What do you do from snacking over your calories?

Options
After dinner when my husband and I are watching tv is when I start the "I'm bored munchies" I'm not hungry but I just want to eat.
So the past few weeks that I've gotten serious about making a healthier lifestyle I've found little cheats that have kept me from this terrible habit.

Brushing my teeth right after dinner usually wards it off pretty good.

Sipping on a glass of ice water as well helps, keeps my hands and mouth busy haha.

So I was curious as to what others did to avoid eating over your calories at night with pointless snacking

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I try and plan to allow some wiggle room for snacks after dinner. I avoid snacking on all the sweets in the office by promising myself some treats after dinner (should I have spare calories & actually want the treats).

If I do want a treat [and have spare cals], I have pre-portioned baggies of my favourite treats. I found liquorice is perfect for me. It's sweet but has a little saltiness so it ticks most of the cravings. I log it first THEN eat it.

Once i'm done eating for the night (with or without treats), i'll do the brushing teeth thing too PLUS mouthwash. I've found the sharp taste of mouthwash kinda kills all cravings.

Making sure i've had enough water works well too.
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that having a cup of hot tea helps. Depending on the kind I'm in the mood for, sometimes I will sweeten it with stevia and put a bit of almond milk in it. It takes me a while to drink it and fills me up.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I allot 150-250 cals for an 8pm snack. I am almost always hungry at that time regardless of what I'm doing. Then I have greek yougurt, ice cream, cookies, or whatever I'm feeling like.

Then I brush my teeth.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of hot tea or chew a piece of gum if I haven't left calories for a snack. My fav after dinner/watching TV snack is frozen blueberries!!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I was just realizing the other day that this is one of the biggest changes in my life since I started using MFP last year. I didn't start with the intention of foregoing evening snacking, but it naturally happened when I started to log every single thing that went in my mouth because it didn't take long to realize it was easy to eat a whole meal's worth of calories as an after dinner "snack". So easy! Um, no thanks. I want to eat more food during the day! I still eat plenty of snacks, but almost never "just because I'm in front of the TV and it's that time" anymore. My husband stopped snacking as well and without changing anything else I know he's lost about 10 lbs. too.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn, ice cream, frozen yogurt (sometimes two of these things) every night. I pre-log it in the morning and make sure my daytime snacks allow for it. I prefer to eat at night.
  • missmatalini
    missmatalini Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually allow for extra calories at night depending on what I want for dinner.

I more so meant for when you aren't hungry and there is no point in snacking yet you want to anyway. Therefore - pointless
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I have one of those dog collars with the shocker on it, tied to my refrigerator. Opening the refrigerator door after 9 pm delivers a zap. Effective.
  • kami3006
    Options
    My hudband is pretty keen to provide a distraction. ;)

But yeah occupying your mind with other stuff helps. And like you said brushing your teeth. It's a habit you'll come to break.
  • kami3006
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I have one of those dog collars with the shocker on it, tied to my refrigerator. Opening the refrigerator door after 9 pm delivers a zap. Effective.

Ha. That'll condition you.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    one of my rules....kitchen is closed 2 hrs before I go to bed. Today I made cookies (I have a teen that could use more weight on him)...so I had him put them in the container. They're not for me. Think of it this way, the less you snack at night, the better hungry you will be to start the next day off with a great breakfast!