Suggestions for bbq sauce substitutions??

Options
K....so I grill out a lot of chicken and LOVE to use my fave bbq sauce...only thing is it's high in carbs and loaded with sugar. Anybody have any suggestions of anything else or homemade bbq sauce perhaps that is lower in sugar but still not bland or sacrificing flavor??

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bump. Would like to hear suggestions on this too!
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Tomato paste, liquid smoke, and agave nectar to taste. The agave adds some sweet and calories, but it's sweeter tasting than sugar, and you shouldn't need much. Water to reach consistency desired. Mix in garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, etc. as it tickles your fancy.

The carbohydrate in agave nectar is reputed to have a low glycemic index, which provides sweetness without the blood sugar spike that most sweeteners cause. While crude agave sap does contain a few minerals and a small amount of fiber, most of these benefits are lost in the refining process. So if you look at product labels for agave syrup on store shelves, you will not see any vitamin or mineral content listed.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295212-nutritional-value-of-agave-nectar/#ixzz1NZfXMbmL
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I would just use steak sauce... low in calories, pretty low in carbs, and not too bad in sugar. Plus I like the way it tastes! :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes a lower sugar version of BBQ sauce that is good. We use is sparingly when we grill out and it's good. We also use a dallop of honey (1/8 cup per serving). Honey goes a long way when grilling and tastes amazing.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Personally I like spice. Sometimes hot sometimes just light. I'll do a pepper sauce instead. It has no added sugar like BBQ and can add a lot of flavor.

Like this one:Mild;
    1 Green Papaya, Peeled, Seeded and Roughly Chopped
    10 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Seeded
    2 Onions, Quartered
    3 Cloves Garlic
    Rind of One Lime
    1/2 c Lime Juice
    1 1/2 c Malt Vinegar
    1 t Salt
    1/4 c Prepared Yellow Mustard

Puree the papaya, Scotch Bonnet peppers, onions, garlic, lime rind, and lime juice in a food processor. Transfer to a medium saucepan and stir in the vinegar, salt and mustard. Simmer the mixture over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bottle the sauce in hot sterilized jars.

Or this:Hot:
    1/2 medium-sized banana, sliced
    1 1/2 large carrots, diced small
    1 medium TX 1015 onion*, diced small
    5 fresh picked orange habaneros, diced
    10 fresh picked piquins, diced
    5 fresh picked (smallish) cayennes, diced
    1/2 fresh picked small green bell pepper, diced small
    1 fresh picked hot banana pepper, diced
    2 scallions (greens & all), sliced
    5 small cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. (approx.) Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp. Coleman's dry mustard
    Water for blending only (not too much, approx. 1/2 cup)
    1 Tbsp. (or less) Peanut oil

Saute onions and habs in small amount of peanut oil in non-stick pan till softened and dark brown in spots (try not to cough) and set aside.

Put all other ingredients (except salt, pepper and mustard) in a blender and blend until it forms a slightly chunky puree (you want to have small bits of identifiable color left and some texture). Remove all except approx. 1/2 cup of this chunky puree to a separate bowl and set aside.

Pour the sauteed onions and habs in the blender with the 1/2 cup puree and blend until smooth.

Pour the reserved chunky puree into the same skillet used to saute the onions and habs (the clean up crew will appreciate this), add the smooth puree along with the salt, pepper, and mustard and reduce over low heat, simmering for approx. 10 minutes until desired thickness

I like to make everything myself. You are in more control that way. For hotness it's mostly about the seeds. If you want mild sauce get rid of the pepper seeds.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I would love to know this...can you make your own BBQ sauce? I would like to, but I'm afraid I wont like it!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    BUMP! I would love to know this...can you make your own BBQ sauce? I would like to, but I'm afraid I wont like it!

my boss would make some for me sometimes when I forgot mine at home....it has white cider vinegar and ketchup and brown sugar....I think. It was really good but I'm not sure the exact make up and not sure how much sugar since I'm looking for something lower sugar/ carb.

It was REALLY good tho! :wink:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I like to make everything myself. You are in more control that way. For hotness it's mostly about the seeds. If you want mild sauce get rid of the pepper seeds.
    Great recipes. Thanks for sharing!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Personally I like spice. Sometimes hot sometimes just light. I'll do a pepper sauce instead. It has no added sugar like BBQ and can add a lot of flavor.

Like this one:Mild;
    1 Green Papaya, Peeled, Seeded and Roughly Chopped
    10 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Seeded
    2 Onions, Quartered
    3 Cloves Garlic
    Rind of One Lime
    1/2 c Lime Juice
    1 1/2 c Malt Vinegar
    1 t Salt
    1/4 c Prepared Yellow Mustard

Puree the papaya, Scotch Bonnet peppers, onions, garlic, lime rind, and lime juice in a food processor. Transfer to a medium saucepan and stir in the vinegar, salt and mustard. Simmer the mixture over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bottle the sauce in hot sterilized jars.

Or this:Hot:
    1/2 medium-sized banana, sliced
    1 1/2 large carrots, diced small
    1 medium TX 1015 onion*, diced small
    5 fresh picked orange habaneros, diced
    10 fresh picked piquins, diced
    5 fresh picked (smallish) cayennes, diced
    1/2 fresh picked small green bell pepper, diced small
    1 fresh picked hot banana pepper, diced
    2 scallions (greens & all), sliced
    5 small cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. (approx.) Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp. Coleman's dry mustard
    Water for blending only (not too much, approx. 1/2 cup)
    1 Tbsp. (or less) Peanut oil

Saute onions and habs in small amount of peanut oil in non-stick pan till softened and dark brown in spots (try not to cough) and set aside.

Put all other ingredients (except salt, pepper and mustard) in a blender and blend until it forms a slightly chunky puree (you want to have small bits of identifiable color left and some texture). Remove all except approx. 1/2 cup of this chunky puree to a separate bowl and set aside.

Pour the sauteed onions and habs in the blender with the 1/2 cup puree and blend until smooth.

Pour the reserved chunky puree into the same skillet used to saute the onions and habs (the clean up crew will appreciate this), add the smooth puree along with the salt, pepper, and mustard and reduce over low heat, simmering for approx. 10 minutes until desired thickness

Impressive!! I like it hot, too. Added benefit of spicy...it makes me drink more water. I will be trying these.
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I started using a marinade/sauce that's not the same flavor as bbq sauce, but it's still good. I mix a 16 oz jar of salsa, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp of white vinegar, 1 tbsp of liquid smoke, 1/3 cup of olive oil and a pinch of cayenne in the blender. It's tons of flavor, low in sodium, and works as a salad dressing or marinade too.

I marinade chicken breasts in it, then add more once they are cooked to keep the chicken from drying out.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Okay, I MEANT to say that I like it hot, too! An added benefit of spicy is that it makes you drink more water. : ) I will be trying your pepper sauce recipes.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Yes you can. It's mostly the sugar and molasses that sends the BBQ to your waist line though.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 Tomato Sauce
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon cayenne
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I started using a marinade/sauce that's not the same flavor as bbq sauce, but it's still good. I mix a 16 oz jar of salsa, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp of white vinegar, 1 tbsp of liquid smoke, 1/3 cup of olive oil and a pinch of cayenne in the blender. It's tons of flavor, low in sodium, and works as a salad dressing or marinade too.

I marinade chicken breasts in it, then add more once they are cooked to keep the chicken from drying out.

this sounds really yummy!

I like MrBrown72's stuff too but seems time consuming and with a ton of ingredients!