Anyone from the NW of England?

Options
alco1966
alco1966 Posts: 56 Member
Hi, anyone from the North West of England want to buddy up for moral support, share ideas, tips etc...

Replies

• nataliadisensi
    nataliadisensi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im in Bolton?
  • annerylance
    annerylance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in Liverpool??
  • alco1966
    Options
    hi ladies, thank you for the replies x hope you ae both well xx may I add you has friends x
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband is from Lincolnshire - but we're in the States now.
  • kiwieats
    kiwieats Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Manchester :)
  • alco1966
    Options
    Im in Oldham so close to a couple of you... (my apologies for the spelling mistakes above)
    Snowhappens, did you mean Lancashire? Linconshire isnt North West... we have friends who live in the states :-) x hope you are all enjoying this lovely weather at the moment, makes it so much easier to eat salads x
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm from Blackpool. BTW I've recently discovered that the NHS has targetted the NW as a place where they want to have a big push on obesity. So, if you're over a certain BMI (usually 30 or so) you should check out you local NHS online, and see if you qualify for various kinds of support. Being in B'pool, which is one of the worst places for overweight people, I discovered that I could self-refer (no GP referral needed) myself for free weight loss support and exercise classes (with qualified NHS nutritionists and physios) plus a massively discounted local gym membership. Win win!! I'm down 8lb in 5 weeks, thanks to MFP, plus I get to use 4 different brand new, state of the art gym facilities in my town for half the price of a standard membership for a year. Nothing bad about that!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Cheshire here.
  • esmecash
    esmecash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Blackpool here too. :) Dizzie, how did you get the cheap gym? I've been to that choose to change thing before but I didn't get on well with it. I'd be interested in trying the gym though when I've lost a little bit more weight. 78lbs down and counting :D
  • vickihuk
    vickihuk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oldham here :)
  • alco1966
    Options
    Hi peeps :) Dizy I work with different agencies and unfortunatly I dont get anything cheap.. brilliant that you get the gym though ... and well done to everyone on how much they have lost... Iv managed to lose 4lb in a week, trouble I have is I struggle to eat enough calories, set my goal at 1000 but it said i need to eat 1,250..
  • alco1966
    Options
    hi vicky, your not my next door neighbour are you :D
  • alco1966
    Options
    hi ladies / gents.... last night hubby and I had Ostrich steak... it was lovely, really lean, tasty and only 118... very low in fat (hardly any) tastes similar to beef.. give it a try ..oh and a fraction of the price compared to beef..
  • dizzieblondeuk
    Options
    esmecash wrote: »
    Blackpool here too. :) Dizzie, how did you get the cheap gym? I've been to that choose to change thing before but I didn't get on well with it. I'd be interested in trying the gym though when I've lost a little bit mting :D
    We have the 'choose to change' program here - for people over a 35 BMI. I'm in a separate Blackpool specific program for people over 30BMI. I suspect other NHS trusts are different. Blackpool gets special funding for a bit of stuff because national surveys show Blackpool as oneof the worst towns in the whole country for a whole host of health related issues.

As for the program itself, I do enjoy it (as someone coming back to exercise after a looooong break, and having a bad back, having physios there who can guide and advise correct form and suggest types of suitable exercise has been invaluable.

The 'healthy eating' section has been less useful simply because I already had a good grasp of that stuff, just a previous lack of willpower! The accountabilty - weekly weigh ins - even for the short time they're offered (12 weeks) is good, and has given me a great starting point and good groundwork for the future.

It has, however, been an eye opener as to how uneducated so many people are about food and their calories! My food log on MFP has changed the way I approach every meal. I can see those sessions do the same thing for other people.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    Options
    ETA the gym thing was separate from the Energise Blackpool program. That was as a voucher program from my GP, and is for 12 months. Worth asking about it at your surgery, because I don't know what the qualifying criteria are. I do think the Sport Blackpool membership is pretty good value, even at full price. The use of all 4 council leisure centres in the town are included in one price (£33 pm), and they have so much going on at each one.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    Options
    Just to say, well done on the 78lb loss, esmecash!
  • vickihuk
    vickihuk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hi ladies / gents.... last night hubby and I had Ostrich steak... it was lovely, really lean, tasty and only 118... very low in fat (hardly any) tastes similar to beef.. give it a try ..oh and a fraction of the price compared to beef..

I don't think so Alison ha - I'm Chadderton

• alco1966
    Options
    hahahah vicky you dont know what you are missing.. it was lovely... I work in Chadderton x
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in southport x
  • alco1966
    Options
    Hi Clare, Southport isnt far from me either :-) so many people close together x