Bring a Dish/Potluck Recipe?

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
I have a cookout to attend this weekend, and in the past (before MFP) I always made a bacon-cheddar cheese-green onion-toasted almond cracker spread (it is WONDERFUL) because everyone requests it.
This time, I want to bring something flavorful and healthy and was thinking of this:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/mediterranean-couscous-salad/d2dbb723-7e92-4f91-a845-0160a82b8c25

I know some of the people won't try it or like it, but I want to bring something that is fresh and full of flavor. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy! It will either be a bit hit or people will be afraid to try it... you could substitute couscous for mabe a small ring pasta? that might be more "appealing" for people of bland minds :)
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Israeli salad is so healthy and good. You can lower the olive oil for sure. I also love to bring homemade hummus with celery.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    sounds very good, Since you love your other dish. Why not try to re-vamp it? you can go into the recipe section and enter it. see how many calories the orginal has and then use subsitutes.
  • smile72101
    smile72101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to use orzo as well....
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I have this new dish I've been making that is AMAZING. I took it to our church potluck last week, and I saw several people getting seconds, and someone came up to me after ask what it was.

1 c. quinoa
    2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
    2 grilled chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
    1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. lemon juice
    1 tsp cumin
    6 dates, finely chopped
    3 green onions, sliced
    1/3 c. almonds slivers or slices (I used pecans/almonds mixed)
    1 bag of romaine hearts (ready to use)

Cook the quinoa in the broth. Fluff and put into large mixing bowl. Add chicken and beans. Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, and cumin with whisk until creamy looking. Pour over top of the proteins and mix well. Add in the dates, onions, and almonds and mix. Toss with the romaine hearts and enjoy.

I know the first time I made it I thought it looked rather scary (it was only my second attempt at making quinoa), but it was sooooooo good. :)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I like a cucumber, vidalia sweet onion, bellpepper(yellow, red, & green), diced tomato, real bacon bits, feta cheese, and greek vinaigrette salad. Yum!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2990

This is a dish I'm looking forward to making. I think I'm using quinoa though. :)
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I may play around with the quinoa recipe posted, since we are having grilled chicken as the main dish.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I like a cucumber, vidalia sweet onion, bellpepper(yellow, red, & green), diced tomato, real bacon bits, feta cheese, and greek vinaigrette salad. Yum!

This would be my preference, minus the cheese. I love feta, but it's going to be hot here this weekend. And I might add some corn. Not very Greek, but it would go well with grilled chicken.

Have a great time at the party.