Need help eye-balling calories in Fish N Chips

Options
dmest
dmest Posts: 98 Member
Hello everyone,

My husband and I have plans to go to a traditional British pub this weekend and I want to have Fish N Chips. In trying to look up the calories, they seem to be all over the place. I'm wondering if some of you could give me an estimate on how many calories would be in the meal at this url:

http://www.shakespearepub.com/image/menu_pic0.jpg

We plan to share the meal, so I know that will help but I expect even half the plate will have a lot of calories that I need to plan for. My guess is that the whole plate it has between 1200 - 1400 calories. What do you think?

I only need to calculations for the food, not the Guiness.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'd say at least 1500.
    Just exercise for an hour beforehand ;-)
    Bon appetit!

:drinker:
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I did a search on the database and it had fish and chips as 450, but that's just crazy, so i did a search on chip shop and it gave a load of stuff, as you're sharing if in doubt take the highest cal number for each item of food, add them together and divide by 2, might be a bit higher than you actually eat but best way
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Your estimates are probably very close (I like to indulge in a good old fish and chips from time to time):happy: :happy: :happy:

Last time I had a fish and chips like that it was 1350 cals (But I shared it too) Use the upper end of your estimate and you'll be fine. Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Id have the salad and remember afterwards how glad you were that you made a healthy choice :P

nah - seriously - just log a high one and remember to eat less throughout the week because of it :)
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My A-Z of calories gives Haddock in Batter (380), average chips (550) and mushy peas (150), totalling 1080 if eating the meal on your own from a chippy.

Harvester's fish, chips & peas is 1042.

Enjoy your meal as a treat, then get back on the healthy stuff. :drinker:
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I get F&C from the local chippy I would put it down 600-700 cals as he uses a really light batter, but alot of resturants tend to go for the thick sort which this looks like so probely will be closer to 1000 cals. Enjoy it though as its not something you have all the time :happy:
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. This is a really rare treat for me as we never go out and I haven't been to this pub in over a year. I thought 450 seemed way too low too. I'll estimate it at around 750 calories. I appreciate the input!