Healthy snacks?

Options
I've been trying to stay away from chips and ice cream but I'm also looking for a healthy alternative. I've been eating almonds in between meals but turns out they're quite high in calories too. Any other ideas?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to snacks are: string cheese, popcorn, protein bars, Greek yogurt, beef or turkey jerky, hard boiled eggs, Wasabi peas, carrots and hummus, apples and peanut butter.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    applesauce, sugar free pudding, a couple of graham cracker squares, pre-cut veggies, boiled shrimp, ham or turkey roll ups.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like baby carrots with dip (hummus, tzatziki sauce, ranch, whatever you want.) I buy a big bag and portion it out into ziploc snack bags with a set number of grams (100 is a good size) to make them easy to log and to take on trips. A bag of 170g baby carrots is around 60 calories (or something less really low) and is almost too much to eat in one sitting.
    One cut up apple with a tbsp of peanut butter and cinnamon is very good. For a sweet snack, I like Dove chocolates which range from about 35-45 calories per piece. If you really like the almonds, try having a small amount (maybe 4 or 5) with a piece of fruit or a cube of cheese.
    For a trashy picnic classic, spread a little bit of cream cheese (reduced fat/Neufchatel if you want to go even lower) on a slice of ham, wrap it around a pickle spear, and slice into 5-6 bites. They're salty, a little sweet, and a little creamy, which makes them great to eat when you have a craving and don't feel like cooking (which is me basically every day in the summer.)
    Sliced cucumbers make a good substitute if you want something crunchy without the calories of chips. Spoon a little guacamole or onion dip on each one and eat as cute bites.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my new favorite summer thing is to put a packet of diet hot cocoa mix, a half-cup of milk, and about 3/4 cup crushed ice the blender to make frozen hot chocolate. It's icy, rather than creamy, but has less than 100 calories (exactly 100 if you use whole milk,) is fairly low sugar and fat, and is really refreshing for the summer.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I blend together some fruit and nonfat or lowfat yogurt, then freeze them in ice pop molds. About 50 calories per pop. You can also make coffee or chocolate ones or use any fruit.

If I am craving salty I like celery with hummus with a cup of broth when it's cold.

And if nothing else will do buy a tiny bag of chips (140 cal) and eat it with lots of pico de gallo. And only once in a blue moon because salt=bloat among other things.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to snacks: string cheese, Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, any fresh fruit, celery with a little PB, hummus and carrots.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    20 calorie Splenda creamsicle
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Almonds are a once, maybe twice, a day thing for me - a small handful = 1 serving. I love them but don't want to give up too many calories to just nuts. So.... a sliced up red bell pepper. Celery with guacamole or hummus or tzatziki. Or by itself. Carrots. Broccoli / cauliflower / other veggies and home made yogurt dip. A nice crisp medium apple. Big thick slice of a nice cheese. High protein Greek yogurt with some berries. If I'm running that day (most days) I've no problem with a high protein (20g) Clif bar or something like that.

A substantial snack? A can (or half a can) of tuna or wild Sockeye salmon on a simple salad with yogurt + dill, some salt and pepper, a few sliced tomatoes. Delicious and filling. Make it a bit bigger, whole can of fish, now it's the bulk of a meal.

I don't find myself reaching for snacks other than the sort of things listed. I reduce my desire for snacks by having good meals. A 2 or 3 egg omelette will keep me going for quite a while. A lower-carb (not low-carb, I'm talking 35% on average), higher protein + fats diet seems to keep me satiated.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas in spices (garlic powder, chilli etc), yoghurt with chopped fruit, plain boiled eggs.
  • lynlen
    lynlen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, carrots, pea crisps
  • mimimissie975
    mimimissie975 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    I blend together some fruit and nonfat or lowfat yogurt, then freeze them in ice pop molds. About 50 calories per pop. You can also make coffee or chocolate ones or use any fruit.

If I am craving salty I like celery with hummus with a cup of broth when it's cold.

And if nothing else will do buy a tiny bag of chips (140 cal) and eat it with lots of pico de gallo. And only once in a blue moon because salt=bloat among other things.

I love the ice pop idea. Perfect for the summer <3 thanks!!
  • mimimissie975
    Options
    Oh, and my new favorite summer thing is to put a packet of diet hot cocoa mix, a half-cup of milk, and about 3/4 cup crushed ice the blender to make frozen hot chocolate. It's icy, rather than creamy, but has less than 100 calories (exactly 100 if you use whole milk,) is fairly low sugar and fat, and is really refreshing for the summer.

Wow this would last me a whole month haha. I love fruits and penutbutter so i'll drfinitely try that one out. Thanks!!
  • mimimissie975
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Almonds are a once, maybe twice, a day thing for me - a small handful = 1 serving. I love them but don't want to give up too many calories to just nuts. So.... a sliced up red bell pepper. Celery with guacamole or hummus or tzatziki. Or by itself. Carrots. Broccoli / cauliflower / other veggies and home made yogurt dip. A nice crisp medium apple. Big thick slice of a nice cheese. High protein Greek yogurt with some berries. If I'm running that day (most days) I've no problem with a high protein (20g) Clif bar or something like that.

A substantial snack? A can (or half a can) of tuna or wild Sockeye salmon on a simple salad with yogurt + dill, some salt and pepper, a few sliced tomatoes. Delicious and filling. Make it a bit bigger, whole can of fish, now it's the bulk of a meal.

I don't find myself reaching for snacks other than the sort of things listed. I reduce my desire for snacks by having good meals. A 2 or 3 egg omelette will keep me going for quite a while. A lower-carb (not low-carb, I'm talking 35% on average), higher protein + fats diet seems to keep me satiated.

Yeah I have a whole jar of almonds so I find myself unconsciously reaching for them sometimes
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, apple, banana, yogurt with granola...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit, fruit and more fruit.

Cherries are very good right now, but that'll end soon enough!
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My favourite snacks are popcorn (120 cals a bag!) and oatmeal :) Oatmeal comes in so many yummy flavours. I'm eating "dino pourage" right now. But I also LOVE cookies and cream oatmeal :)
  • lizzay30
    lizzay30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love strawberry banana smoothies which consist of 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 raw banana, and 1 cup of orange juice, and if I want something sweeter and more creamy, I substitute milk in for the orange juice. I find that when I'm craving ice cream, I go for the smoothie with milk instead and it kind if tastes like ice cream! :)