Help

Options
so usually I walk for 60 minutes at a 7.0 incline at 3.5 mph.. I burn about 620 calories. My doctor told me that's bad and I need to alternate every 10 minutes to fluctuate my heart rate. Is this true? I feel like lowering the incline would lower the amount of calories I I would burn

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No. Your doctor doesn't know much by the sound of it; unless you have some heart condition which deters you from raising your heart rate* then I don't see what's bad about it.
  • aysonj24
    aysonj24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try intervals if you want to burn that amount of calories in a span of 30 min instead of 60. Try walking incline for 5mins the increase speed to jog for 3 min and then back again to walking. Repeat steps. You will burn calories and fat faster
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You're just doing steady state cardio. Can't imagine why a doctor would say that's bad.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    so usually I walk for 60 minutes at a 7.0 incline at 3.5 mph.. I burn about 620 calories. My doctor told me that's bad and I need to alternate every 10 minutes to fluctuate my heart rate.

Steady state cardio is one of the main training tools of distance endurance runners / endurance athletes period. I very specifically run at a heart rate level +/- only a few beats, whether on the flats or in the mountains.

In this respect, it is sad to say, your doctor does not know what she/he is talking about. If your doctor can't tell you specifically why "that's bad", you have your answer - you can safely ignore that piece of advice.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Did he elaborate on why it was bad or what the goal was in asking you to change what you're doing? If not, ask him. You have a right to know why he's asking you to do anything and what you should expect out of it.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I once had a doctor tell me that I did too many sit ups, my stomach was too flat, and that what was causing the radiating pain in my stomach. Yeah, turned out I had acute pancreatitis. Not too many of those dangerous sit ups I was doing...