What the heck id zumba

Options
i looked it up, so don't call be stupid for not using the internet.
Plus, what are your experiences with it?
I have no idea what it is, and my cousin is. Taking me tonight :P

Btw I ment to say what the heck IS zumba.. Stupid typo :(

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Zumba is basically Latin inspired dance used for exercise.

It's fun.

Dress to move and wear good shoes, bring water. :happy:
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's latin dance and aerobics! It's AMAZING!!!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    It's a dance work out, really good for people who don't like working out in the old fashioned sense.
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! You'll LOVE it!
  • joeyjoey86
    joeyjoey86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zumba is amazing!! The classes can be quite fast paced, but if u get a good instructor then it is great fun.
    I'm sure everyone will describe it differently, but the way i would describe it is "dance aerobics"
    Combinations of salsa, merengue (possibly the wrong spelling lol) rumba, reggaeton and lots more.
    I've just bought a Zumba workout for the nintendo Wii and it's brilliant. Good luck with your first class, and i hope u have loads of fun =)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's a workout based around dance. It's kind of hard to explain. But you basically, "dance" to a song, then the song stops, a new song comes on and you dance to that.

When I say dance, it is generally only a few moves that are repeated, so you learn it by the end of the song. There is a lot of focus on abs (a lot of hip thrusts). It really depends on your instructor though. I have been to two different instructors and it was totally different. One is much more dancy, the other is much more workouty. They both used some of the same basic moves, but we did a lot of squats and lunges in the workout one. Whereas the dance one does more flowing arm movements and hip shaking...

Instructors are all different, because they each make up their own routines. They get basically an 8 hour training and then they get new songs and dances periodically, but are allowed to use their own songs and moves. So, it all depends on the instructor.
  • graciehart1
    Options
    Zumba is awesome. It's a latin inspired dance workout. Classes are usually an hour and you can burn an average of 300-600 calories per class. While every instructor uses different songs and choreography, the styles are usually pretty similar. It can be hard to pick up at first, but it you keep going back you'll eventually learn the steps.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's a hell of a workout..
    I loved it, but one class was enough to let me know that I really need to up my endurance to keep up. It's super fun and goes by really fast and the dances are fun & somewhat easy to learn.. have fun!!!
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I've checked around town, and we don't have any dance classes besides ballet, jazz and hiphop, but we just got Kinect for the xbox, and zumba is one of the fitness choices I have for games for it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, everything said on here. It's so much FUN. I've been doing it for an hour a day for almost 6 mo and it's the first workout I've tried (and I've tried plenty) where I'm not thinking "OMG I can't beleive I have xx minutes left". And the pounds just fall off. I do eat healthy but I also drink wine nearly everyday and I'm still losing steadily and I know it's thanks to Zumba.
  • reesy30
    reesy30 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was wondering if Zumba actually works! I've read mixed reviews, but I saw the infomercial and it looks like fun! I get so frustrated with working out so I always end up giving up, and I've been struggling with my weight basically all my life. I'm only 21 and I can't stand the thought of being overweight for much longer so I need to find something I can stick with that's going to get rid of the nasty fat that's been building up for years! I'm VERY uncoordinated, so I don't want to not be able to get it right and get frustrated because of that too. Any suggestions?
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD, I LOVE ZUMBA! Its sooooo much fun and a fan-friggin-tastic workout at the same time! Everyone is right-it can be different depending on the instructor, but there are 3 different instructors at my local Y and they are all good....almost the same moves, but different songs. :) The repeat frequently and by the end of the song, you have picked it up. When I first took it, I was nervous because I am a shy person when it comes to shakin' my stuff, but there are people there at every level We have young fit women all the way to senior citizens and even have a guy who jumps around and looks like an *kitten* that we all laugh at, but its all great fun!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if Zumba actually works! I've read mixed reviews, but I saw the infomercial and it looks like fun! I get so frustrated with working out so I always end up giving up, and I've been struggling with my weight basically all my life. I'm only 21 and I can't stand the thought of being overweight for much longer so I need to find something I can stick with that's going to get rid of the nasty fat that's been building up for years! I'm VERY uncoordinated, so I don't want to not be able to get it right and get frustrated because of that too. Any suggestions?

I'm very uncoordinated too which is one of the reasons that I use the DVDs in the privacy of my home rather than takes classes. But my daughter takes the classes and is constantly telling me that it's not a problem. Some can do it really well, and some are just flailing around. But they are all "workin' it" (as she puts it) and having fun.
  • tinamwilson
    tinamwilson Posts: 32
    Options
    If you're going to an instructor taught class you are going to have a BLAST! I go twice a week and it is awesome!!! You can burn 600-1000 cals per hour and have so much fun you won't believe it's exercise.

If you decide you like it I recommend investing in some dance sneakers so you don't injure your knees. I bought Nike Musique's for under $50. on line.

I have tried the DVD's and I love the instructor "live" version so much better- the high energy of a class full of people is really fun.
    ENJOY!!! :bigsmile:
  • awelch79
    Options
    I forgot to add that I saw the most change in my core when I started adding Zumba and Pilates to my classes....I cant be sure which was more effective, but as a previous poster said, it is a lot of ab work in Zumba moves...
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I've checked around town, and we don't have any dance classes besides ballet, jazz and hiphop, but we just got Kinect for the xbox, and zumba is one of the fitness choices I have for games for it.
    i have zumba for the kinect. it is great fun. i do it everyday and love it. hope you enjoy it. its nice to see someone else using kinect as there doesnt seem to be many people on here who use the kinect for work outs.
  • Slackerchick
    Slackerchick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love love love Zumba!!! It is the hardest I've ever worked out EVER! I've taken other classes and nothing comes close to Zumba! It's soooo much fun and I've clocked 872 calories burned in the hour one of my classmates has burned 1300! We have also added 1 pound hand weights summer is closer than I want to thing about LOL Needless to say you don't have to work that hard but you can! Please post how you like it. Good luck and OH.... make sure you drink a ton of water 2 hours before during and after you're gonna sweat like crazy! HAVE FUN!!!
  • jansenior
    jansenior Posts: 2
    Options
    I love love love zumba too and it really doesnt matter if you are unfit, uncoordinated, young, old, whatever !!!
    Give it a go - if you dont like it you dont have to go again but chances are you will love it and want to go again!
    I am doing three classes a week and am by no means thin or fit but I love it - actually look forward to the nights I go to class
    Can see a difference in my shape too

Give it a go and have fun - join the party !!!
  • awelch79
    Options
    Sooooo....Im dying to know...did you LOVE it?
  • Gillott232
    Gillott232 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

It does actually work. I started Zumba when I was 5 week PP with my daughter. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks... Almost too much too fast, but I was also breastfeeding so that helped bring alot off too at the same time, it was almost calorie burning overload on my body. ANYWAYS I've maintained my weight but I've toned alot of my body. I do Zumba several times a week (some in class, some at home) and I am a Licensed Zumba Instructor now. My favorite part is its just FUN. I have never stuck to a workout plan of any sort before starting Zumba. The people there are nice and motivating as well. I've met alot of great friends too. Definately worth trying a few times to see if you like it. I recommend you stick with it a minimum of 3-4 weeks as the first several classes are spent just trying to figure out how it goes and how the steps are done and then once you get that taken care of and are over the "I can't dance" mentality you really start working yourself harder.

Highly recommend it needless to say, I have the PS3 Game and I also have the DVD's but I still prefer the classes over the games/videos.

Hope you decide to try it and have fun!!