What's your plan for Ramadan?

Options
Happy Ramadan to all dieters fasting next Thursday.
I haven't been working with a nutritionist since I started my weight loss journey last year. I might consider that later. But as you know Ramadan is coming up soon and it may be confusing to start new a new nutrition regimen just in that month. Anyways, if you're in that same situation, let's share our plans.
I entered my plan for next Friday and Saturday (just the sohor and snacks for an example without iftar meal) :wink: and the most scary thing is how much sugar I would consume even with being careful and staying away from the traditional Ramadan specials. You know, konafa, katayef, kamar el den, and all those sugary monsters :smiley:

Replies

• StellaMA20
    StellaMA20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem to you too! I've cut refined sugar and lessened caffeine considerably in my diet to avoid withdrawal during fasts....my plan is lots of protein! And cooked veggies! But with my 11 hour a day job, there is no way that I can afford a sugar crash. I'm primarily maintaining weight or trying to very slowly lose 8-9 lbs...so I am going to stick to mostly that during Ramadan.
  • aseaprincess112
    aseaprincess112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    meadowey wrote: »
    Ramadan Kareem to you too! I've cut refined sugar and lessened caffeine considerably in my diet to avoid withdrawal during fasts....my plan is lots of protein! And cooked veggies! But with my 11 hour a day job, there is no way that I can afford a sugar crash. I'm primarily maintaining weight or trying to very slowly lose 8-9 lbs...so I am going to stick to mostly that during Ramadan.

Well thought plan! Maintaining weight is a success in Ramadan, you know. But good luck and thanks for sharing ;)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm Christian so I can't relate directly. But my job has a serious spike in workload every year. During that time I just try to maintain as anything else is too much. Given the different eating schedule you follow at this time I would think maintaining would be a good goal. But also being careful not to get out of control in the evening so that you find it easier to go back to your controlled eating after the month is over.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Would looking into how short-window intermittent fasting works be helpful? Basically it's going to be the same principal - fitting a day's worth of nutrition into a short eating period.
    Good luck!
  • StellaMA20
    StellaMA20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    how many hours are you all fasting? I'd be interested to know what foods work well for others for long fasts and what don't? For suhoors, I'm planning a small portion of full fat cheese and a protein shake from soy milk, and something else, maybe eggs on the side - if I can manage. I'm interested in what works for others for suhoor. Iftar is generally easier. My fasts would be from 3.30am to 8.00pm- approx. 17 hr fasts...
  • kingnarsis
    kingnarsis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am mostly concerned about caffeine withdrawal :( I work long hours of brain-job and need to be fully alert. Any advice there?
  • aseaprincess112
    Options
    @ Tubbs216 not sure what you mean by "short-window intermittent fasting" but I'll look into it.

@ kingnarsis my heart with you. I don't do caffeine. My last cup of coffee was almost 3 years ago. It's a weird kind of sober!! Anyways, thank you all for sharing. Apparently, the best goal for Ramadan is maintaining. But I always reach for more, and in that case would be losing 2 kg. Fingers crossed.

Another thing I suggest we keep this post or another updated with how our fitness and nutrition plans are working in Ramadan.

And here's the first update :) I'm certainly not counting the hours. If I do, I'd lose it.
    And a reminder to myself and everyone. Don't stuff yourself with food, either on sohour or iftar. Bad bad thing!!
    A good thing is to "break your fast" on tamr (dates) and some water. I'll see how that works and keep you updated.

• sarasakoor
    sarasakoor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Slmz and ramadan mubarak! I have zero will power at the time of breaking fast! Dates are so calorie-dense...i did not realise this before. So stuck on traditional, oil laden savouries that im missing it big time!
  • KhanChristina
    KhanChristina Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Salaams ya'll! Christina from Texas wishing you a Happy Ramadan!

I have been cutting since April & I refuse to let Ramadan de-rail me! Here's my plan:

Breakfast at 4am: 700 calories 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat totally balanced

1st workout of day after subh prayer (about 6:30am): 20 min moderate cardio, heart rate up, build to light sweat, toning 40 min upper body/lower body on alternating days

Go to work for day, pick up toddler @ 6pm, get dinner ready by 6:30pm

2nd workout of day 90 minutes before maghrib prayer (7pm): 40 min heavy cardio, sweat pouring off! 20 min strength train lower body/upper body on alternating days, supersets heavy, heavy, heavy...wanna die when I'm done:) jk

8 - 8:40: read Qur'an, make adhkar, devotion

8:40: chow down! Dinner also 700 calories 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat totally balanced

Sleep at 11:30 after night prayers

Please send me your feedback! Especially interested in your thoughts about my ratios for macros at both meals.
  • bobation
    bobation Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i work like every normal day then i go to gym before eftar...usually my iftar starts with a decent amount of water .then i eat moderatly with a nice chunk of salade...at sa7our i eat something very light ...happy ramadan all ))))
  • aseaprincess112
    Options

I have been cutting since April & I refuse to let Ramadan de-rail me! Here's my plan:

1st workout of day after subh prayer (about 6:30am): 20 min moderate cardio, heart rate up, build to light sweat, toning 40 min upper body/lower body on alternating days

2nd workout of day 90 minutes before maghrib prayer (7pm): 40 min heavy cardio, sweat pouring off! 20 min strength train lower body/upper body on alternating days, supersets heavy, heavy, heavy...wanna die when I'm done:) jk

8:40: chow down! Dinner also 700 calories 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat totally balanced

Please send me your feedback! Especially interested in your thoughts about my ratios for macros at both meals.

good plan christina keep it up and Ramadan kareem
  • IrSam68
    IrSam68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hope that it is still not too late to wish all the Moslem members Salam Ramadhan Al Kareem.
    Check out the following tips on how to work out during fasting month:

http://youtu.be/EYf9b7NxZKc

And on suggested meal plans:

http://youtu.be/-vBY4obyxCo
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a humanist but live in the Middle East. During Ramadan I wait with my evening runs until sunset and only run around the housing complex I live in and not outside. And enjoy the lovely food currently available everywhere :blush:
  • linstapler
    linstapler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My plan for this Ramadhan is to eat a more balance meals with more vegetables and fruits. I do short 20min simple workouts after subh prayer and some strength training in the evening.

By the way, this is a good health guide to read: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/equalops/resources/a_guide_to_healthy_fasting.pdf
  • sid80
    sid80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby couple of months ago, so am keeping my protein intake high, and workout in the afternoon, 30 mins hiit on treadmill and 20 mins strength
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I'm tired just reading this. I'm impressed with your devotion -- to fitness and to your religion! :-)
  • KhanChristina
    KhanChristina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Salaams ALL YA'LL! How's it going? I am continuing to lose, only at a slower pace. Last 30 days (including the last 2 weeks fasting) lost 6 lbs and 4 inches. In the previous 30 days (fasting only 2 days/week) I lost 11# and 9 inches. You can do it! Keep it up. Ramadan will be over before we even realize:)
  • rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    glad i found this thread. Ramadan kareem.
    seems like i,m the only one not doing any exercise at all during Ramadan.
    anyway, i m closely watching what i eat, i eat lots of carb specially fruit tough but i m still loosing nicely.
    feel free to add me i have open diary.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Ramadan noodles.