What are the most frustrating obstacles when it comes to your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• bere721
    bere721 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    But just in case this isn't a trolling situation, I'll answer the question...
    The biggest battle is with myself. Always has been and always will be.

I agree. We are our own obstacles. Changing habits and thinking is very hard.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yea, sometimes friends and family say that which does kind of sting , But they're overall good peoples. Sometimes I see people telling others they're lazy on discussion boards. I find that diverting my attention towards useful advice and ignoring the demeaning ones very helpful.

Is it your intention to stir the proverbial pot with this post?
    @ barbecuesauce- I don't understand your statement, please clarify if you'd like
    @shell1005- i don't shame my self anymore as that name was chosen about 2 years ago. But my response to you is, it takes one to know one. Just wanted to get some insight on people's common weight loss obstacles.

And this one?

Definitely not trying to stir any controversy. After reviewing that post, I see where you're coming from, and I admit I could have worded my response better. What I mean is that friends/family/posters in general who say demeaning advice such "you're fat, stop being lazy and exercise," is the type of advice I divert my attention away from. I didn't want to give the impression that I was demeaning WBB55's post, and if it did, my bad.

As far as the second post, I just didn't find the response constructive. My intention here is to see what kind of physical, emotional, or psychological barriers people have come across in their weight loss journey, not to get my name picked apart. I've worked before as a mental health counselor and have led group therapies. I have found that when people voice similar obstacles, they don't feel so alone. I hope that addresses everything!
  • MynameisChester
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It takes one to know one? really?

I lol'd a bit, but at the same time, it's refreshing to see posters who aren't so keen on the art of insult.

OP I've seen many people with names that reflect dissatisfaction with their weight as a motivator - not sure why people jumped on it, as you're far from the only one. (If you did happen to want to change your handle, you can do that one time, I think.)

Thanks tomatoey! I'll keep my name, though. Let's just say it was character building for me=)
  • MynameisChester
    Options
    Getting my mind to catch up with my loss. Still see an obese person in the mirror....

This can be a HUGE mental shift when it comes to this line of thinking. A lot of people feel the same way you do. Here's a thread that may hopefully help!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056070/do-you-still-see-a-fat-person-in-the-mirror/p1
  • BradyMcIvor
    BradyMcIvor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat out of boredom so my food has usually been a problem at night, but I just eat a pomegranate now and that keeps me busy for a couple hours lol- highly recommended for people who eat out of boredom...
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think for me its me I can decide what I put in my body what advice I listen to what mood I'm in etc when I decided to be motivated positive and that I deserved to be the best me I worked my butt off. When I chose to be negative accept I will always be fat the failure occurred. I failed 3 times then chose to be successful I am my best friend or worst enemy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat out of boredom so my food has usually been a problem at night, but I just eat a pomegranate now and that keeps me busy for a couple hours lol- highly recommended for people who eat out of boredom...

You should never google handy tips to getting the seeds out of pomegranate

Nor should you ever google Nigella Lawson pomegranate ice cream

*slaver*
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Getting my mind to catch up with my loss. Still see an obese person in the mirror....

This can be a HUGE mental shift when it comes to this line of thinking. A lot of people feel the same way you do. Here's a thread that may hopefully help!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056070/do-you-still-see-a-fat-person-in-the-mirror/p1

Thank you!!! :)

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! :)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The biggest obstacle for me has been staying consistent with exercise. I have health issues that keep resurfacing preventing me from exercising for a while, but the problem is that when I can exercise I'm usually less motivated to do so. Forming a habit is hard when you are constantly forced to take a clean (sometimes long) break every now and then.
  • vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i'd have to agree with a few other's ...my biggest obsticle is myself...i am type 2 diabetic and i was just recently diagnosed with it...so fighting the urges to not eat junk food, learning about carbs, protein, calories is one big frustration. my weight fluxuates and my motivation does as well. i am using this app to help me pay attention to calories and i have been exercising but i have decided to get weight loss surgery. this is all for health reasons and not for looks.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Impatience..I don't consider that it took 10 years to put on my extra hundo, and then I get frustrated when, last week for example, i lose only a pound or so, compared to the 2 or 3 I hope for.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've been at this 2.5 years, and I still want to eat all the things, all the time. Sigh.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The fact that they have not yet developed a low-calorie pad thai that tastes even halfway decent.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That the body goes after muscle when there's fat to burn.
  • Fulcherj1
    Fulcherj1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think that my biggest obstacle has been staying consistently motivated. I always am very passionate about getting healthy for a little while and then I seem to burnout or move on to something else to focus on.

I also really struggled with understanding how to eat for maintenance the last time I lost weight - hence why I am here trying to lose it all over again! I had been lifting weights and looked and felt fabulous and knew that my bmr was pretty high so I just stopped paying attention to what I ate and told myself that I could eat junk again. Not true!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    @ barbecuesauce- I don't understand your statement, please clarify if you'd like
    @shell1005- i don't shame my self anymore as that name was chosen about 2 years ago. But my response to you is, it takes one to know one. Just wanted to get some insight on people's common weight loss obstacles.

It takes one to know one?

P.S. It takes 2 seconds to change your name. When people pick shaming names it is usually pretty telling. That was my point.

Or should my answer be I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I. I don't remember the rules from grade school.
    "I'm rubber and you're glue..."