189 lost in 20 months: 8 months into maintenance update with some pictures :)

Options
I have posted this in the Success stories forum also as I am never quite sure where to post.

I have been asked for an update on how maintenance is going for me after a post I made some months back. Rather than linking to the old paost I thought I would reproduce it and give a maintenance update at the end. I have also added some photographs.

Previous post:

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with congenital heart failure and was told I needed open heart surgery to replace my right ventricle valve and to repair my triscupid valve. At the same time I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea. This was on top of the arthritis and gout that I was constantly suffering from. At the point of discharge from hospital after a 29 night stay I weighed 19st7lb (273lb) and was told that I needed open heart surgery but they would not even consider doing it until I had got my weight down to a maximum of 15st (210lb). For the next 2-3 years I completely ignored everybody's advice including the heart consultant. By this time I had ballooned to 23st7lb (329lb); on one of my regular visits to the cardiac ward my consultant came straight to the point and told me I would be dead within 5 years and I had to make a choice. I have to admit it felt like a challenge and I still ignored him for a while. During this time I was getting constant gout attacks and if it wasn't gout it was arthritis; one morning I woke up and thought to myself "I can't do this any more" and made a decision that day to change.

15 months later after beating the diabetes (now gone) and the sleep apnoea (I no longer sleep with a papa machine) the gout has totally stopped bothering me, in fact this was the first major health milestone for me. More importantly for myself I had my open heart surgery done 13 weeks ago and now have a new heart valve. I weighed 12st7lb (175lb). I have today finished a physiotherapy course at the QE hospital in Birmingham cardiac rehabilitation suite.

I have no wise words of wisdom for you, we all have our own paths, it does seem to me though if I can do it with all of the problems I have faced then I think most of you probably can do it. :-)

One other thing to mention. When I was ill I was on many medications. Metformin, Spironolactone, Bumetinide, Ramipril, Gliclazide, Pravastatin, Colchisine and a few others I cant remember the names of. Today I am absolutely free of any medication other than an advised 75mg daily Aspirin and my multivits. Life is looking positive for me. Time to go in to maintenance and I am under no illusion that this could be even harder than any challenge I have faced, but I think I am up to it :-)

A few photographs of my progress:

At or above 329lb (wasn't really counting at the time)

DSCF0006_zpse1143420.jpg

Enjoying some Christmas pudding althought the signs of illness where there to see.

1_zpsb7580e92.jpg

At this point I weighed 189lb but was 10st (140lb) lighter; still suffering with heart failure although I was feeling much healthier. lost the type 2 diabetes by this time.

12_zps2bcaa789.jpg

2 days after open heart surgery and already smiling ;-)

17_zpsaeb16473.jpg

After some R&R this was taken back at the begining of March 2015 weighing in at 140lb. Started doing some light weights, and some treadmill work. They aint my smudges on the mirrors in the gym lol

20150311_152900_zpsruo8sxum.jpg

Short update:

Since the above picture was taken I have kept myself busy. Firstly I still weigh exactly 140lb. I took up jogging and I joined parkrun. I have since completed 9x 5k park runs, PB 33:45 not fast I know but I'm just happy to get around the course without stopping or keeeling over at any point. I had my HBA1C done last week and it was perfect according to my GP, that is now 2 years officially clear of T2 diabetes. My cholesterol is 3.7. When I was in weight loss mode my average calorie intake was around 1250 which I know is extremely low but as I was suffering from heart failure for most of that time it was pretty difficult for me to burn any serious calories through exercise so it was better for me to lose them from my diet. I'm happy to say that nowadays I am maintaining on an average of 2200kcals per day and if truth be know I could probably easily puch that to 2500 per day without any significant gains. I wont though as I feel fitter now than I have at any point in the psat 20 years. next update maybe if I ever make 12 months maintenance, I am all too well aware of the pitfalls of getting too confident or becoming complacent.

Rectent pictures:

Nice day for a 5k park run

0194_zpsv95v5amm.jpg

Still enjoying the occassional light snack lol

20150407_190049_1_zps977sxt5k.jpg

Selfie taken a couple of days ago

20150620_122156_zpsgiuzymbr.jpg

I wish you all the greatest of success in you endeavours

Zezel :-)

Replies

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Way to go! What an inspiration you are!
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well done
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! Well done

:heart:
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The dark circles under your eye are almost GONE !
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    wow that is inspirational and you look so handsome now
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You rock! Congrats on your amazing transformation!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You looked on death's door before! You look so much healthier now!
  • bethheyyy
    bethheyyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing!! Keep up the great work!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! So happy for you. Thank you for giving me exactly what I needed to read this morning.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Love this! I'm so happy you were able to change your health complications around like that! Exercise and healthy eating really is the best "drug"

Congrats on all of the 5k too! Sounds like you caught the running bug ;)
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are a success!!!!! Way to go!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    wow!!!!