Post Workout Proof

Options
So I've read the articles about what we are supose to eat after working out. I adjusted my diet to eat an egg (protien) and juice (carbs) as recommended after a workout but I was wondering if anyone has seen any results in their weight loss/body make up from eating high protien and carbs right after a workout.

And I'm not into shakes and supplements just real food.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I find that the protein right after a work out helps me to not be quite so sore later on. I'm down 61lbs so it must be working so far.

Mostly I think it's about being sure you get enough protein period, MFP has the protein count set pretty low compared to a lot of things I've read so I shoot for going over that every day.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake after weight lifting and can say that my muscles recover more quickly. Not sore as long.
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    I do a post workout protein shake and I think it definitely helps with soreness. I'm seeing a lot of definition too but don't know if it is necessarily attributable to the protein or the workout.
  • kelseytanking
    Options
    Yes! Carbs and protein are very important. I've been told the carbs help your muscles to recover after workouts, and protein helps with sore muscles. I'm no trainer or anything, but it does work for me!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have never ever NOT eaten something protein + carb within an hour after working out, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    That's not part of weight loss strategy(directly). It's a recovery strategy from intense prolonged exercise(high calorie burn). Better recovery, better next work out. It's unnecessary for lower intensity workouts.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It helps me not feel so shaky and weak after I work out!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    That's not part of weight loss strategy(directly). It's a recovery strategy from intense prolonged exercise(high calorie burn). Better recovery, better next work out. It's unnecessary for lower intensity workouts.

Agreed. When you are trying to build muscle it is necessary for growth and recovery as I am doing now.

I also do a greek yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit or something...a little carbs and a good amount of protein. This is only after a heavy duty workout, 45 minutes of weight training with heavy weights.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a protein shake after my workouts for the last 2+ months and the soreness is honestly at a bare minimum. Sometimes I worry that I'm not pushing hard enough but my calorie burns say otherwise!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Getting the protein in right after an intense workout definitely helps with muscle soreness. It helps start the muscle repair process faster and means my arms (or legs) aren't sore for as long as they are if I skip the protein.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The only time I didn't have a protein shake after a hard workout, I got crazy DOMS.

Side note: fruit is not the best for PWO. Fructose replenishes liver glycogen first. You want to replenish muscle glycogen. Around this time is when sugary things can actually benefit ie. this is when I would have a low fat dessert :)