Have I hit the plateau?

Options
Hi guys how are you?
Thanks for your time and reading this post.

Im 5.3 ft 26 yr old female. and I weighed 101 kilos at the start of May, 2015. Till the end of May 2015 I just ate the regular 1200 cals + no exercise ( i weigh each and every ingredient of my meal) and i got down to 96 kilos (Might have been water weight) . After that I upped my intake to 1400- 1600 and started working out 4-6 days a week, mostly dvd workout. Since June 1, I am juggling between 96 and 95 kilos of weight. Now It seems like i have hit a plateau, but so soon? I mean i still have loads to lose, is it okay? Also, since june 19 its the month of ramadan and I am fasting but i try and eat 1400 cals in usually 3 meals. Also, reading through web i found out that my body may be retaining water since its really hot here and i do exercise during fast, so i tried losing this water weight by consuming more than 2 litres of my usual intake. But I still dint see any loss weight wise. Any ideas? and any tips on breaking plateaus and what worked for you? I do take measurements monthly and per measurements i have lost around 10 inches overall till 21 June.

Thanks alot for you time guys

Replies

• KhanChristina
    KhanChristina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Salaams Sister! How's it going? I am continuing to lose, only at a slower pace. Last 30 days (including the last 2 weeks fasting) lost 6 lbs and 4 inches. In the previous 30 days (fasting only 2 days/week) I lost 11# and 9 inches. You can do it! Keep it up. Ramadan will be over before we event realize:)

I hope you broke through the plateau!. I know they are super frustrating!
  • niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hitting a plateau is actually quite normal early on, I hit plateaus quite often and during the first few months of my weight loss journey I did hit one where I was like "Yes! I will lose so much weight these next few months!" Then gained and stalled for ages, haha, it's happening now actually, I'm only just starting to lose weight again and I'm about to start my period :| Just change things up, like how much you eat, even eating more will help you shed the weight, it worked for me when I stopped going to the gym and upped my intake, I lost so many pounds in like a month. Changing exercise routines help a lot as well, if you keep doing the same things your body will adjust and stop changing. Don't worry, you will lose again! :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    niajones95 wrote: »
    Hitting a plateau is actually quite normal early on, I hit plateaus quite often and during the first few months of my weight loss journey I did hit one where I was like "Yes! I will lose so much weight these next few months!" Then gained and stalled for ages, haha, it's happening now actually, I'm only just starting to lose weight again and I'm about to start my period :| Just change things up, like how much you eat, even eating more will help you shed the weight, it worked for me when I stopped going to the gym and upped my intake, I lost so many pounds in like a month. Changing exercise routines help a lot as well, if you keep doing the same things your body will adjust and stop changing. Don't worry, you will lose again! :)

There is just so much wrong with this post that it needs to go away.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hi guys how are you?
    Thanks for your time and reading this post.

Im 5.3 ft 26 yr old female. and I weighed 101 kilos at the start of May, 2015. Till the end of May 2015 I just ate the regular 1200 cals + no exercise ( i weigh each and every ingredient of my meal) and i got down to 96 kilos (Might have been water weight) . After that I upped my intake to 1400- 1600 and started working out 4-6 days a week, mostly dvd workout. Since June 1, I am juggling between 96 and 95 kilos of weight. Now It seems like i have hit a plateau, but so soon? I mean i still have loads to lose, is it okay? Also, since june 19 its the month of ramadan and I am fasting but i try and eat 1400 cals in usually 3 meals. Also, reading through web i found out that my body may be retaining water since its really hot here and i do exercise during fast, so i tried losing this water weight by consuming more than 2 litres of my usual intake. But I still dint see any loss weight wise. Any ideas? and any tips on breaking plateaus and what worked for you? I do take measurements monthly and per measurements i have lost around 10 inches overall till 21 June.

Thanks alot for you time guys

1. Plateaus are normally viewed as no weight loss for 6-8 weeks+. Weight loss inst linear so you cant expect it to go down every week. Some weeks it will not move.
    2. You have lost 5 kg or 11lbs in 2 months so c 5lbs a month, which is good going and respectable. Well done.
    3. So you havent lost for a month, this might indicate that you are simply ay maintenance becayse you are eating more thna you think or burning less or both.
    4. You say you are losing inches which si better imo and more important.
    5. The solution is either to eat less or burn more or a combination. If you are doing 1400 calories, then at your stats you are already at a deficit of over 500 cals. I get your maint to be c 2000. That would indicate your calorie counting is inaccurate and you are eating more thna you realise.
    6. Please weigh with a scale and read the following thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    7. If your counting is accurate then you have to look at your exercise burns and how much you are eating back.

Be patient, re-establish and check the accuracy of your deficit and you will start to lose again with a bit of patience, It normally sorts out the vast majority of the people with this issue.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 8-10 weeks. You've but stalled, be patient.