Help please

Options
18 year old female. I weight 225 and my goal is 130. I have struggles with my weight since I was 15. I really want to lose weight but I often go off track. I work and feel exhausted all the time so I never want to work out. In my house my parents make us dinner so I get no choice on what I eat and for lunch we only have microwave meals and canned foods. Its hard to eat healthy here but I don't have the money to buy my own food. Anyone have any help?

Replies

• 2k15SydneyMFP
    2k15SydneyMFP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know where you're at, that's me right now. All I do is eat smaller portions and drink lots of water so I'm not as hungry. If the dinner your family makes is unhealthy but they have a salad eat mostly salad and just a little if none at all of the other food. I'm also 18 and I weigh 215 and my goal is also 130!! You can send me a friend request if you'd like (:
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why not do circuit training? Like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is pretty awesome and I have seen the most wonderful results, it's only 30 minutes so it's not that much. Sadly exercise is so important otherwise you end up all squishy but skinny, but not how you wish to be!
    Try speak to your parents tell them about your goal! Maybe they can get some fruit and veggies at least :)
    Put what you eat into the food thingy on mfp (my brain isn't working currently!) try get an idea of how much you eat, at least try to lower your portions so that you're eating at a deficit :)

I had problems with my weight when I was 15, all the same reasons, at 18 I was so over it! I remember I began walking a lot.. okay an insane amount.. and I ended up losing a lot of weight, exercise is so important :) it helps alot!
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's a rather difficult situation although at 18 you should have a larg amount of control over your life ie. what you eat and how much you exercise.
    I have four bothers, all that eat like teenagers do without any care or thought. Leaving high school I weighed 240, mostly fat. Being a football player heavier was always better. I decided one night, basically in tears, that I was done with the weight and that I wasn't going to eat the things they ate and I was going to exercise. By simply being strong willed I lost the weight and got to 190 pounds. I cut out pop, sugary food, butter, fired food. All the crap. I went to the track at school and ran, did bleachers, and lifted weights. You don't have to cut out all food, the situation your describing doesn't make that very possible. What you can change are the portion sizes and how much exercise you get.
    The first step is making the decision and dedicating yourself to change. This part is easy. The hard part is following through. You have to be mentally tough. You have to be able to sit down at a dinner table with family and pass on the fried food, pass on the pasta, and say no.
    What I found was that at first people will not understand you. They will look at you funny and ask why you won't just eat it. They tell you you're crazy, that one bite won't kill you. That's when you have to say you are bettering yourself and stay strong. Just say no thanks. Take the criticism and do what you do.
    Your going to have to exercise more. And you can do it! You can walk, jog, run or workout. Do sprints, lung walks, body weight squats, bike ride, jump rope anything. Three or four times a week for a half hour or so. Progress will come. Stick to the plan and be consistent. You'll trip every now and then. You'll give into urges and cheat. Is it the end of the world? Hell no. Take it in stride and keep going. The human body is incredible the way it can change, but the mind has to be aligned. You have to focus and be a beast. You aren't in the ideal situation, but in the grand scheme of things, are you ever? Make it happen.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Can you make your portion sizes smaller? I agree...talking with your parents is a great way to start. Maybe they will be inspired, too.
    A DVD or using your computer to watch a workout routine would be an easy add on (DVDs are pretty inexpensive and most people have a computer to watch youtube or another website for a workout). I like the 30 day shred because it takes (literally) 30 minutes. No joke.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Can you walk to work? Do you take the bus? Or does someone drive you? Park your car further away. Get off the bus one stop earlier. If someone drives you, get off a block or two away and walk the rest of the way. The key is to build in small amounts of added "exercise" and yes walking is a great way to start. Meals that are micro & canned, pay attention to the labels. Rinse off the canned food of added sodium & sugars, pay attention to the calorie count, protein is important, and do what you can as much as possible to just pay attention.
    As for meals that are cooked by someone else, don't eat the "skins" on the fried food, stick with the veggies, serve yourself before the butter & salt are added, eat less or none of the crap but don't go hungry. Pay attention to the protein. (Remember, eggs are a good, cheap source of protein.)
    You can do this. Just look for ways to work it in to your lifestyle and you will see your lifestyle start to change for the better.
  • Yamil0507
    Yamil0507 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Buy a portion plate, so you can still eat your parents dinner in small portion size. I have 2 kids and work full time so trust when I say I don't feel like working out either. But I found this exercise for starters guide in pintrest. For 30 days it has a very basic plan, for example day 1 was 15 jumping Jacks and 10 sit ups and as the days go buy it increases. My point is that it takes no time and very little effort. But anything to start off helps and it will increase your stamina so the next thing you know your full of energy
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want, I log daily and can hopefully help you! So far I have lost 30 pounds, starting at 205. I agree with some of the people above, try and talk to your parents. You have a job so maybe you can help buy some of the food.

When I started I had no motivation either, you have to find something that is fun. For me it was Zumba for the wii. I could do it when I wanted with no one watching in my living room and it made me feel it and sweat and the time passed quickly. As I lose more wight and all that I have now joined a gym but I worked out at home since Feb. and the gym thing you never have to do unless you want or can afford it. There are some awesome videos on youtube too with workouts for beginners as well (look up Hasfit or fitnessblender).

Just make sure to log everything on MFP and exercise if you can, even go for a walk or anything just to move, the more you move the better you will feel and have more motivation to do stuff. Keep the end goal in mind to stay motivated and allow yourself cheat days, not often, maybe one meal a week and dont go overboard.

• LipingHZ
    LipingHZ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same situation as you. Living with my parents and they're always cooking up good stuff! That's why I'm really obsessive about logging. This way I know I'm not going crazy with what I'm eating.

I could have a talk with my parents but they're not just cooking for me, they're also cooking for themselves and my sisters. So I would say there's a lot of responsibility on myself.

So I agree w/ @socialdchic, make sure you keep track on what you eat on MFP and exercise whenever you can!
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    On the days when you don't work, maybe you can go for a run? Maybe you can explain to your parents that you are trying to lose a bit of weight and ask if you can make your own dinner, but eat with them. That's what I do at my house. My parents eat one dinner and I eat my own... but I eat my dinner WITH them :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im sure they have all said it, but your fist focus is on understanding its how much you consume and no what you consume that matters for weight loss. Be at deficit and you will lose.

Exercise can help with weight loss or help create a bigger deficit, but you cna lose weight without it. Fitness is a desirable goal in its own right.

Get yourself a pt job and buy your own fruit and veg. If you really have no other choice and cannot influence what food you eat then your only option is portion control.