese
    honey
    salted butter
    TJ's brand greek yogurt
    TJ's brand cottage cheese
    ground turkey
    Vietnamese spring rolls with shrimp
    Frozen potstickers
    Frozen berries
    Frozen chicken legs & thighs
    Indian curry packets
    Frozen rice
    COFFEE!
    Mint tea and Ginger tea
    Simpler Times Lager
    WINE!
    Ginger chews
    Whole Wheat pita bread
    Hummus (the plain traditional style one)
    Edamame - frozen
    Cuban style black beans
    Organic baked beans
    Miso ginger broth
    Reduced sodium tomato and roasted red pepper soup

I could go on and on and on and on, but that's my typical list ;)
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    • Chocolate honey mints
    • coconut flour
    • stevia
    • agave
    • sunflower seeds
    • bread (if i ever buy it..60-70 cals a slice!)
    • salsa (5 cals for 2 TBSP, yes please)
    • boxed indian food (the lentils or eggplant mix)
    • peanut butter with flax and chia seeds

i'd buy other stuff but it would melt before i hit the border - things like yogurt, cheese, cauliflower rice, etc..

[/list]

My friend, something is missing from your list. Your Trader Joe's insulated grocery bag. I left mine in the car in 100 degree heat for 8 hours and the ice was still frozen. Now GO! Go and buy all the yogurt and cheese that your heart desires!

wJDnVser8v.jpg

You are a godsend, rofl!!