Zumba...I will miss you...

Options
msmindyf
msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
I have been attending Zumba religiously 5 days a week since about February. I have now hit a standstill in my weight and I don't burn the calories I used to burn in this class. Most days it's under 500 cals.

Have any of you experienced this?

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I know my burns are going down (though I don't do Zumba; I do the elliptical), but it's a good thing!! The less you weigh, the slower you burn the calories. I can hardly wait to get to where I'm burning less!

:)
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think this does tend to happen, especially when your body starts getting used to it. Ask the instructor if she/he can show you some ways to slightly alter the workout to make it more intense for you... I know my instructor shows us ways to make it a little easier (when my shin splints are acting up) and a little more difficult (for cases such as these).

You don't have to stop the class all together either... maybe just take it down to 3 classes a week and do a new workout routine the other 2 days.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ARe the moves the same every day? I know when you do the same routine over and over your body gets accustomed to those motions and you don't burn as much. Maybe try doing a different type of class for a while and see if that helps.
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    YES! I barely break a sweat anymore! It's frustrating, because I LOVE Zumba and actually enjoy going to class! I've added lifting to my workout routine and that has made a huge impact on my weight loss! I still go to Zumba, but I make sure to get in other types of cardio exercises as well... try cutting back a couple days a week and find a substitute exercise instead.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this with other exercise and my understanding is that our bodies get accustomed to an exercise, those muscles get toned for being used that way, and we become more efficient. Change it up. Do something different that uses different muscles or uses them in a different way. You might also consider taking up a couple of different types of exercise and alternate. One exercise plan I worked with had 4 different workouts and said right up front: don't do any one of these for more than 3 months, max - then switch to another one.
    Good luck finding a replacement you like!
  • jessica05h
    jessica05h Posts: 17
    Options
    I will vouch for the slower burn rate as well. I use the Nike+ app on my iPod and as soon as I entered a lower weight the app gave me less calories for running the same distance at the same rate. Just the *downside* of being skinnier! :)
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened with me a couple months ago. I can't bear to stop going because I am loyal and it is so much fun so I added a weight routine before the class for about 15-20 minutes to get an extra burn.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you do the same exercise all the time your body becomes more efficient at doing it an burns less calories. Also, as you lose weight you burn less calroies doing the same activity.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    It's because you are becoming more fit. You should change your workout and you will start burning the calories again. After a few months you can go back to zumba.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have been attending Zumba religiously 5 days a week since about February. I have now hit a standstill in my weight and I don't burn the calories I used to burn in this class. Most days it's under 500 cals.

Have any of you experienced this?

Are you doing Zumba at home or at the gym? If you have a gym membership, try to sample other classes besides Zumba. Kickboxing, Step Aerobics, Toning, and Hip Hop classes all are good workouts, and they work the body in different ways. Sometimes you might want to run on the treadmill or ride the elliptical too. By finding time to do all these different workouts, you will see better results. If you're at a standstill with your weight, look into your diet. Never try to cover up bad eating practices with exercise because you'll just get frustrated.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Yes me too! I thought maybe going to a different instructor would help but even then, still under 600. I always end up doing another workout like a DVD or running on the treadmill beause my burns aren't the same. I've recently gotten back into spinning and a little running here and there. I love Zumba though, it's tough to give it up :( Good luck to you!
  • omgsayalathieo
    Options
    I just noticed the same thing yesterday! I'm going to continue to do Zumba but add a few other workouts in the same day.
  • Gillott232
    Gillott232 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is common with Zumba, but its because you body adjust to the workout that you've been giving it. I was speaking to a fellow instructor about this a few weeks ago and he was telling me that the best thing you can do when this happens is change it up a bit. Drop a Zumba class or two, so instead fo going 5 days per week, go every other day, and try something different on the other days, resistance training, pilates, Pump!, or something more muscle/toning related. Zumba advocated a great resistance training program along with it. I dont obvsiouly know who your instructor is, but if your class is highly populated with older adults (where an instructor might tone the intensity down), try to find a class that is a bit more extreme, and sometimes even a new instructor can just change things up a little. Or even try a Zumba Toning Class if offered where you are. Those are great as well.. not as fun as regular zumba but boy they work your body out!

Hope you find a solution and dont have to swear off Zumba forever!