2009 Challenge: Run Every Day

Options
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Today's a great day to set new goals. I'm sticking my neck out on this one, but what the heck... I'm going to run every day for a year. Minimum time, 20 minutes. Surely I can fit that much exercise in!

Today I ran 45 minutes. It felt great!

Replies

• rolfdenver
    rolfdenver Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Today's a great day to set new goals. I'm sticking my neck out on this one, but what the heck... I'm going to run every day for a year. Minimum time, 20 minutes. Surely I can fit that much exercise in!

Today I ran 45 minutes. It felt great!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to you also! I am a runner, but found my body responds best (and doesn't get injured as quickly!) to running 3 days a week and strength and cross training on other days. I'm going to be doing a half marathon in May and a sprint triathlon in June!

But good luck to you!! Are you training for any races or just running for fun? Feel free to join the MFP Runners club under the Fitness threads!!

Jess

P.S. I ran 5 miles this morning, felt great!
  • ejy5002
    Options
    I would agree. Maybe give yourself 5 days a week. I used to be a big athlete in high school and ran and lifted everyday, but shin splints became a major problem as I got a big older (only 21 now). Running everyday for a year will most likely lead to shin splints. I would either say something like "5 days a week" or "300 days this year." That would give you some time off. If you can do every day though, that would be great! Good luck!
  • ejy5002
    Options
    I would agree. Maybe give yourself 5 days a week. I used to be a big athlete in high school and ran and lifted everyday, but shin splints became a major problem as I got a big older (only 21 now). Running everyday for a year will most likely lead to shin splints. I would either say something like "5 days a week" or "300 days this year." That would give you some time off. If you can do every day though, that would be great! Good luck!
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    i say go for it! i finished two marathons, 2 10 milers and 3 half marathons (and a few 5Ks) in 15 months. i did take a rest day every week but otherwise ran everyday. i think i could have eeked out a slow 20 minute run on my "off" day. best of luck to you.................but try to throw in a little cross training in conjunction!!
  • rolfdenver
    rolfdenver Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess and best wishes with your running goals for this year! I ran a half-marathon last year without training enough, and man oh man did I pay for my sins with the worst cramps ever! I want to get back to doing a half this year without such pain afterwards...

To answer your and other posts, I totally agree that people should not train hard day after day: three to five days, maybe six at most, is good for training. But what I'd like to do is just GET OUT every day for a minimum of 20 minutes. Some of those days will be extremely relaxed, for sure!

I'm actually going to do a good amount of cross training. I'm fond of the Beachbody training DVDs by Tony Horton: P90X, P90 Masters, P90X+ and good old P90. I want to finish a 90-day round of P90X early this year.

I've just joined this fitness community and what a great resource it is! I hope it helps keep me motivated... Thanks to all and best wishes for the new year! - Rolf
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Rolf! I am a huge fan of Tony also. LOVE P90X, it's my favorite! I have finished 1 full marathon and 2 half marathons and really gotten into triathlons last year. It's such great cross training and I really love biking now! (swimming, well, I'm still working on loving that! :ohwell: ).

This is a terrific site, glad you joined in!

Jess
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My old knees would NOT like me if I tried to do that!! They need a couple days of rest during the week!!