Why do I do this to myself?

Options
I feel so disappointed in myself. I took the easy route today, right through McDonalds Drive thru. Why do I do this to myself. I just logged in what I ate and the calories and fat content is through the roof....no way to recover from this. I still have supper to deal with. I'm at work for the next 10 hours and there's no way I could work this off. Why do we do this to ourselves. I feel ashamed.

Replies

• kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Everyone has these kinds of moments. Tomorrow is a new day!! Start fresh and don't give up!! You made a choice to begin a new lifestyle which is a huge step in the right direction. Look at what you have done so far!! You should be extremely proud!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and feel horrible about it! But, you have to remember that that is what you've done for TODAY, and tomorrow is a new day (and tonight you still have an opportunity to eat healthy/well at dinner). Don't let just today discourage you so much that you quit- look how far you've come and tell yourself that you don't want to go back!
  • BethanieK
    BethanieK Posts: 201
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed! Everyone will hit some bumps along the way. Just recognize that maybe you made a poor decision today, but tomorrow you'll do better! The trick to being successful is to keep on keeping on, when you stumble-get up, try again. Life isn't measured by the mistakes you make, it's by how you can recover from them. :)

Chin up, I know you'll do better tomorrow!

-Bethanie :)
  • kayrevan
    kayrevan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just finish out the day the best you can, and try again tomorrow!!!! I do not think one bad chouce defines who you are, I think repetitve bad choices is what defines us. So wake up tomorrow, make better choices and move on!
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Just think that this is not a sprint. It's a marathon. You have just delayed reaching your goals by a few days. Don't feel ashamed, it can happen to any of us :)
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you feel the temptation or just for the convenience of it use a drive thru, try to look up before hand what you can order off of the menus that wont kill your day. I still go to restaurants and socialize with friends out to dinner and eat fast food (not all the time mind you) and I am still managing to lose weight. I just look for the best options beforehand so I know exactly what to order. Sometimes in life, we just don't have the magic carrot box in hand, you just have to do the best you can with where you are at the moment. Just try to make sure you stick to your calories and get in some exercise tomorrow! Don't beat yourself up.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Try not to beat yourself up. Every day is a new day. We all have "bad" days when we make choices that aren't in our best interests. What's done is done. In the past. Try and have a good rest of the day and let what happened go. Beating yourself up for it over and over won't help any.

:)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    If the golden urge strikes again, and you're not in a salad or wrap mood, get the kids' 4 piece nugget meal, apples instead of fries, skip the caramel dip, and water to drink. The nuggete are actually not that bad calorie and fat-wise compared to a burger.

Hang in there... Tomorrow is another day to make things right. :wink:
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Dont let this get you off track from the bigger picture of getting healthier!
    Just get right back on track and dont beat yourself up so much! We all have our moments, but can't let it stop us from achieving our goals!!!!!
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed, tomorrow is another day. Don't look back, just keep moving forward. Drink a lot of water, maybe you can go for a walk tonight or on your break, just to burn off a few extra calories. Choose something healthy for dinner and don't get discouraged. Just remember: A minute on the lips... FOREVER on the hips!! If you don't want to wear what you eat, choose better meals next time :)
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You're obviously doing well, look at your tracker!

Do you not think that eating this and how bad it's made you feel is almost a good thing? Yes you might feel bad about it but I bet you're not going to do it again for a long while. We all make mistakes and the good thing is that you know that next time you won't make the same mistake.

You can do it. Be strong and learn from the glitches. Beating yourself up about it is only going to
    make you feel worse :) x
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When you're on the road to a new lifestyle, there will be a few bumps - the drive thru was a bump.
    Did you say "Screw it, I already ate bad, now I'm going to eat bad the rest of the day?" I hope not! I hope you have a nice, good for you meal to get yourself back on that smooth road to feeling better. :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up, you have done what you need to and realized that going there was the bad choice, you can recover from this, I have had a bad 2 days, Yesterday i ate a good breakfast and at lunch they brought in a subway platter, I had 3 peices off of it and then ate home made pizza for dinner (all made of healthy stuff) but then i layed down n went to sleep, Then today i ate a chic fil a breakfast sandwich because a lady brought one for everyone in the office and i felt bad if i didnt eat it!! then i had 2 slices of papa johns pizza because they treated us to lunch in the office!!!!! its the DEVIL i know but we have to pick back up our good habbits that we have gained since we started this journey and eat healthy again so for dinner i wont allow myself to eat anything but a SALAD with lots of veggies!!! :) you can do this and you are already doing an AMAZING JOB!!! hold your head high!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes you CAN recover!!! Just like kayrevan said, finish the day the best you can and start anew tomorrow! Also, remember how you felt when you posted this and keep that in mind the next time the urge hits.

Keep up the good work!
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No way to recover from this? You already have!! It's over, it's done. This is a new moment. Eat supper, eat sensibly and keep moving forward. One day does not undo a diet. One meal does not undo a diet.

I didn't realize how much "accouting" I did when I was thin. I ate Micky D's (Big Macs, no less!), I ate pizza, I had beer when I wanted it. Not every day, not every meal. But I certainly did my share of drive-thru eating on impulse. But over the course of a week I balanced it with lighter meals and activity. After I had kids, I stopped doing this. And, ironically, at my heaviest weight, I was avoiding fast food and "bad" food like the plague. I gained over 30 pounds through little bites of food here and there, a handful of triscuts, my son's extra chicken nuggets...inconsquential things I barely remembered eating. Funny how having one or two big bad Micky D meals (and other yummies!) a week didn't impact my weight but mindless small choices every day, throughout the day, did.

My point is simply this: you need room in your weight loss plan for meals like these, whether planned or impulse. Make small adjusments (using MFP) for the rest of the week and you will be fine. :)
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I should add that I've lost 18 pounds using MFP and taking the advice I just gave you :). I actually lost 1.5 pounds the week I weighed in after a "binge meal" not unlike yours and I did nothing drastic. I just scaled back here and there for the rest of the week. Not every week is that good, I'm on a litttle plateau right now, but it really drove home the point for me that weight is managed across time...not in one meal or one day. So you and I have room to be perfectly imperfect!! :)
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed; we all make mistakes regardless who we are or what we are doing in life. This is just a test for you. So look at it has " i made a mistake' and all is forgiven. I make mistakes to so just think about the good things u have done while eating better. we all an't perfect. We will all make mistakes on the way. So don't be hard on yourself. Proud of u for amending your mistake that is the key of doing better tomarrow. Rita
  • esmestarz
    esmestarz Posts: 30
    Options
    we all have gone threw this!!! but we gotta get up and walk it out tomorrow is a new day we r here to suport everyone
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Dont feel ashamed. You are brave enough to post it here which means you are ready to face it. Some people say start over tomorrow. I say start over the next meal. Eat a salad for dinner or if thats not an option a high protien low carb low sugar dinner

You can do this

You will feel so empowered. Then when you can get back on the exercise routine. I've read the quote so many times "One bad meal does not blow a day, one bad day does not blow a week and one bad week does not mean give up" but its TRUE!!!
    Keep going lady.....
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I was shedding some tears reading your replies. Tomorrow is a new day, I will make better choices tomorrow. Thank- you all very much!