Lack of self disapline

Options
How do you stay motivated? I love looking at all the before and afters, they really help, but only as long as I'm not hungry/bored/emotional. How do I address my reasons for eating? How do I stick to something? I am seriously considering lap band surgery, I just have no will power and I don't want a 'quick fix' which I know in reality its not!

How am I ever going to do this :(

Replies

• Lib1927
    Lib1927 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How do you stay motivated? I love looking at all the before and afters, they really help, but only as long as I'm not hungry/bored/emotional. How do I address my reasons for eating? How do I stick to something? I am seriously considering lap band surgery, I just have no will power and I don't want a 'quick fix' which I know in reality its not!

How am I ever going to do this :(
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am going to say something silly.

When I looked at your picture I thought....she will slim down nicely! After thinking about it I mean, you are evenly distributed. When you lose the 1st 10 we will see it immediately!!

You are a lovely lady, and that little girl is encouragement enough for you. You will do ANYTHING for her, wont you??? Then eat healthy and exercise and ask her to join in!!

Marla has 9 kids doing push ups with her!!!:laugh: :laugh:

How will you do it? One pound at a time. The way I look at it is, the week is going to pass either way....cant stop it....so at the end of this week will I be 1 pound heavier or 1 pound lighter....it is my choice.

In the beginning I dieted 1 meal at a time!!! I swear!! I could NOT think about 6 months 60 pounds....I set my ticker up for a 10 pound loss and made my motto:
    I am going to eat healthier and exercise, if I lose weight in the meantime, wonderful!!
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Sweetie, you just take it like I am....one day at a time. We did not get this way overnight. My motivation? Other then the normal.....health, hate looking this way stuff...is....... 8 months from now, what would I have to say if I didn't do it? At least the motivation for me is..in 8 months (which is gonna come whether I want it to or not...I might as well put it to good use and learn better eating habits. No, it's not easy. I'm a junk food eater....i love chips, dips, cake....and I CAN have it....but I have to limit my intake...and LOG LOG LOG it in.....so I know where my limits are. BALANCE.

By the way...you've already started...you posted. That took courage for yourself there!

:flowerforyou: Lisabeth
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    THis website is EXTREMELY helpful! Once you get to know some of the folks on here (I'm just now starting to get to know them) it makes it fun because you have all these great people around you encouraging you.

If you're anything like me you don't have any friends or anything trying to make the journey with you who will REALLY hold you accountable. My boyfriend will say things like "should you really eat that?" but I just tell him to mind his own business and he does. ON here if you say "I really want some pizza!" (or whatever..) they'll actually give you REASONS not to eat and and help you be accountable.

Another thing that helps me is being honest with myself. I used to cheat and not log the bad foods i would eat becausee then it felt more like i hadn't eaten them and i didn't see my calories go over, but all that did was cheat myself out of what I REALLY wanted.

I knwo I haven't lost much weight yet (had lost 20 and then agained 28 back :grumble: ) but my motivation is DEFINITELY renewed, thanks in part to alot of those things I just mentioned.

You'll get there! I have faith in you and I hope to see you around the boards more often!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kwick2009
    Options
    It's amazing how many of us think the same way sometimes. I love looking at all the before and after photos, too. Sometimes I even envision that one of those sets of photos is me, until I look in the mirror and realize it's not. One day at a time is the way I am keeping myself focused on my goal. I've tried so many "quick fix" diets, but the thing is diets don't work, lifestyle changes do. I wrote more about this in my blogs. Motivation is a big part, but so is allowing yourself to be human. Realizing that most "quick fixes" are only tempoary, and gradual lifestyle changes in the way we eat and exercise is what will help you reach and keep that weightloss goal. I'm not an expert, but after all the diets I've tried and books I've read on weightloss it just makes sense. :smile:

You've started the journey... might as well keep on going til you reach your goal. Know that you have new friends that will walk beside you the whole way. :happy:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    A book I read that helped was Scale Down by Dana Demetre. There are Q&A for you to go through to look at the "why "are you eating. She is a Christian and some might be turned off by that. I did not find her to be preachy at all though.

Motivation, keep checking in here. Everyone is great and wants to be with you on your journey to a healthier you!