Cardio

Options
DCSKULL
DCSKULL Posts: 15 Member
I do cardio for 45 minutes a day 4 days a week and in evening and the other three days I do area specific excerises for at least 45 minutes. I have been doing this for 8 months and I have see great improvment in my muscle tone and my doctor said that I am in good shape. I am not sure if it is excessive if I was to increase to more of each everyday or if I should remain the same.

Replies

• BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you're still seeing good progress then stick with what you're doing. When progress slows or stops then I'd look at adding more exercise or experimenting with diet manipulation to get further results. It's not too much though.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It's only excessive if you think so, are you drained after? I do 60 mins of cardio 5 days a week, keeping my heart rate at 80 to 90% it used to take me 6 mph to maintain it, now sometimes it takes 8 to 9 mph to maintain it. I've gotten my heart rate above 90% for 30 mins just to see if I could do it, wasn't tired or winded afterward. I started using this guide 2.5 years ago and moved up from there.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Not excessive at all. In a lower-activity week I may put in 6 hours of cardio (just counting running); in a high activity running week I'll chew up 12 hours or more.

Just pay attention to your body; feed it well and listen when it is telling you to rest.
  • DCSKULL
    Options
    Thank you so much. This makes me feel a lot better.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its fine, although I tend to have one day off to rst completely. 45 min sessions arent that long though and for it to have a lasting impact then it would need to be reasonably intense. listen to your body and see how it goes.
  • DCSKULL
    Options
    I do 45 minutes twice a day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Intensity is not about how long or often its about how hard you go at it. If you feel fine, then carry on. For some cardio might be walking but for others it could be hiit training, the latter is a lot more intense and takes more time to recover from steady walking. If you listen to your body as you increase your exercise, then you will know if anything starts to feel wrong. Id say you have lots of scope for increase if you so wish.
  • DCSKULL
    Options
    Thank you.