I Don't Own A Scale...Is that Bad?

Options
Okay so...I don't own a scale. I don't intend on owning a scale because it will make me neurotic and crazy. I've never really been into weighing myself. I've always based my weight on the way my clothes fit and what the mirror tells me and how I feel inside. Now that I am getting serious about leading a healthier lifestyle, do you guys think I am hindering myself by not having a scale? I understand how it can be helpful for tracking my progress... I just don't want to get so caught up in the numbers that I don't recognize the progress I'm making on building healthier habits.

What does everyone think? Should I get one or can I pass on getting a scale?

Thanks!

LB

Replies

• Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd say get a measuring tape instead. Measure yourself once a month or so to make sure you're getting whatever results you want. The scale will make you neurotic and if you've made it this far without one, then you don't need to start now...

that's one girl's opinion. :)
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Maybe just get a measuring tape if you don't want a scale or can't get one. I noticed that I went through a phase where I didn't lose lbs for a few weeks but I did lose inches. Sometimes it is more motivational to see inches drop rather than lbs, but we are all different. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a scale because I tend to weight every other day but only "count" it once a week.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale in favor of measuring tape. The scale makes me feel defeated. Measuring tape has been an easier method, emotionally. :laugh:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You are probably better off without it! If you know it will make you crazy, don't get one! How you feel and losing inches is way more important than that number!
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I threw mine out! I weight myself once a week at my mom's house. When I did have a scale I weighed myself obsessively and I knew it wasn't healthy.
  • FrayK
    FrayK Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi LB,

Now that you are serious, definitely get a scale. I totally know what you mean about the neurotic thing. A few years ago, when I was a size 4, I weighed myself daily, to make certain that I maintained my weight. Now, I hide it away beneath my bed, and take it out only to weigh myself only twice monthly. The numbers help me with accountability, as well as a true measure of my progress. A scale can be a useful tool, within the right context. Oh, I am certain to weigh myself at the same time each month, as my cycle does affect the number staring back at me. So, the 2x monthly that I weigh myself, are consistent with the state/phase of my body, in relation to my cycle, each month. Hope that helps. :-)
  • Laquia
    Laquia Posts: 11
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE! Measuring tape it is! Going to go get one tomorrow because sadly...I don't own one of those either.
  • sallycheese
    sallycheese Posts: 33
    Options
    i don't own a scale either, i use the electronic ones in the town,once a week,i would weigh myself every day if i had one
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If you plan on following the mfp program then you need to know what you weigh so you know how many calories
    to eat and of course as you lose you need to input your weight so the calories will adjust but you
    dont have to own a scale you could just use one at the gym or dr office and continue to go by your
    measurements.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Neither do I. I weigh myself at the gym and only about once a week. I have a tendency to be too obsessed with the number so it's best for me not to weigh all the time :)
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale and haven't for about 15 years for the same reason. I chose to find an inexpensive weight loss support group in my area where I weigh only once a week and to hold myself accountable. I think if I had a scale back in my house, I would become obsessed with weighing myself and then become unhappy every time I weighed and didn't see positive results.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale for the exact same reason. When my husband and I got our first house he flatly refused to let me get one, and 15 years on I still haven't. I weigh myself at my parents' house when we visit.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Inches and clothes are best way to see your results...and pictures. A number could not budge for weeks but your clothes start to feel loose.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You don't need to have a scale, no. Using pcitures and taking measurements periodically will be perfectly good measures of success.

You may want to purchase a food scale so that you can accurately track your calories though.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Nope, i only weigh myself once a month and that's at the doctors. I prefer to review my dairy daily. Checking those numbers typically keeps in in check.
  • bethy73
    bethy73 Posts: 39
    Options
    Since I don't have any balance, not only do I not have a scale, but getting an accurate weight is very difficult. My mom is a nurse so I asked her if she could get an initial weight using the scale at the hospital and periodic weights while I'm using MFP. Otherwise, I'm just going to go by the fact that my clothes are fitting looser. I might just have to invest in a tape measure as well. That's a good tip.

~Beth
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I had planned to buy one and decided not to. I only weigh myself at the gym once a week and no more. This forces me to get to that gym on Monday when I'm tired from the long weekend work week. And I don't obsess over it.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My scale's in the basement.

Yes, the basement.

Because if it were in the bathroom or bedroom or anywhere close to a well-travelled area, I'd weigh myself five times a day.

Hence the basement, out of sight, out of mind (kinda)
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Since I don't have any balance, not only do I not have a scale, but getting an accurate weight is very difficult. My mom is a nurse so I asked her if she could get an initial weight using the scale at the hospital and periodic weights while I'm using MFP. Otherwise, I'm just going to go by the fact that my clothes are fitting looser. I might just have to invest in a tape measure as well. That's a good tip.

~Beth

I have the same problem on the two occaisions I have weighed in I've had help but this isn't ideal