What should I do first, cardio or weights?

Options
mgreen10
mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
Considering I do 30 minutes of each?

Replies

• ruenectar
    ruenectar Posts: 25
    Options
    It matters not where you start, but that you so.
    If you are looking to tone, do more light weights longer than heavy and incorporate into your cardio. If you are looking to gain muscle, do more heavy lifting.

All said, cardio is needed no matter which way you go :)

Hope that helps!
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    I burn more calories if I do the cardio first, that gets my heartrate up and it stays higher during the lifting :)
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first because I feel looser when I lift. And I have a good sweat on too. Have no idea if it's better, but I like it.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Considering I do 30 minutes of each?

From what I have researched, circuit training is the best and fastest ways to burn fat. Which is combining cardio and strength.

You could try a circuit training workout video. I personally love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I do weights first so that I don't sweat all over the weight equipment and to give my muscles a chance to warm up before cardio.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    my trainer told me you are to warm up 5 mins and then do weights and then do your cardio.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Actually I've read that you should definitely do the weights first....you'll burn your body's store of glucose and then during cardio your body will be forced to burn ALL FAT.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my cardio before weights and then I make sure to do some afterwards as well. I read somewhere that you are still burning some calories after lifting so I take advantage of that by getting back on the treadmill/bike/elliptical (whichever I'm using that day). Also, its good to do some time of cardio, even if its a slow walk, after weight lifting to get rid of the lactic acid in your muscles.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do the cardio first because weights don't burn as many calories as cardio while you're doing it, but after doing it, your body burns more calories for a longer period of time. So you'll want the weights to be the last thing you do so you burn extra calories for more time.
  • brogers31
    brogers31 Posts: 4
    Options
    I start with about 10 minutes of cardio, then do weights and back for another 20-30 minutes of cardio. My personal trainer said a little cardio to start is a good way to get warmed up.
  • onurcoskun
    onurcoskun Posts: 2
    Options
    Both :)

Start with cardio, for around 10 minutes but do not push hard. This is just to warm up.

Stretch after warm up, this will prevent over straining your muscles. Actually stretching is the most important and most ignored part of your work out.

Do your weight lifting, whatever your program is, strength, toning, etc.

Stretch again, lightly.

Go back to your cardio. Your body is already warm and is ready for aerobic process, will start burning fat more effectively. It will also help your blood circulate faster and feed the muscles which needs nutrition and oxygen. You will will less pain the next day.

Stretch again.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Both :)

Start with cardio, for around 10 minutes but do not push hard. This is just to warm up.

Stretch after warm up, this will prevent over straining your muscles. Actually stretching is the most important and most ignored part of your work out.

Do your weight lifting, whatever your program is, strength, toning, etc.

Stretch again, lightly.

Go back to your cardio. Your body is already warm and is ready for aerobic process, will start burning fat more effectively. It will also help your blood circulate faster and feed the muscles which needs nutrition and oxygen. You will will less pain the next day.

Stretch again.

I did a bit of research into it a few days ago and this seems to be what came out tops for fat burn :)